“100% False” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Holyoke Hotel & Conference Center

You added Holyoke Hotel & Conference Center to your Saves list
Holyoke Hotel & Conference Center
245 Whiting Farms Rd., Holyoke, MA 01040 (Formerly Holyoke Holiday Inn & Conference Center)   |
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Holyoke
Plymouth, Massachusetts
“100% False”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

We chose this hotel on short notice after deciding not to drive for 3.5 hours to arrive at a Deerfield graduation by 9:30 on Sunday morning. The ads looked great, nice photos of the pool, etc. Upon arrival, we checked in, drove around back to the designated door to access our room, went to our room, and surprise, the room was already occupied!!! When returning to our car we noticed used syringes in the parking lot, amoung other strewn garbage!! Since we had already been charged, and we were tired, we still stayed. The front desk was not sympathetic that they just gave us keys to a room that was already occupied. What if they did that to us, and someone walked in, etc. The room was dated, clean, though had an odor, the bedding was clean, though beds were not confortable. Beware, and believe all of the bad reviews of this hotel, all amenities were closed, there appeared to be ongoing construction, areas were closed, other than the check-in clerk, all others we encountered were rude. Without reading any reviews, we also thought that this hotel must be used for city housing of some type. Very creepy...don't take your family there!!! We have dubbed it the Crack Hotel.

Room Tip: just don't go
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Rochester, ma
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

Strong disappointment ! We were spending the weekend to see a horse show at the Tri County Fairgrounds and this was not the closest Hotel, however it offered an on onside bar/lounge, pool table, swimming pool, and restaurant on the premises. Upon check in i asked when the bar opens? was told closed, pool closed and upon driving in we noticed the restaurant was closed. I asked the desk clerk that i selected this hotel for these amenities and he told us about a bar down the street and handed me my keyes to the room, we had to ask him where the parking location was for the room. The next morning upon checking out i again spoke to the next desk clerk on duty about my strong dissapointment and No comment at all and told me i was all set with check out. The bed tilted towards the back wall so sleeping was like leaning down all night. NOt only did i drive 20 minutes away from my weekend destination, to have these amenities that didn't exist but two separate desk clerks could have cared less about my concerns. Totally false advertising Horrible.

Room Tip: if interested make sure all the amenities you are expecting from the false website are actually ther...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Northampton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Location great for Mt Tom summer concerts - at times even concert crews have stayed here.
Recommended this hotel to friends and family when they attended concerts - Bonnie Raitt and Bob Dylan. All said they got great directions from the front desk staff - beat the traffic jams and loved the dinner recommendations eighty-eight We were told from friends that the front desk staff was.very accomodating and professional.
Also recommended family to stay here for a family wedding - again no issues and everyone was satisfied with their rooms/ sleeping arrangements. Staff again helped out family providing take out info and suggestions for music and drinks the night before he wedding. Rooms were changed easily so that all could stay close together on the same floor. We will recommend again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Massachusetts, USA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Looking at the pictures on line and the amenities, I thought this was a full service hotel. They actually have a sign covering the old one that says, Holyoke Hotel, should be Holyoke Motel, and that may be overstating. It looks like the city or state is housing woman and children in distress. The lobby was filled with young moms and their babies. Although the web site boasts a cocktail lounge and restaurant, they are both shuddered and have been for some time. The pool is also closed. Despite all this, the room was clean and quiet. However the you had to hold down the lever on the toilet so that it would flush and there was no pressure from the shower head. Not to mention the antiquated television. I will say that the night manager recommended a great local restaurant just a quarter of a mile away that was really good, JP's. I would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for one night this month because I had a funeral to attend. Normally I would do a little more research on a hotel, and boy do I wish I'd had the chance to read the excellent and accurate reviews here on tripadvisor. However, obviously I didn't have much time to organize my trip under the circumstances. AND I read about this hotel on the Holyoke Chamber of Commerce website where it is still referred to as a Holiday Inn, which gave me a sense of confidence that this hotel would be respectable. However, trust me, this is not a Holiday Inn anymore....and if I worked for that company, I'd be insisting that the town remove any residual implication that it is....

Let me begin with the positives. The people that work here are very nice and friendly. The end.

Otherwise, it's dirty, its in disrepair, there are major sections of the hotel that always stay in full darkness because lights are never turned on and/or don't work (which definitely feels like a security hazard to be forced to walk by huge dark rooms to get to my own room), the pool was empty when I stayed there, I had to try 5 machines in the workout room to find one that still works, and, to other people's posts, there are random people loitering around the parking lot at all times. I was careful to park my rental car right in front of a door and security camera (although I wouldn't be confident that they work either.)

Had I not been at the hotel for a more important reason than my own comfort, I would've kicked up a fuss for a refund and found another hotel stat. Instead, I spent as little time as I possibly could in the hotel. When I was there I made it to my room as quickly as possible and locked every lock available. And all this for $100 US.

My advice....stay away until this hotel raises its standards to a tolerable minimum.

FYI - the photo below was taken from my "Executive Floor" suite.....

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Ottawa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

The people suspecting this is a housing shelter may be onto something. When I pulled up mid-afternoon there were tons of people just hanging around with their kids. I thought there was a single moms' convention going on and it was smoke break time. After all, it's a conference center right? Then I saw 4 guys in tanktops working on a crappy car in the parking lot. For hours. Then I met the man who invited us to his bbq at the other end of the parking lot. 'Don't use the microwaves man, RADIATION!'. He was there with his baby momma(s) and assorted offspring running around. Very strange.

The key cards don't work. We had both replaced twice & couldn't open the side door once. It's a looong walk around through the front. Plus only one key worked in the room itself.

Another glaring sign that this may be a shelter of sorts is that there is no coffee in the lobby. What hotel/motel/dump/dive have you ever stayed at that didn't have a coffee machine sitting there to greet guests?

The in-room info binder said there was breakfast available. I went to the front desk:

Good morning! Where would I find breakfast?
No. Not at this time.
It's 9 a.m. What do you mean 'not at this time?'
We used to have breakfast. Now we don't.

Ummm, okay...

The room itself was alright I guess. Kind of outdated but clean and fine. Still, I won't be back.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Sioux City, Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

This place was decent, me and my family were treated nice and the room was adequate. Right off I-91 near the Holyoke Mall is a good location. The price was cheap enough and I had no problems with the " other people" around the hotel. I think these other reviewers might be rascistor something.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Holyoke Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!