“Not for me....” 2 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Thurmont, Maryland
“Not for me....”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2011

Staff was nice but hotel needs updating. Bathroom was not cleaned well, hair in the tub, dried on something in the tub, dirty corners and dirty fingerprints all over the hair dryer. Pool area looked nice but didn't have time to use it. Breakfast area was adequate and workers constantly restocked the food.

We did not feel comfortable here due to the location. Surrounding area is seedy. Was glad to see a security guard patrolling indoors and out at night but at the same time was uncomfortable to be in a place that needed this.

The hotel is home to many Section 8 families. I talked to a few at breakfast. In the morning there are people wandering around to each others rooms in their pajamas and at night they are all outside hanging out in the parking lot. It was a little uncomfortable to have to walk through a crowd of people to get to the door.

I didn't pay much for our room because I booked through Hotwire, which I was very glad for. If I paid the regular hotel rate I would have been pretty upset because it really wasn't worth that price.

There is only two hotels in this city and I have now tried them both. My family lives on the other end of town (in the nicer section) and I was really hoping to stay close to them. I just didn't feel safe at either hotels and will look to other areas for my next stay. I would rather have a drive than stay somewhere that makes me nervous, especially since my children are with me.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
BWMV, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Merrimack Valley, responded to this review, July 22, 2011
Dear travelclanof4,

We appreciate you taking the time to give us feedback on your recent stay with us. Our guests’ satisfaction and safety are our number one priorities. We have staff on call at all times to replace anything or assist you in any needs with your room in case something was missed. Did you speak with anyone at the front desk to request this? We feel our property is in a great location and have a security guard for guests’ safety and assistance regardless of any surrounding area. I have taken this feedback to our team as we always strive for continued ways to serve our guests better. I hope you will consider staying with us again and you may reach out to me personally upon your next stay to ensure everything is taken care of. We hope to see you again soon!

steve@bwmerrimackvalley.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Daytona Beach, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2011

Our room smelled really Really bad ! Went to front desk i mentioned smell, desk clerk gave me a room deodorizer spray.That did not work. We ended up Switching rooms. Our Next room was not Vacuumed and we found a wallet in chair, took that to front desk. So i take it Room was not completely Cleaned. Well it was late we stayed. ONLY because hotel was Pet Friendly!.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
BWMV, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Merrimack Valley, responded to this review, June 22, 2011
Dear Guest,

I am sorry to hear your room was unsatisfactory, but glad we had the capacity to get you into a new room. Customer service is our number one priority and we always strive to do everything we can to ensure your stay is as care-free as possible. We’re glad you chose us because we are pet-friendly. We hope you value that amenity and that we can continue to serve you in the future. If you feel anything from your stay was not appropriately resolved, please feel free to contact me at steve@bwmerrimackvalley.com and I will be happy to assist you. Thanks for your feedback and we look forward to seeing you again.

Salem, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2011

Me and my fiance stayed at this hotel for a couple days just to get away and relax. Our room was nice and clean when we arrived, I thought it was a nice cozy room for the two of us. The pool and the hot tub were also very well maintained and we enjoyed those to the fullest! We loved that we could go for a nice swim then sit in a relaxing hot tub after. The location of the hotel was great, everything we needed was right around us, 24 hour cvs for anything we might need, grocery store right across the street as well as a chinese restaurant that had very good food and a movie theatre with really comfortable seats right next to us as well as many more restaurants and stores down the street. When it came to the service, we were helped as soon as we walked in the door and the guy at the desk was very nice, I believe his name was Matt, he helped us with everything we needed to know, places in the area and how to get to them, what restaurant is good and which one isn't, what there is to do in the area. There was also a girl there the enxt day who was also very nice but I don't remember her name. All in all we had a great experience and will definitely be back again soon! :)

Room Tip: Rooms by the pool so you can get there quicky! :)
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
BWMV, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Merrimack Valley, responded to this review, June 16, 2011
Dear Guest,

We are so glad to hear you and your fiancé had such an enjoyable stay at our hotel! Your comments about the high level of customer service you received from our employees makes us happy to hear. We’re glad you enjoyed our hotel’s convenient location and amenities, like our swimming pool and hot tub. We will be sure to pass your kind words along to our staff. Thanks and we hope you will stay with us again soon!

