“Just Like "Family....."” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Bluefish Bed & Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Harwich
Bluefish Bed & Breakfast
GreenLeadersGold level
California
“Just Like "Family....."”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2007

My sister and I had a wonderful time recently at the Bluefish B&B! The proprietors made us feel very "at home," treating us just like "family" by taking a genuine interest in what we had planned to do, offering good suggestions and telling us so much about local lore that we left feeling very much a "part" of the Cape! Besides, the breakfast creations all tasted as delicious as the presentations. The whole Bluefish atmosphere was warm and welcoming with every need met and anticipated - we'll definitely go back as often as we can!

• Liked — The proprietors and character of the house.
  • Disliked — The narrow, steep stairs.
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

130 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2007

This was our first trip to Cape Cod and we were totally impressed with Bluefish. The innkeepers were very accommodating. The rooms were tastfully decorated and clean. Breakfast was amazing. Finally to top it all off, the price was very affordable. We would definately stay again.

• Liked — price and food
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
cape cod
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2007

I have stayed at the Bluefish BnB several times and enjoyed each time. The innkeepers are friendly and really go out of their way to accomodate the wishes of each guest. The food is innovative, delicious and plentiful. The inn is comfortable and warm with it's period furnishings and antiques. The bedrooms are cozy and the beds are sumptous. The keepers are fun to be around and their dog is a love. I will certainly stay with Tim and Lori again! I am glad they are around.

• Liked — food, cozy bedrooms, innkeepers
  • Disliked — narrow stairs
  • Stayed June 2007
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Brussels, Belgium
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2007

My boyfriend and I frequently travel throughout New England and stay exclusively at bed & breakfasts. Having read the good reviews on tripadvisor, I was excited to visit Bluefish, but, unfortunately, it did not meet my expectations. Most of all, I was surprised at the less-than-friendly attitude of the wife/innkeeper, named Lori. We will not be going back.

The negatives:
When I booked the stay (several months in advance), I called the innkeepers. I spoke with the wife, Lori. I specifically mentioned to Lori that I would like the suite that has the bathroom right next to it, because I get up several times each night (of the two suites, one
has the bathroom right next door, the other suite's bathroom is all the way on the other side of the house, down the hall and a short set of stairs). She said that, until recently, the sunset suite had the closer bathroom, but they just changed it and now the sunrise suite comes with the closer bathroom. On that basis, I booked the room. On the reservation, I noted my dietary restrictions (I do not eat meat or dairy).

A few days before our arrival, I got an e-mail from the innkeepers, asking to confirm our arrival. I did, and also mentioned the dietary restrictions once more, not to pester anyone, just to remind them. I've had situations where I mentioned it at the time of booking, but did not remind the innkeepers before arrival, and they sort of lost track of it. In response, Lori said "we got your dietary restrictions
loud and clear." I thought this was abrupt and not friendly.

When we arrived, there was no one to meet us. The innkeepers left our keys at the top of the back stairs. The instructions to us stated
that we got the suite with the far away bathroom. We were not sure what happened between the time of the reservation and the arrival, and left Lori a message, asking which of the bathrooms we were supposed to be using.

The next morning, when we came down for breakfast, Lori came up to our table and informed me, in an extremely curt and irritated tone, that she had no recollection of our conversation about the bathroom and said that she would have expected for me to note something like that in the reservation request. What exactly was I to note? I first
asked her which suite I should be booking (back when both suites and the third small room were available and I clearly could have had my pick, the price for the suites is the same), and then went on line and booked it. She never mentioned I should have noted the bathroom issue on the reservation. When the breakfast came, I asked for one piece of bread (the breakfast was this egg with potato-veggie thing).
Lori curtly informed me "there is no bread." Now, I understand that they may not have brought it with breakfast because they do not eat bread, or for whatever other reason. But, I think, if a guest politely asks for one slice of bread, that request could have been accommodated. (Or, if they truly did not have any bread available, she could have said so.)

Only decaffeinated tea was available. Given Lori's unfriendly attitude, I did not dare ask for caffeinated tea.

