“Spectacular Site and Grounds” 5 of 5 stars

Wequassett Resort and Golf Club
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   2173 Rte 28, Harwich, MA 02633   |
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Harwich
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Spectacular Site and Grounds”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012 via mobile

Rather thanrepeat all accolades, as an experienced New England traveller this IS as good as it gets. The service is warm and impeccable, and the new signature wings are wonderful, really lovely, quintessential Cape Cod. In the Fall, the lap pool and outdoor spas around the grounds are heated, with crackling fire pits, and lights glowing on the beautiful bay. I like this hotel generally far better than the Chatham Bars Inn, both of the same genre.

The caveat here is that all rooms are not created equal! Some are old Cape Cod. As a rule, if you choose a lower cost room, you should not expect it to live up to the newer more luxurious and expensive parts of the hotel. You want a luxury experience? You WILL get it here but if so, you cannot be. A penny counter. The bad reviews were all from people who anticipated luxury for a pittance.

Water view is just that, and pristine and charming it is! Waterside is close, but not quite there. Anything else may vary. No one could possibly say that these grounds are not the pinnacle of a premier New England garden. Even as late as mid Fall.

The hotel brought us a gratis basketnof wonderful goodies on checking in, so very thoughtful.

This is simply the best..dining wise too.

For the crib complainers, I just don't expect that arriving with an infant fits a place of this grace. It just is not for babies. Definitely older kids tho

Nothing to dislike here unless your expectations are off base, it's sublime, as is the cuisine. We absolutely love it!

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
JosetteWillis, Manager at Wequassett Resort and Golf Club, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent visit to the resort.

We were delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and appreciated our Signature Collection guest rooms. I have shared your compliments with our chef along with the landscaping team.

Please do not hesitate to contact me personally at 508-430-3024 when you would like to plan a future visit. We appreciate your thoughtful commentary and hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back very soon.

Director of Quality Assurance

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

First off let me say that we had a wonderful time at this resort. It is clearly a cut above the other locations on the cape. With that said, you pay handsomely for the privilege of staying in the best.

A few months back my husband and I chose to spend our anniversary in Boston and Cape Cod. We booked 4 nights in a Premiere Water View room. The room was enchanting. A bottle of red wine along with a cheese and fruit plate were placed in the room with a welcoming card. The room had 2 queen size beds, floor to ceiling, wall to wall sliding glass walkout to a stone patio, equipped with a small table, 2 chairs, 2 plush loungers, an umbrella and the pièce de résistance being our own private gas fireplace. Wall to wall California shutters covered the large windows when we wanted privacy. All this overlooking the serenity of Pleasant Bay. A perfect spot to celebrate a romantic holiday. However there were a few problems. The fireplace didn't work! We called the front desk and they sent a maintenance man over who said it may not be able to be fixed at all, but they wouldn't know till the next day. We were offered to change our room the next day. So I did not unpack and we lived out of our suitcases. As compensation for our inconvenience we were offered dinner at the resort's restaurant Twenty-Eight Atlantic, the only 4 star restaurant on The Cape. The food was superb and the service impeccable. We returned to the room and were ready to relax after a very long day of driving and we were greeted by the couple in the next room having a conversation. We could hear everything they were saying very clearly. At first we laughed, but after a short while it wasn't so funny anymore, especially when they sang a duet of happy birthday at 6:00 a.m. the following morning! The walls are paper thin and we heard everything and I mean EVERYTHING!

The next morning before we headed out to explore the area for the day we stopped at the front desk to inquire about the new room. The lady at the front said it was ready so we went to check it out. It was an inferior room, with the front facing a walkway then the water and the side was on the parking lot. We went back and informed the gentleman at the desk, Kevin, that we would not be accepting that room, that we wanted either a better or equal room to the one we have or to have someone fix the fireplace and we would be happy to stay in the room we were already in. Kevin called us in a couple of hours to inform us that the fireplace was fixed. If only that were true. It was sort of fixed. We had to call maintenance again and although the clogged gas vents were fixed, the pilot light was not, so he lit it manually using a lighter. So we figured we would manage like that as well. So we had to light our own fire every night, sort of like camping for the price of $665 per night (taxes in).

