“Not worth the money or the wait!” 1 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Maynard, Massachusetts
“Not worth the money or the wait!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

This place was highly recommended by a friend of mine so I decided to take ny wife there for her birthday this past Friday. We got there at 7:20 and there were some empty tables but there were some that had tables of six & 8 then then a few of just 2 & 4 people. Our waitress came by in reasonable time to take our drink order and tell us the specials fo that evening. Our bottle of wine came then she came back about 15 minutes later to see if we wanted an appetizer which we did but also placed our dinner order at that time. At that point, it was about ten minutes of 8:00. We didn't get our meal until almost 8:45! My meal, for $17.50 was like an appetizer in itself. My wifes chickem Picata she said was tasty but the oven browned potatos were mostly burnt. We're not complainers and maybe we should be but given the time it took to get our meal (which you think they were preparing "The Last Supper"), I wasn't going to bother. I juist said, "Check please" and we were outta there. It just wasn't what I was led to expect and the wait was something you'd probably expect in Boston but at least the food was worth the wait. Not here! Don't bother! There are plenty of other Italian restaurants around for less money and 1/2 the wait time.

• Visited March 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Hudson, Massachusetts
“Food cooked by your italian aunt (assuming you have one...)”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2011

Home style cooking is always subject to interpretation, and Sophia's interpretation of italian cuisine is not bad at all. If you are in the area and plan on stopping by, do go to restaurants.com and see if you can get a coupon - the food is on the pricey side. I don't consider it "fine" dining - it is more casual dining in a very casual (and dark) atmosphere. Service was charming, witty and attentive - Kate and Mike enjoy their work. The owner, Vincenzo (well, looks can be deceiving) comes across as a stereo-type soprano who worked with the guys who know where Hoffa is... However, the cleanliness of the establishment in an old business, and the fact that he considers himself SO BUSY too busy to entertain new faces, tells you he takes his restaurant and his business very seriously (and he really doesn't care if he scares the fairy off your shoulder!). Food is cooked to order, could use a bit more attention to the seasoning, but it is hearty, portions are enough to share for 2, and all in all, the type of home cuisine you would find in one of your favorite aunt's kitchen. Not a bad choice if you are in the area - certainly better than that gross Allora in Marlborough.

• Visited August 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Ashland, MA - USA
“Good food but awful venue and ridiculous prices.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2011

The building is so old it smells musty and the decor is old and run down. Lambrusco by the glass at 7.50?! Pretty sure that's the 1.5L price at the store (not that I drink fizzy wine). We couldn't afford a bottle of wine - cheapest Chianti at $62 from a maker I don't know - ended up with a glass of the "house red" which left no impression. I won't remember the food but I will remember the Grille23 prices for what felt like eating at your grandma's old house. Sorry to be so harsh because they were all nice people but my instincts told me to run as soon as I sat down (which was right away because there was no one in the place)!

Visited August 2011
Leominster, Massachusetts
“inattentive service , pricey for ok meal not worth it....”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2011

My husband and I have been to Sophia’s twice in the past two months, First Time we went with another couple and had presented a Resturant.com gift certificate. We thought we received slow and inattentive service because we had a coupon. Over all the food was good but lack of staff made the service slow. We went with another couple April 2, told them how good the food was, but we thought we would have better service because we didn’t have a coupon. It didn’t matter, the service was worse than the 1st time, one waitress taking care of at least 10 tables, she was also the bartended, took time to get Dinks, place the order and once we got the food we never saw her again, we tried several time to get her attention for another round of drinks, it took at least 20 mi. She finally came over never asked how the food was, which 2 out of the 4 meals were tasteless. Not like the last time at all. We ordered deserts the Tiramisu was the best part and another round of drinks finally. Between the price and the service I don’t think we will go back for dinner again, maybe the dessert. I suggest hiring at least one more wait person and paying more attention to your customers might help.

• Visited April 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Marlborough, MA
“Bring Your Checkbook - Food Good but Expensive”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2010

The atmosphere and service are good but the food and wine prices of most dishes are very expensive for the area. We had not been to the restaurant in ages and decided to go there for a change. I ordered the special which was cheese ravioli in a balsamic cream sauce with Asian pears and shavings of truffle cheese. Stupid me for not asking the price, which I truly dislike when they don't tell you, it was $28.50. The veal dish we also had was only $24.50. Very expensive for cheese ravioli which was good but no way worth that price point. The wine list was also very expensive with almost every wine at $35 and up and some $280 and glasses at $9.00 on average. I had to ask the if any one ever ordered $280 a bottle of wine in Hudson and he seemed offended and told me many people do. We have a large wine cellar and find it hard to believe you would order that expensive of wine here. Service was good, but not warm and welcoming.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Been to Sophia Ristorante? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Sophia Ristorante, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.