“Plan B” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Comfort Inn

You added Comfort Inn to your Saves list
Comfort Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   237 Russell Street, Hadley, MA 01035 (Formerly Quality Inn)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Hadley
USA
“Plan B”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

I had to stay here after the motel I typically stay at in Amherst was completely booked due to Parents' Weekend at a local university. While I am generally a fan of Comfort Inns and find this chain to be reliable but still affordable, I would not choose to come back to this location. Unfortunately, reasonable accommodations in the area are scarce, so one has a pretty limited set of choices for lodgings.

The rooms are clean and furnishings and linens are in excellent condition. Front desk staff is friendly and helpful. The breakfast offerings were not gourmet, but I was happy with my eggs, sausage and coffee to sustain me through a morning meeting. I did not try the pool, but it certainly looked enticing!

Unfortunately, the building's structure seems rather flimsy. My room was on the ground floor and I could hear every footstep above me. My upstairs neighbor may have been one of those "heavy walkers" as each footstep seemed to shake the walls. I live in an apartment building, so I know that good construction and insulation can neutralize vibrations between floors.

Also, this motel accepts pets, which I guess is good if you are traveling with pet, but not so enjoyable for fellow motel occupants who have to listen to a barking dog at 10 pm. I felt like I was in an episode of the Beverly Hillbillies. The noise factor really detracted from my stay, and for $125/night with my discount, just isn't worth it.

One positive aspect is that it is just down the street from an excellent Vietnamese restaurant. There are a few decent restaurants in the area, but Russell Street is not pedestrian friendly and I felt like I was taking my life into my hands to simply cross the road.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the second floor.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Oleg T, Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Dear Traveller2010NYC,

Thank you for choosing the Comfort Inn for your October visit to the Hadley/Amherst area. We appreciate you taking the time to provide us with feedback regarding your stay. First off I am very happy to hear that you were satisfied with our staff, room cleanliness, breakfast, and swimming pool. We work very hard to make our guests experiences as enjoyable as possible and to make sure their stay is memorable for the positive reasons only. That is why it is very dissapointing to hear that even though your were satisfied with most of our hotel's services, one thing that still stands out from your stay is the noise you had to deal with. I am truly sorry to hear that. As you have mentioned, we are indeed a pet friendly hotel, however as you have probably noticed there are two buildings in our hotel. One of those buildings is pet friendly only, the other one is not. Per request we do always try to satisfy every single demands to the best of our ability and if you decide to give us another chance in the future we would be happy to make sure your room is located on the second floor in the non-pet friendly building.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

Very satisfied. We are traveling with two young kids. We needed 3 nights near Amherst. Also, didn't want to pay a fortune (and kids wanted a pool).

I was reading reviews, and became a bit concerned. But, had no reason. We checked in and Irene was so pleasant. She was patient and made certain we were happy with our room. If I understood correctly, one building (where we stayed) was completely non-smoking. The pool was in the other building, but the walkway was covered and we had no problem with this.

Room seemed very clean (and I have high standards). In-room refrigerator and microwave were also nice. Our room was also very spacious (not sure if they all are).

All staff was pleasant. Good service, clean amenities and didn't break the bank.

• Stayed October 2013
Oleg T, Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Dear redandblonde,

Thank you for choosing the Comfort Inn for your October visit to the Hadley-Amherst area. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to provide us with feedback regarding your stay. I am glad to hear you gave us a chance and most importantly that you enjoyed your stay, and that our front desk staff, specifically Irene was so welcoming to you! She certainly is an asset to our hotel. We hope to have the opportunity to assist you with a future reservation, should you find yourself in the area again.
Kingston, Massachusetts, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

I just got off the phone with the general manager. It is Monday, September 30 at 3:23. I called to verify the cost of the hotel room is correct, I swear I have been over charged. I was having a conversation with the general manager, telling him I have been happy there the past 2 years that I have stayed there, but this past visit was terrible. Two friends that I recommended to this hotel will not be returning, I began to tell him that my tub was backing up while I was in the shower, and as I tried to call the front desk, I realized the phone did not work. Not only was this "general manager" rude enough to not let me finish a sentence, as I told him they needed to make some upgraded for customers to return, he said "I don't need to do anything" Lovely. No wonder the hotel is lacking

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Oleg T, Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
Dear Julie B.,

