“Good food and service” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
upstate ny
“Good food and service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

On a Sunday night in winter there were plenty of cars in the lot but we we were given our choice of tables by our pleasant and personable server. We started with calamari which was nicely fried with banana peppers. It was not at all greasy and served with a standard marinara. Pizzas were very good and perfectly baked with a lovely charred ( in a good way) crust. It's good to see a pizza cooked properly for a change. I can recommend the margherita and the white with arugula although the arugula would have been better with a little dressing (as also stated In a prior review). The addition of pistachio nuts was interesting and worked. A Greek salad was better than most and enough for leftovers.

• Visited February 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Boston MA
“Good fare”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014

Hawaiian pizza a great hit. Loaded with ham and pineapple. Chicken caesar wrap plentiful. A cold winter's day - A cup of soup on the menu would have been welcome.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
South Dennis, Massachusetts, United States
“Great Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

We went to the Embers Friday night and had a very good meal. The pizzas were cooked perfectly. We had a special of the day pizza and a margherita. We also had appetizers that were not of the frozen variety that most restaurants serve today but freshly made and hot. If I had one complaint is the dining room tends to be very noisy and it can be hard to have a conversation with people across the table. (need sound suppression) The best part came last when the waitress noticed that we didn't exactly the right special pizza (missing ingredient) so she had them make a small one for us to go. That is good service.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Brewster, Massachusetts
“Great wings!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

Three of us dined at Ember courtesy of a Cape Cod Daily Deal. My boyfriend and his mother had dined here previously a couple of years ago and were eager to give it another shot. Our server was fantastic, although the pace of the meal left a bit to be desired. We started with a Caesar to split and large order of spicy & sweet wings. The dressing appeared to be homemade, and the wings were absolutely spectacular. I would go back just for the wings. Unfortunately we were a bit overwhelmed by food when our starters came out at the same time as the pizzas. The dining room is set up so that most people will have a view of the large pizza oven area, which meant that I saw that our pizzas were done and sitting out before the apps even arrived. The extremely thin crust pizzas can't possibly take more than 10 minutes to cook, so it would make a lot more sense to put the order in after the apps have been delivered to the table. Luckily they were still pretty warm, but not piping hot. We tried the blueberry, prosciutto and feta pizza, and did a "make your own" with pesto, goat cheese, chicken, artichoke hearts, and arugula. I love arugula on pizza and was delighted to see it as a topping option. However, my view of the pizza oven area gave me a glimpse of half a bag of arugula going straight from the bag onto our cooked pizza. I realize that most restaurants probably don't wash their greens when the bag already says triple washed, but it would have added a lot to the final product if the arugula was lightly dressed with olive oil and lemon juice... or something. We ended up having to pick all the limp arugula off the pizza the next day in order to enjoy the leftovers. This, along with the timing, is what took the meal from 4 stars to 3. Overall it was a pleasant experience and I would definitely be willing check out their Trivia Night on Thursdays in order to have some more of those amazing wings!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Wickford, Rhode Island
“Bait and switch”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014 via mobile

We have a place on the Cape and drive by Ember regularly on our way to Brax Landing but had never tried it. Cape Cod Daily Deal offered a deal so we decided to try it out. The Daily Deal is like Groupon where you can pull up the coupon on your phone. Our family of four ordered a salad, 1 app, 2 entrees and two desserts and drinks the bill came to around $80. When we got the check, I showed our waitress our voucher on my phone and she said, "I think you have to have a printout of that for us to accept it." I showed her the screen with their coupon and right underneath it it states, "No printer? No problem" with a picture of the QR code to be scanned. She went up to ask the manager (a 23ish year old man) and came back and said they wouldn't accept it without a printout because they don't have a QR code reader. I told her we don't have a printer because it's our second home and their offer states right on it that you don't need the printout. I went to the host stand to talk to the manager who reiterated that they won't accept it without the printout because "The owner told us we can't." No amount of my explaining that it's not the customer's problem that they aren't prepared to handle their own offers and that they could simply write down my code on a piece of paper and keep a list of them all so they know which have been used could convince him. With absolutely no apology whatsoever, "The owner won't accept it" was the customer service I received. I honestly don't think I have ever been so furious due to the absolute ineptitude of restaurant ownership/management in my life. Take your money to Brax Landing just down the street where you will have a wonderful, affordable meal and service with a smile. And a view of the harbor!

Visited December 2013