“SOLID 3 Star rating!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Holyoke Hotel & Conference Center

You added Holyoke Hotel & Conference Center to your Saves list
Holyoke Hotel & Conference Center
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   245 Whiting Farms Rd., Holyoke, MA 01040 (Formerly Holyoke Holiday Inn & Conference Center)   |
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Holyoke
NYC
“SOLID 3 Star rating!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2011

We booked the Holyoke Hotel & Conference Center on Hotels.com (their recommended pick), and paid $58.00 for one night. After I received the confirmation, I started to read the negative reviews and got a bit disappointed. I didn't know what to expect, so I was prepared to walk out of the place if it was weird.
So, I felt compelled to write this review, here are my observations :
When we arrived at the desk, I saw the patrons of the hotel bar- a small group of men in shirt & tie, some attractive well-dressed ladies, another group of very well dressed people that appeared to have been at an affair, a few 50-60-ish couples. Let me tell you I found this instantly comforting! The place is tremendous in size, with several conference rooms, large public spaces, a glass-enclosed business center, large gym, and large swimming pool. There was a coffee urn for guests in one of the lobbies that we didn't even notice until we were leaving. Our room (#123) was very clean with a generously sized flat-screen TV, coffee maker, ironing board with iron . The bed was very comfortable with clean crisp white bedding and down comforter. The towels , everything just smelled perfectly fresh and clean, and not like cleaning products. The carpeting seemed pretty new and we did not hesitate walking around in our bare feet. The only negative thing I can say is that some of the tile grout in the bathroom could use a little attention, and that wasn't even bad. I would give our room a B+ . I did not see or experience anything tattered or in disrepair, anything weird , tacky, musty or "icky". Would not hesitate booking this place again, and I would be very comfortable staying for a week if for work, a conference etc. Also would not hesitate booking a meeting or other business event there.
All the hotel guests we encountered were neatly dressed, smiling and said "hello" , and the rapport amongst the employees seemed fine. Both young ladies we encountered at the front desk were very pleasant and attentive. When we checked-out, the couple ahead of us
told the young lady at the desk warmly- "thanks! we'll be back!"
Everything seems quite nice and properly maintained. Although we did not use the pool, it looks very nice so I cannot comment on others' reviews.
The Holyoke is not a full-out luxury hotel, and it doesn't try to be more than it is, - it's similar to a Hampton-Inn or similar I guess; clean, comfortable, quiet, and I firmly believe it deserves 100% of it's 3 star rating.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Braintree, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2011

We arrived in the evening with our 2 small children. The check-in was smooth, but the room was wrong... twice. We had reserved a King Executive Suite. Our first room was a king... no suite. It was also a non-smoking room that smelled of smoke from the moment we walked in. After a couple of calls to the front desk, we were moved a few rooms down the hall. The smell of smoke was gone, but it was still not a "suite". After having dinner, I went to the front desk and inquired as to why our room was not the correct type... The room type we booked was "unavailable". We were not told this upon check-in. And I had to ASK to have our rate reduced. They were going to charge us the "suite" rate for a standard king room...Not upfront w/ the truth... Not helpful... Not planning to stay there again...

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Saint John, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2011

During a recent stay at the Holyoke Inn and Conference Center I forgot my laptop computer in my room. At my next stop I called the Hotel and they confirmed that the computer had been found and turned over to the desk staff. I asked that the computer be secured and I would pick it up in a couple days on my return trip, they said they would do this. When I returned to the Hotel the girl at the desk could not find the computer but verified that it had been there that morning, the manager of the hotel confirmed that the computer is missing. Police have been called but at this time nothing has been found. That being said I would avoid this Hotel as it appears that one of their employees is a THIEF, also, I would give the manager of this hotel a failing grade in his handling on this situation.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Barrington, Rhode Island
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2011

Complaint: When I Approached the General Manager Mr Hackie to discuss a problem with the hotel not having queen beds and they were advertising Queen beds, they only had double beds he was not very receptive towards my complaint. He did not believe me. I went back to my room to get my reservation paperwork it said 2 Queen Beds,so I could show Mr Hackie the GM. I went back to the front desk and asked for Mr Hackie and the desk clerk said he was busy and would call my room to discuss the matter. No phone call. The next day he was working and asked to see him. The desk clerk said he was busy I said to the clerk here is my cell phone number have him pleas call me. He never did. What kind of General Manager totally ignores a guest complaint, well Mr Hackie did. Not very happy with his behavior on how he just blew me off.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Holyoke, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2011

My title says it all because it is the one positive aspect of my brief time spent at the Holyoke Hotel. I recently attended a birthday party at this establishment and needless to say I will never return nor would I recommend anyone do the same. The birthday party was to be a standard pool party where the kids could swim for an hour or two and afterwards have cake and open presents. Unbeknownst to us was that this hotel has homeless people staying with them. While it's nice that they give the homeless a place to stay, they have certainly made themselves at home so to speak. Their children were swimming in the pool while we carrying our party. We expected other people at the hotel to be using the pool at the same time, however we did not anticipate being around people who were completely disrespectful and without any form of common courtesy. Their children were being very aggressive with several of the children at the party and I even witnessed one child urinate in the corner of the room. When the head of the party, justifiably upset, confronted one of the parents of the children, an argument ensued, which resulted in law enforcement to come to the scene. Management could not handle this issue effectively and pandered to the people who were disrupting the party that was paid for. The person who paid for the party was actually asked to leave and nothing was resolved. The agitators were asked to leave the pool area, but still stayed within a short distance of the party, making the rest of the day completely uncomfortable.

I can not recommend staying here to anyone. It is an area that is over saturated with hotels in the first place so you may as well stay at one where you won't be disrupted by guests who seem to have more control over the hotel than management.

• Stayed March 2011
connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2011

first and foremost since they mislead people you should know they house the homeless in this hotel...they . had the run of the pool and the area surrounding it. they were rude, fighting with each other and anyone it seemed. they were spitting in the pool the were very aggressive in the water so i feared for my 8 year old .. the game room was completely trashed nothing in it worked.. the customer service was non existent.. whe n i called the next day from home to complain to a manager he LIED and said we dont house the homeless... only people who are down on their luck.. but 2 employees had already told me they did house the homeless

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2010

Stayed for two weeks for Business at the Holiday Inn Holyoke, Massachusetts. I found the facility to be exceptional (Clean, Updated, Free Internet, Free Breakfast, outstanding customer service, and very friendly staff). Being my home away from home, I was very impressed how well I was treated during my stay. The Bar Staff- "Laura Payer"-concierge made my stay very pleasant and I felt like family. I spent the week on the executive wing. Wow! I've stayed at several Holiday Inn Resorts in New York and this one has been my best experience. Definitely worth the money and I would return to stay again. r/ Charles J. Byers LCDR USN -President Pleasant Valley Energy LLC

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business

Been to Holyoke Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!