Enfield, New Hampshire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2011

First room smelled really bad, opened the window, ants everywhere! Switched rooms. Smelly, opened window, only a few ants. Couldn't close the window, stuck open. 100% non-smoking and they say they cleaned the rooms for this. No way. Smoking smell all over. Drunks outside the door and throwing up right at the walkway. Room key only worked for the room. Couldn't get into the "D Block" door. (that's what we call it now.) The tub would not drain after a shower. The toilet moved when you sat on it. The day staff were uptight ,to say the least. Night staff was helpful with the window. Due to the above, I would not allow the kids in the pool so I cannot comment on the status of the pool. I stayed at this hotel last year and it was fine. We will never again stay at this hotel. I fully recommend you do not either.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
BWMV, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Merrimack Valley, responded to this review, May 28, 2011
Dear JuliefromNH,

I am sorry to hear this review. We take great pride in our hotel and take all complaints seriously. You mention you stayed with us last year and it was a good experience. We are confident that our hotel has only improved, and will continue to improve, since your last visit. Did you speak with our front desk regarding your concerns? We respond promptly to any concerns our guests bring to our attention. I would like to follow up with you and the service members you spoke with regarding the issues. Would you please email me further details of your interaction with our staff at gm@bwmerrimackvalley.com? This will ensure everything is dealt with fairly. I can assure you your next stay with us will very pleasant and comfortable.

Thanks,
Steve Kerrigan

Travelers are raving about these Haverhill hotels

San Jose, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2011

I had to travel to the Haverhill area for business for the 1st time. I chose this hotel because I have never stayed at a Best Western. I found the staff to be friendly and efficient and the room clean and comfortable. The free internet was great! I also thought the breakfast included was very good.

I would stay here again if I have to travel to this area again!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Salem, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2011

My husband and I brought the kids for an overnight stay during school vacation. What a GREAT experience!!!! The room was spacious and clean wtih two queen beds, refrigerator and microwave. The hotel offers a AAA discount which we used and free WiFi. The kids had a blast in the indoor heated pool while I kept an eye on them from the hot tub and Dad enjoyed the fitness room. Later we visited the movie theater located right next door. The Front Desk was very helpful in suggesting nearby entertainment and restaurants. We slept in the next morning then enjoyed the complimentary continental breakfast. The kids loved the waffles! Since check out wasn't until noon, we all had a chance to use the pool one more time. We found the entire staff to be warm, friendly and courteous. We all enjoyed our stay and are looking forward to a return visit soon.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
BWMV, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Merrimack Valley, responded to this review, May 16, 2011
Dear Sally46218,
We are so glad to hear you had an excellent stay! Our hotel’s amenities and area attractions are very family-friendly and we’re happy that you and your family were able to experience much that our hotel had to offer. Thanks for leaving this review on how you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope you will be back again soon!

Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2011

Stayed here in March with our sports team. We found out that much of the hotel is used to house homeless people. Many or these people were drunken men who would leer at our kids in the pool and try to talk to them. Then we found homeless people sleeping under a stairwell. The management didn't seem concerned at all! If you are traveling with children, avoid this place!

Room Tip: If you must stay, get a room near the main desk.
  • Stayed March 2011
BWMV, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Merrimack Valley, responded to this review, April 21, 2011
Dear Travelingmom061,

we appreciate your feedback. We apologize that your stay was not satisfactory. We take all the information we receive from our guests very serious, and are ensuring that the systems we have in place are appropriate and working properly. We want to be sure that all of our guests feel both safe and comfortable while staying at our hotel. We do have security on during the overnight and they make regular patrols of the building. We also respond to any issue raised by our guests, and I am concerned that you feel that the management of the hotel did not seem concerned. If you have any specific information about your stay, we are very interested to hear to make sure that our response was appropriate or if we need to make further changes to our procedures. Please feel free to email me at gm@bwmerrimackvalley.com and we will look into this matter for you. I can assure you that we will do everything we can to make your next experience with us a positive one.

BEST WESTERN PLUS Merrimack Valley

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Merrimack Valley? Share your experiences!