“Not your "old Cape Cod tavern"...foodies do NOT pass this place by!!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mooncussers Tavern

Mooncussers Tavern
86 Sisson Road, Harwich Port, Harwich, MA 02664
508-430-1230
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Mooncussers Tavern is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 22 Restaurants in Harwich Port
Cuisines: American, Spanish, Contemporary, Pub, Tapas
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Cape Cod, MA
“Not your "old Cape Cod tavern"...foodies do NOT pass this place by!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

We stumbled upon Mooncussers Tripadvisor while looking for a new, interesting place to dine last week. After reading many positive reviews we decided to make the drive and give it a try. It was worth the trip!

Menu is an eclectic mix of tapas, burgers and a slightly higher end range of entrees. The restaurant itself is an older house and the restaurant is made up of several different rooms. Each room is a little different, with wide plank flooring, wood tables/chairs, 2 bars (again, not a "bar scene" as previously mentioned) and a couple of smaller rooms that would be able to accommodate private dining for smaller parties of 8 or 10?

We started our evening with a few tapas - The Gambas which was comprised of 3 very large shrimp in a tomato/garlic/paprika sauce with some bread for sopping it up!! Delish! Truffle fries were very good, but I would have preferred more truffle but I love my truffles, so that might be just my taste. We shared the Ribeye which was cooked perfectly, and we enjoyed every last bite! The owner made visits to all the tables, and was knowledgeable and friendly. Our only complaint- and it's a small one- would be the wine pours are on the lighter side. We remedied that by buying the bottle and will only order wine that way from now on. Still a great experience and we will be back soon!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Grafton, Massachusetts
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A Wonderful Dining Experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our "date night" dinner here last night. We were both impressed with the menu and especially pleased with the pan seared scallops and tuna dishes we selected. It seemed a lot of locals mentioned the Cape Sea Grille as being the best around but it was obvious none of them had found Mooncussers Tavern. And after my brother ate at the Sea Grille and reported just a good experience there, I am convinced the Mooncussers should be rated higher. Our waitress, Alex, was very good and the service otherwise excellent. We later learned from the owner that this was their fourth year open. I truly hope for a long and prosperous run!

Visited July 2014
“Wow! This is one amazing restaurant!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014 via mobile

I've spent my summers in Harwich for the past nine years and driven past this restaurant for several of them. What a mistake that was! The tavern has a very cool atmosphere and has live music on many evenings. The food, a mixture of tapas, burgers and entrees is unique, beautifully presented and absolutely delicious! We got two tapas...a tiger shrimp dish with an amazing tomato based sauce and a steak and eggs plate served over rice with Bernaise sauce. The owner's son explained to us that he and a friend worked on creating the dish while he was playing hockey and had to eat a lot of protein. It was really good! For dinner, my husband and I split a seafood primavera made with fresh pasta, shrimp, scallops and little necks that included some perfectly cooked vegetables. Also a great choice. I can honestly say this was one of the best meals I've had in a long time. I'm just bummed I couldn't make room for the chocolate bread pudding for dessert! The only criticism I have is that we waited a long time for our food. Everything seems made to order and it was well worth the wait! Can't wait to go back!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Inverness, United Kingdom
“When are we going again, Honey?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

Soon....he said.....very soon! We let this restaurant sit for 3 years before actually dining here. I misjudged it by its name and assumed it was just a pub....this is NOT just a pub. It's a lovely establishment owned by a kind french/american couple who understand food, presentation, and good service.

My husband and I FINALLY made it here the other day and loved our meals. Seafood and veggies were the crux of my meal and that is always a score for me as I never like good food without the accompaniment of nicely done vegetables, (asparagus, fresh corn and red onion). Our server was exceptional and friendly, (although she was new). It goes without saying that whenever the owners or management visits each table to "check in" service is usually very good...and it was in this case too! The bar area is comfy and lovely also. I think we will plan on going back soon to sample the classy looking bar in the back as well! Don't miss this one!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Toronto, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Food and service both fantastic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

The meal was extraordinary and our Irish waiter was amazing. I would highly recommend this for a night out.

Visited July 2014