“Good service completely overshadowed by very poor accommodation” 2 of 5 stars

You added Wequassett Resort and Golf Club to your Saves list
Wequassett Resort and Golf Club
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   2173 Rte 28, Harwich, MA 02633   |
Ranked #1 of 4 hotels in Harwich
“Good service completely overshadowed by very poor accommodation”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012 via mobile

We chose this resort because it appeared to be the best in the area. The restaurant and tavern are fantastic - good food and excellent service. the waterside setting of the resort is lovely and nearby Chatham is charming. There's a nice outdoor bar and swimming pool beside the bay, but the sunlounger cushions are left out in all weathers and consequently look grubby and unappealing. The Outer Grill has been closed for a private function for the duration of our stay. The housekeeper has been excellent, although on wiping a spillage from the floor, we became aware that it was filthy!

We're staying in a garden room on the ground floor. Be warned: if that's all that is on offer, do not come here but stay elsewhere. The air conditioning unit is horrendously noisy. In addition, as I write this, we can no longer hear each other's conversation or the tv because someone in the upstairs room is using their bath/shower. When these calamatous noises first occurred, we called for the engineer because we thought there was a plumbing problem and also that the AC unit was on its way out but, from his reaction, we gathered that what we were hearing was the Wequassett norm! We hear every footstep the other occupiers take and, joy of joys, last night we were awoken at 2.30am by someone in the room next door arriving back from a bar, vocalising loudly and then, even louder, vomiting until about 4am. Obviously, guests' behaviour isn't the responsibility of the resort but, because the walls are clearly wafer-thin, it felt like we were in the room with him. We twice requested a room move if it were possible, but nothing happened (which may be due the resort being busy over the holiday weekend). The poor accommodation has completely overshadowed the positives of this resort - it has felt more like an endurance test and has spoilt our first, and probably now only, visit to Cape Cod. I notice that other guests who've made similar complaints have been asked to contact management to discuss what renovations might be done. All the resort staff need to do is stay in their own accommodation - no discussion required!

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
JosetteWillis, Manager at Wequassett Resort and Golf Club, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Dear Lesley;

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at the resort. We were disappointed to learn of the challenges you had with your room accommodations and that they had such a negative impact on your stay.

We appreciate you sharing your concerns and will utilize your feedback in our upcoming renovation plans for 2013. Thank you again for your invaluable comments regarding our operation.

Sincerely;

413 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Jamison, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

We chose the Wequassett Resort for our wedding on September 22nd, 2012. We spent 18 months working with Kalson Pang on the plans, the menus, the events and the food. He was attentive, professional and supportive. By the time our wedding weekend rolled around, we had events on Friday, Saturday and Sunday for our guests. All of our friends and family commented on the high level of service, the quality and selection of the food, and of course, the views of Pleasant Bay. Our experience with the Wequassett exceeded our expectations in every way. We would highly recommend the Wequassett for a weekend getaway, a romantic night out, or a wedding..the place is amazing!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
JosetteWillis, Manager at Wequassett Resort and Golf Club, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Dear Mauri,

Thank you for sharing your wedding experience. We were delighted to hear that your wedding weekend was magical and that your guests enjoyed the food, service and beautiful views of Pleasant Bay.

I have shared your thoughtful feedback with Kalson and the entire team. Thank you for choosing Wequassett for this very special event and we look forward to welcoming you back for a future visit.

Best regards,

Charny
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

The food couldn't be better than this! I had the Organic Lavender chicken, and it was to die for! Amazing service and... the view... There is nothing to say about it except that you need to see to understand... What can be better than to eat while overlooking Pleasant Bay! I was there with friends to attend the Jazz festival, we had a drink, we ate, incredible night at an incredible location! I really can't wait to stay overnight, thing that we're planning to do next year. Sure it's pricey but it was well worth it. I paid 78$ with the tip.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
JosetteWillis, Manager at Wequassett Resort and Golf Club, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit to the resort for the Cape Cod Jazz Festival. We are delighted that you enjoyed the entertainment, the food, outstanding service and the beautiful views of Pleasant Bay.

Please do not hesitate to contact me at 508-430-3024 if I can be of any assistance with reservation arrangements for a future overnight stay. We look forward to welcoming you back for a future visit.