Now for the good stuff. The resort is beautifully maintained. The flowers are exquisite and the grounds luxurious. The staff is very friendly, from Ryan who drove us to our room in the golf cart, to the maintenance fellow, to the wait staff at Twenty-Eight Atlantic, all professional and courteous. The pool is salt water and heated even though we were there in October, the hot tub was great as was the fire pit by the pool. The outdoor bar was open and although I know the resort was busy, I didn't see that many people. There is an automatic 18% gratuity put on everything, so there is no need to tip extra unless of course you choose to.

The "golf" part of the resort is a little deceiving as there is no golf course at this resort, however you are permitted to play at the Cape Cod National Golf Club which is a private club that is open to the guests of Wequassett. Being a guest at the resort does not however allow for any discount for playing there. In October the cost of 18 holes was $170.

All in all, we had a lovely holiday and I would definitely return however now that we know the lay of the land at Wequassett I can honestly say that not all rooms are created equal! I would stay in the same room we had even though it was at the other end of the resort from the restaurants and pool area. It is private and there is no walkway in front. We would definitely return to this paradise on Cape Cod.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you again for your review. I appreciate you taking the time to speak with me to personally discuss your feedback.

I was delighted that you enjoyed the resort and its grounds, service and food, however, it was disappointing to learn of the challenges you experienced with your guest room.

I have taken the opportunity to review your concerns with our team. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly at 508-430-3024 should you return to the resort for a future visit. We look forward to welcoming you back and to a more memorable guest experience.

Best regards,

2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012 via mobile

We chose this resort because it appeared to be the best in the area. The restaurant and tavern are fantastic - good food and excellent service. the waterside setting of the resort is lovely and nearby Chatham is charming. There's a nice outdoor bar and swimming pool beside the bay, but the sunlounger cushions are left out in all weathers and consequently look grubby and unappealing. The Outer Grill has been closed for a private function for the duration of our stay. The housekeeper has been excellent, although on wiping a spillage from the floor, we became aware that it was filthy!

We're staying in a garden room on the ground floor. Be warned: if that's all that is on offer, do not come here but stay elsewhere. The air conditioning unit is horrendously noisy. In addition, as I write this, we can no longer hear each other's conversation or the tv because someone in the upstairs room is using their bath/shower. When these calamatous noises first occurred, we called for the engineer because we thought there was a plumbing problem and also that the AC unit was on its way out but, from his reaction, we gathered that what we were hearing was the Wequassett norm! We hear every footstep the other occupiers take and, joy of joys, last night we were awoken at 2.30am by someone in the room next door arriving back from a bar, vocalising loudly and then, even louder, vomiting until about 4am. Obviously, guests' behaviour isn't the responsibility of the resort but, because the walls are clearly wafer-thin, it felt like we were in the room with him. We twice requested a room move if it were possible, but nothing happened (which may be due the resort being busy over the holiday weekend). The poor accommodation has completely overshadowed the positives of this resort - it has felt more like an endurance test and has spoilt our first, and probably now only, visit to Cape Cod. I notice that other guests who've made similar complaints have been asked to contact management to discuss what renovations might be done. All the resort staff need to do is stay in their own accommodation - no discussion required!

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
JosetteWillis, Manager at Wequassett Resort and Golf Club, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Dear Lesley;

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at the resort. We were disappointed to learn of the challenges you had with your room accommodations and that they had such a negative impact on your stay.

We appreciate you sharing your concerns and will utilize your feedback in our upcoming renovation plans for 2013. Thank you again for your invaluable comments regarding our operation.

Sincerely;

Jamison, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

We chose the Wequassett Resort for our wedding on September 22nd, 2012. We spent 18 months working with Kalson Pang on the plans, the menus, the events and the food. He was attentive, professional and supportive. By the time our wedding weekend rolled around, we had events on Friday, Saturday and Sunday for our guests. All of our friends and family commented on the high level of service, the quality and selection of the food, and of course, the views of Pleasant Bay. Our experience with the Wequassett exceeded our expectations in every way. We would highly recommend the Wequassett for a weekend getaway, a romantic night out, or a wedding..the place is amazing!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
JosetteWillis, Manager at Wequassett Resort and Golf Club, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Dear Mauri,

Thank you for sharing your wedding experience. We were delighted to hear that your wedding weekend was magical and that your guests enjoyed the food, service and beautiful views of Pleasant Bay.