The "plush robes" are actually not plush at all. They are made of some sort of thin, mousy fabric. Trust me, you would not look forward
to putting one of these on.

There is no A/C.

For some reason, the innkeepers kept shutting off the refrigerator every time we would leave the room.

The sunrise suite was very tiny, and so was the bathroom. In fact, I have never seen a smaller bathroom.

The VHS library is just ridiculously bad.

The positives:
-- the husband/innkeeper was friendly and polite
--the towels were nice and thick
--dietary restrictions were accommodated
-- two small bottles of water were provided daily

We will definitely return to the Cape, but will be staying somewhere else.

• Liked — good water pressure in the shower
  • Disliked — everything else -- bathroom too far away from suite, unfriendly attitude, etc.
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
BluefishBnBCapeCod, Owner at Bluefish Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, June 5, 2007
In this business we were probably long overdue for an unhappy guest, we hate for it to happen but respect that not everyone will enjoy our B&B as all (see reviews below) have. There are two things that are important to complete the picture of this guests experience. I think it's important and fair to say that our B&B was most likely choosen because we were nice enough to ACCEPT a "pay for one night get one night free" coupon for Memorial day weekend. Second, we did not intently move her bath to upset her, there was a family with two very small children and we gave them a priority for the closest bathroom. On the second day the bathrooms were cleaned and changed. I can respect that the rest of her comments where her opinion.
Middletown, RI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2007

My husband planned our weekend getaway, so I was a little concerned when he told me that we would be staying in a B&B. I had never been a fan of B&B’s, but after staying at the Bluefish, I am a convert!

We stayed in the Captain’s Room, which had an adjoining bath, and both were spotlessly clean. The room couldn't have been more perfect – it was so cozy and the bed was perhaps the most comfortable I have ever slept on.

Upon our arrival, we were delightfully surprised to discover that our hosts had left delicious treats for us to celebrate our anniversary. We awoke the next morning to the sounds of birds singing in the garden, and went downstairs for the most delicious breakfast I’ve ever had. (Thick slices of banana bread French toast with caramel, roasted apples and whipped cream.)

Lori and Tim were excellent hosts, and went above and beyond to ensure that our weekend was perfect. They helped my husband execute what had to be the most romantic getaway ever. Tim prepared a special pastry for our breakfast, so that my husband could surprise me with a ring. Shortly after our breakfast, we were packed a picnic basket, and directed to a beach, where we sat on a blanket enjoying our gourmet lunch and the glorious weather.

Overall, our experience at the Bluefish was amazing. Tim and Lori were so accommodating and friendly, and although the B&B just opened for the season and we were the only guests, I have the feeling that each and every guest is treated just as warmly. It’s for this reason that we can’t wait to visit again, and will definitely recommend the Bluefish to our friends and family.

• Liked — Lori and Tim
  • Disliked — Showers were a bit small
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
New York CIty
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2007

We visited family in Harwich for Christmas and they put us up at the Bluefish. It is wonderful! Cozy and romantic for two. We had a two-room suite with private bathroom down the hall. He is a professional chef and the breakfast is worth the trip. She has decorated with period finds from house sales. It is tasteful, relaxing and not overdone. He is a photographer and his work lines the walls and can be purchased as a souvenir of a romantic off-season stay on Cape Cod. This will be our home-away-from-in-laws when we visit the next time. We stay at a lot of B&Bs and inns when we travel, and this was one of the most pleasant experiences we have had. Highly recommended!

Stayed December 2006
Tallahassee, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2006

This was the perfect B & B for my weekend getaway...I was physically and mentally removed from stress and worry, and transported into a haven of peace and comfort! The decor is eclectic/rustic but decidedly classy, too. A visual treat, but not fussy.

Our hosts offered: the best bed I've ever experienced, sumptuous gourmet breakfasts, warm and diverse conversation and a cozy, well-appointed haven. Their prices are the most reasonable I've seen, too.

I highly recommend Bluefish Bed and Breakfast, especially for singles and couples.

Stayed November 2006

Been to Bluefish Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!