Wilton, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

This resort hotel has a superb location overlooking the bay - I went for a mini-break with my 2 teenage sons - weather was perfect - but honestly the hotel charges a fortune and I cannot say that it's worth it. We stayed in a 'garden' room which basically was at the back of the property, overlooking a carpark and the delivery area. Not advisable to sleep with windows open then.. We moved to a water view room which was really more like a suite and quaint in decor but at least a couple of hundred $$ more. We dressed for dinner but was told that we could not eat in the fine dining room as my younger son was wearing shorts - admittedly smart shorts with a nice polo shirt - but long trousers are required. So we ate in the 'pub' like restaurant and watched a teenage boy walk into the fine dining room wearing jeans and a hooded sweatshirt. Now, I think that is an odd dress code for summer , waterfront hotels. I did point this out to the front of house manager on check out. Also DO NOT request a packed lunch to take to the beach. We loved the beach - went in the hotel's own speedboat - that's the reason we had driven 4 hours to reach Cape Cod after all. However, I was charged $80 for 3 packed lunches comprising of sandwich/ crisps/drink/apple. On check out I pointed out this hefty charge and was given a $25 discount. The dining service was OK - the restaurant overlooking the bay was nothing special. Shame, because it's a lovely location. At breakfast I asked for bacon & sausage with my order but was told quite categorically that it was one or the other. Now, I don't eat vast quantities, I literally just wanted a couple of rashers of bacon and a breakfast sausage or 2, so was quite surprised to be told that I couldn't. Honestly, paying the many hundreds of dollars for a room (I hate how breakfast is rarely included in the US) - I think they could have complied with my simple request. THe hotel employs a huge staff - maybe some could do with relaxing a bit! The gardens are beautiful.

Room Tip: Pay top dollar for water views
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear Alison,

Thank you again for your review, along with taking the time to speak with me by telephone several days ago. Your candid feedback is greatly appreciated and while I was delighted to learn that for the most part, you and your sons had an enjoyable visit, it was disappointing to hear of the few points that marred an otherwise fun Cape Cod get-away.

Rest assured, your observations have been thoroughly addressed together with our leadership team. We look forward to personally meeting you and your family next summer when you return to the Cape and ensuring a much more memorable experience.

Michael Sharlet
Director of Operations
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

Lunch doesn't get any better than this! Oysters on the 1/2 shell, impeccable service and gorgeous views! If you are in the Chatham area you must stop here and have something to eat. We took a look around the property and I can't wait to stay overnight here. The oysters were scrumptious and my salad was huge. My friend had the crab stuffed haddock and she said it was incredible. Great daycation on the cape and for me this was the highlight. Bring your wallet $82.00 for lunch with tip and no alcohol. You get what you pay for it was delicious!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for sharing your recent dining experience. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed the food, service and the beautiful view.

Please do not hesitate to contact me at 508-430-3024 if I can be of any assistance with reservation arrangements for a future overnight stay. Best wishes for a pleasant fall season.

Sincerely;

Charleston, SC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

As a local resident, I have frequented Wequassett Inn for many occasions, including: Weekend stays, Dinners, Breakfasts, Weddings, Jazz Night.... This is the "go to" place on Cape Cod if you're looking to impress or be impressed. Not only beautiful grounds and beautiful scenery, but exceptional service, and incredible ambiance. During the Summer months they offer Jazz night, a free concerts with incredible, well known tallents. This has grown to be a favorte night out for local residents as well as guests of the Inn. If you're in the area, stop in at the "Outer Bar" for a cocktail at the fire pit.... you won't be disappointed!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Jennifer,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on the resort and for your continued patronage. We are delighted that you consider us to be the premier resort on the Cape and that you have enjoyed our beautiful location and outstanding service.

We are glad to hear you that you are a fan of the Cape Cod Jazz Festival. We are pleased to be able to offer such a special entertainment experience to Cape Cod residents and visitors and are very excited to launch the 10th Annual Cape Cod Jazz Festival in 2013.

Please do not hesitate to contact me at 508-430-3024 if I may be of any assistance to you during a future visit. Best wishes for a pleasant fall season.

Marshfield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

If you ever find yourself in Chatham (actually it's in Harwich) you must try the Outer Bar at the Wequassett Resort! The view is fantastic. The food (especially the lobster roll) is amazing. The service is outstanding. All in all - it makes for a perfect afternoon as you look out over Pleasant Bay. It's nothing short of perfection.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Jay;

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Outer Bar and Grille. I am delighted you enjoyed the food, service and the beautiful view.

Please do not hesitate to contact me at 508-430-3024 the next time you return to the resort. Best wishes for a pleasant fall season.

Director of Quality Assurance

Been to Wequassett Resort and Golf Club? Share your experiences!