“Very Good Seafood Restaurant” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Amherst, Massachusetts
“Very Good Seafood Restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

Last week a friend and I tried Fish Tails for the first time and we were pleasantly surprised. The bar and the dining room are separate which gives it a leg up over Grill n Chill in Hatfield. The atmosphere is simple and comfortable with booths and tables. The service was prompt and helpful. Our waitress answered all our questions and made good recommendations when we asked for them. We ate some of the best cooked seafood I have had in this area. The clam chowder was thick, creamy and just a bit salty. The fried whole belly clams were sweet, clean, fried perfectly in a light batter, and not at all oily. The fries were made from local potatoes and nicely cooked. The fried haddock was also fresh and crispy. My salad was fresh, and the cole slaw was ordinary. We will definitely come back again.Compared to Webster's Fish Hook in Northampton, Fish Tails is a much better dining experience, the food tastes fresher and is prepared better. Webster's still makes the best cole slaw in the area, though.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

44% Recommend
Greenfield, Massachusetts
“poor place to eat”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

Went there this last Sunday for dinner specials. I got the triple lobster special. The first lobster I tried to start to eat the meat was squishy and not firm. I told the waitress and she took back my 3 lobsters and charged me $10.00 for the one that I opened saying that I ate some it. Then she explained to me that the cook can't open all the lobsters to see if they are good or not.
My dinner companion order the Prime Rib special. He ordered it medium. It was served to him nearly raw. The waitress told him it hasn't had enough to cook.
We arrived there after the doors were open.
The food was bad, the service was bad. I know we will not be going back. We will also be telling all of our friends about how poor this place is.

• Visited August 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Athol, Massachusetts
“bare bones service and food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

A couple of days ago we went to Fish Tails for their triple lobster special for $19.99. The special consists of 3 lobsters, butter and a utensil kit to take it apart. That's it. There are no side dishes (potatoes). They must be ordered separately. The service is terrible, even when the restaurant isn't crowded. We waited a long time for the waitress to take our order and then waited a long time for the food. The lobsters were delicious but it's pretty hard to mess up cooking lobster. I didn't see any other food being served except the lobster special. I honestly don't know if I would go back or not, since it is quite a distance from where I live. I guess it depends on how bad you want to stay out of the kitchen.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Greenfield, Massachusetts, United States
“Outstanding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

I kept hearing advertisements on our local radio station so I convinced my husband to take me. We were not disappointed. The food was outstanding, the portions were large, and the prices reasonable. We will definitely return!

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Springfield, Massachusetts, United States
“Slow service, when we got it, inedible food.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

The waitress was new, I don't know how much training she had but, she had to look at my dish on the menu before she knew what it was. She came back two more times to ask questions that should have been asked when I ordered. I ordered my steak with sauce on the side, it came out with sauce on the steak. The steak was advertised as 16 oz. It would have had to cook off a lot of fat to get down to the size that I finally got. My salad arrived after my entree, after I asked about it. Oh, I was told that she would "pick off" the things I didn't want on my salad. The steak could not be cut easily and could not be chewed, the vegetables were raw. I didn't want the meal and asked to see a manager. The bartender went to the table next to us for their problem, no food afer more than an hour. The waitress came by and asked if I wanted to take my meal home. Clearly, I didn't want the meal. Fianlly she got fast! In less than a minute I had the check, with the price of the un-eaten meal still on it! I finally had to go to the bar to have the bartender take care of the check. I didn't want a free appetizer, round of drinks, nothing, I'll pay for what we consumed, just please, take the terrible meal off the check and let me out of here! We won't be back.

• Visited March 2013