I have shared your thoughtful feedback with Kalson and the entire team. Thank you for choosing Wequassett for this very special event and we look forward to welcoming you back for a future visit.

Best regards,

Charny
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

The food couldn't be better than this! I had the Organic Lavender chicken, and it was to die for! Amazing service and... the view... There is nothing to say about it except that you need to see to understand... What can be better than to eat while overlooking Pleasant Bay! I was there with friends to attend the Jazz festival, we had a drink, we ate, incredible night at an incredible location! I really can't wait to stay overnight, thing that we're planning to do next year. Sure it's pricey but it was well worth it. I paid 78$ with the tip.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
JosetteWillis, Manager at Wequassett Resort and Golf Club, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit to the resort for the Cape Cod Jazz Festival. We are delighted that you enjoyed the entertainment, the food, outstanding service and the beautiful views of Pleasant Bay.

Please do not hesitate to contact me at 508-430-3024 if I can be of any assistance with reservation arrangements for a future overnight stay. We look forward to welcoming you back for a future visit.

Wilton, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

This resort hotel has a superb location overlooking the bay - I went for a mini-break with my 2 teenage sons - weather was perfect - but honestly the hotel charges a fortune and I cannot say that it's worth it. We stayed in a 'garden' room which basically was at the back of the property, overlooking a carpark and the delivery area. Not advisable to sleep with windows open then.. We moved to a water view room which was really more like a suite and quaint in decor but at least a couple of hundred $$ more. We dressed for dinner but was told that we could not eat in the fine dining room as my younger son was wearing shorts - admittedly smart shorts with a nice polo shirt - but long trousers are required. So we ate in the 'pub' like restaurant and watched a teenage boy walk into the fine dining room wearing jeans and a hooded sweatshirt. Now, I think that is an odd dress code for summer , waterfront hotels. I did point this out to the front of house manager on check out. Also DO NOT request a packed lunch to take to the beach. We loved the beach - went in the hotel's own speedboat - that's the reason we had driven 4 hours to reach Cape Cod after all. However, I was charged $80 for 3 packed lunches comprising of sandwich/ crisps/drink/apple. On check out I pointed out this hefty charge and was given a $25 discount. The dining service was OK - the restaurant overlooking the bay was nothing special. Shame, because it's a lovely location. At breakfast I asked for bacon & sausage with my order but was told quite categorically that it was one or the other. Now, I don't eat vast quantities, I literally just wanted a couple of rashers of bacon and a breakfast sausage or 2, so was quite surprised to be told that I couldn't. Honestly, paying the many hundreds of dollars for a room (I hate how breakfast is rarely included in the US) - I think they could have complied with my simple request. THe hotel employs a huge staff - maybe some could do with relaxing a bit! The gardens are beautiful.

Room Tip: Pay top dollar for water views
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear Alison,

Thank you again for your review, along with taking the time to speak with me by telephone several days ago. Your candid feedback is greatly appreciated and while I was delighted to learn that for the most part, you and your sons had an enjoyable visit, it was disappointing to hear of the few points that marred an otherwise fun Cape Cod get-away.

Rest assured, your observations have been thoroughly addressed together with our leadership team. We look forward to personally meeting you and your family next summer when you return to the Cape and ensuring a much more memorable experience.

Michael Sharlet
Director of Operations
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

Lunch doesn't get any better than this! Oysters on the 1/2 shell, impeccable service and gorgeous views! If you are in the Chatham area you must stop here and have something to eat. We took a look around the property and I can't wait to stay overnight here. The oysters were scrumptious and my salad was huge. My friend had the crab stuffed haddock and she said it was incredible. Great daycation on the cape and for me this was the highlight. Bring your wallet $82.00 for lunch with tip and no alcohol. You get what you pay for it was delicious!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for sharing your recent dining experience. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed the food, service and the beautiful view.

Please do not hesitate to contact me at 508-430-3024 if I can be of any assistance with reservation arrangements for a future overnight stay. Best wishes for a pleasant fall season.

Sincerely;

Director of Quality Assurance
Also consider these accommodations in or near Harwich
The Mansion at Ocean Edge Resort & Golf Club
Red Jacket Beach Resort & Spa
Red Jacket Beach Resort & Spa
#7 of 20 in South Yarmouth
4.0 of 5 stars 440 reviews

Been to Wequassett Resort and Golf Club? Share your experiences!