Thank you for taking your time to critique our hotel. I respectfully disagree with the details of our conversation.
Certainly we wish all of our guests feel welcomed during their stay and from talking to you, you have mentioned that on many prior occasions you have stayed with us without any issues. Also the fact of you coming back repeatedly to our hotel speaks of our service to our guests. I am certainly sorry that it did not go as well this time around, and we will work diligently towards making sure that such experience does not happen again for any of our guests.
Houston,Tx
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

This Comfort Inn was a little dated but clean and had really comfortable beds. Service was just OK at the desk. Breakfast area was good. I would go back to stay here. Right down the road from a great place to eat.... Zoe's Fish House.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Oleg T, Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
Thank you for choosing Comfort Inn for your stay in the area! I am glad to hear your kind words regarding cleanliness and the Comfort of our beds. Our entire team works hard to make sure our guests have as good a stay as possible.
I’ll be happy to let you know that we are currently in the process of placing brand new bedding in all of our rooms. That will be an addition to already some new updates we have done to the hotel in the past 12 months. Such as new suites, new business center, new exercise area, and new flat screen TVs. We also do not plan on stopping there. We will definitely make more upgrades to our property in the next 12 months as well. Should you be in our area again, we look forward to accommodating you and hopefully show off some of our new changes.

P.S. You are right, Zoe’s is a great local restaurant.
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Okay so this is not the place to go for a vacation but for a night it will do. Downsides was the room smelt of smoke despite being non-smoking. The gym was dirty and poorly equipped but they had a treadmill. The pool was more like a large jacuzzi but fine for kids. The room was very small and the bathroom even smaller. The decor is depressing. On the upside: the sheets and towels were clean. Breakfast is served with some reasonably healthy choices. Parking is convenient and can be close to the rooms. If price is your number one consideration; shop around before staying here.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Oleg T, Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
I'm very sorry for the incovenience you experienced during your stay. I will address your concerns with my staff immediately. I hope you would have let us know right away that your room smelled "smoky" so we could have provided you with another room. We do advertise our swimming pool as heated and we do keep it at comfortable 80 degrees. We make sure to daily clean both the pool area and exercise area. I would be happy to know a bit more detail in which part of our exercise area you found dirty so we could address it. Our weights, bench, treadmills, and eliptical are brand new as we have updated it in the spring. Again I am certainly sorry your stay did not go as expected as our number one priority here is to have our guests leave satisfied. If you do decide to give us another chance in the future please do not hesitate to call me personally, so we can figure out a way to accomodate you better. Also if any issues come up during you stay do not hesitate to call down to the front desk and inform them so we can address your concerns right away.
Cape Cod
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We have stayed at the Comfort Inn in Hadley twice, as my kids go to UMASS. It is the best deal around by far! We have tried other more expensive hotels and B&Bs, but we have not have been as happy as with this Comfort Inn. The hotel is very clean, well run, professional personnel, (from the front desk to housekeeping) and the breakfast is in a nice area and is fine. There is a good pool, sitting area outside the pool and another in the area that breakfast is served.

I have paid almost twice as much in other hotels in the area, and they have not satisfied us as much as this one. Great bang for the buck. If you are looking for a fair price for a solid hotel, this is the one. We are choosing this hotel every time we go to Amherst now.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Oleg T, Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Thank you for your kind words regarding the service you received from our staff. We pride ourselves on superior customer service and I am glad to see that our Team Members went above and beyond to make your stay comfortable and most importantly have you leave happy and satisfied. We look forward to your future stays and good luck to your kids in their upcoming school year at UMass!
Brockton, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

We had our pet so the particular wing was understood, wife recovers from lung cancer, tenant in the room above us was multiple smokers to the point that wife could not use bathroom, so much foul smoke odor filtered into our bathroom, place was 15% full, nite mgr would not move us, Mgr. OlegT said he would consider/talk to corporate about getting us a free night voucher, which is the right thing to do, we never heard back from anyone, wrong way to service a customer. We stayed in first 10 days of April. Mike Hanley & Jane Hanley, Brockton MA Looking for some corrective action.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Oleg T, General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, August 25, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback. I am very sorry to hear that your experience was less than favorable. I did review my notes from this specific reservation. It seems that due to a third party prepaid booking we were unable at the time to adjust your rate accordingly, as was explained to you during your stay. It also does mention that we attempted reaching you. As a company that prides ourselves on our great customer service, I am concerned about your experience and I would welcome an opportunity to speak with you with regards to it. If you would like to contact me I can be reached at 413-584-9816. We certainly hope you allow us to assist you with a future reservation, perhaps a room in a different location of our hotel, should you ever be in our area again.

Been to Comfort Inn? Share your experiences!