“Also unpleasantly surprised” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 65 Restaurants in Hingham
Cuisines: Seafood
“Also unpleasantly surprised”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

Totally agree with reviewer who commented on lobster "roll". It is the one thing I absolutely can't wait to have and I was terribly disappointed. In addition to the lousy bun, the lobster meat was not sweet and chewy like I remembered. It had no taste at all. Terrible--I would be very unlikely to order it again

• Visited August 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

“eye-rolling, leg-twitching GOOD!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

Best seafood south of Boston! I go for the fried clams, but by end of summer I've had one of everything on the menu...lobster rolls are stuffed full, with very little mayo; shrimp and scallops have the same light and crunchy batter as the clams, haddock plate a steal at $8.99!

Parking ( and getting back out into traffic ) is tricky, as shack sits at curve along a busy road - but well worth the effort. Take-out only, but the beach and grassy picnic area are just around the curve...

GO!! EAT!! SMILE!! GO AGAIN!!!

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Marshfield, Massachusetts
“Never a bad experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

Totally love this place. Its completely charming and always delicious. Regardless of who I go with we always share some kind of fried combo plate and its a ton of food. No seating inside so go on a gorgeous day and take it on down to Bathing Beach with is maybe 1/4 a mile down the road. If you go Saturday for lunch hit up the Hingham Market at Bathing Beach 1st and then go grab lunch and come back to picnic. I would pass on the banana fritters, sounds tasty but why waste the calories when there's so much tasty fried seafood! Local favorite and I know everyone I take there loves it. Awesome, go!

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Boston, Massachusetts
“Funky shack with fantastic fish . . .”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

Have never been in this part of the state before today. We were on our way to the World's End park in Hingham but wanted to grab some local grub. Suddenly as we turned a bend on 3A, we saw a bunch of cars parked and all the signs of a local restaurant with lots of sea food. I bought the haddock sandwich with coleslaw and a small order of onion rings. You order at the window. Everything is take out. We got back in the car and drove a few hundred yards up the road to the Hingham public beach where we parked to enjoy our lunch. Definitely will go there again! The fried clams were crunchy and delicious.

• Visited April 2013
“unpleasantly surprised!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

I've stopped here many times over the years and enjoyed excellent seafood to go, however, I had an unpleasant surprise on my last visit. I met a friend in Hingham who was visiting from Maine and I suggested we take a picnic to the Hingham town beach and enjoy the fabulous day. We stopped at the Lobster Pound and I ordered two "lobster rolls" to go.
When we got to the beach we found our bags contained skimpy little lobster sandwiches on boring buns! I've eaten lobster rolls all over New England and though I've sometimes found an untoasted "roll", I have never been served a lobster "roll" on the same kind of bun I'd find on a McDonald's burger! This is an outrage! If the Hingham Lobster Pound is going to serve a lobster salad sandwich on a hamburger bun, they should not be calling it a "lobster roll" and charging $12 for it!
II was disappointed and embarrassed and likely will not return there.

Visited August 2012