“Holiday Inn was Great” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Hadley
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Holiday Inn was Great”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2006

My mother and I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express this past July due to my brother's death, had to travel up to that area. I lived in Amherst for 32 years, so am very familiar with the area. My Uncle who traveled from VA for the funeral also stayed at the same hotel and I cannot think of ONE thing at all that was not just exceptional.

The front desk staff were friendly and very, very accomodating. They offered to go into town (on their lunch hour) to get extra copies of the Daily Hampshire Gazette that my brother's obituary was in -- they picked up 10 copies and didn't even charge for them!

The front desk staff also informed me during my many, many comings and goings that they would be adjusting my bill AND my Uncle's bill and would be giving us a bereavement rate. I never thought to ask for that at booking and never knew one even existed.

All staff went above and beyond and were very compassionate during a very, very difficult time. I would definitely stay at this hotel again. A+++++++++++++++++

• Liked — The front desk staff
  • Disliked — Sometimes the breakfast choices were limited
  • Tips/Secrets — This hotel does NOT have a highway in front of it as one travel said. It is a busy road, but not a highway!!! It is rural Route 9!!!
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2006

We arrived at about 1pm and inquired if, by any chance, our room was ready. I was told that the previous night guests had not checked out at that time! I asked when I could expect to check in (stating of course, that I knew I was early and since I was in the area I thought I would stop by.) I was told 3pm. We returned at 3:40pm. I was told that the room was not ready and that the room would be ready in a half an hour and did I want to wait. What other option did I have?? I was told we could have coffee in the breakfast room and wait a half hour. We were given our keys, so after a half hour we went up to the room. The housekeeping staff was still in the room. I asked the front desk to please let us know when the room was available. We finally got in the room around 4:30. I was never offered the option of another room or any other accomodation.

We reserved the large suite which was $170 for one night. The layout was odd, but OK. There was no sink in the bathroom, that was around the corner (not just right outside) and across from the closet area. Overall, because of the strange layout, I would not suggest this particular suite unless having a "living area" were very important. The bathroom was accessible only by entering the bedroom. And oh, the alarm clock was in the living area. It was hard to darken the bedroom due to there only being a shade on the window in the closet/vanity area.

The hotel did have signage to indicate that they are updating their bedding. We did seem to have the updated bedding in our suite, but the duvet cover had alot of pilling. The breakfast area was clean and well stocked, but they started cleaning up well before the end time of 10am. The pool area seemed fine. The laundry room for guests were popular. Internet computer in the lobby.

Shopping at Walmart, Wholefoods, Pier1, BarnesandNoble all directly across the highway.

I agree with the other reviewer who mentioned the town of Northampton for plenty of dining options. And the public parking deck features first hour free.

• Disliked — Horrible check in and front desk experience.
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2006

We stayed for one night over the 4th of July weekend. Room and bath were both good size and very clean. Indoor pool and hot tub were very clean with good temperature. There was also an outdoor patio area with lounge chairs. It was adjacent to the pool and could be accessed through glass doors from the pool area. Staff was friendly and helpful. Breakfast buffet was on par with Residence Inn - good cinnamon rolls. Hotel provided a 5 day login to Bluestreak internet service, with a terminal in the lobby area for guests to use. Location is right across from shopping, with Target, Walmart and fast food right across the street. We primarily went to Northampton for meals, about 5 miles away via Rt 9. Northampton was a 'find', with many restaraunts, eclectic shops and interesting architecture.

• Stayed July 2006
Boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2006

This location lived up to the the reviews posted. Noise from the highway nearby but then we did have the windows open. Staff were very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed May 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2006

Really a nice hotel. Loved the shower - tons of pressure. Clean room, nice staff. Breakfast was good (although the heavily advertised cinnamon rolls were gone by 8AM). The pillows were so hard, I guess that is a personal preference, but usually I can deal with almost anything. These were incredibly uncomfortable. All in all, a very good hotel for the price.

Stayed April 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2006

I travel extensively for business and have earned elite status Marriott, Hilton and Starwood hotels. That's my benchmark. This was a surpisingly good hotel for its class. Purpose of trip was to visit UMASS and we stayed just one night. Check in was easy and I am very particular about having a QUIET room. I made this request and they accomadated. Note that one side of the hotel has a highway relatively close and the other has clearly less noise. The noise within the hotel was acceptable. Walls were thinner than 3 and 4 star hotels and I could hear footsteps above but within reasonable range. The room are larger than you might expect, especially the king beds. Be prepared for a VERY firm mattress. The bathrooms were spotless. If there is a negative it would be the free breakfast. Choice was minimal and quality was not good. There are lot's of choices for meals all within a short distance of the hotel. However, if you just want a cup of coffee, danish or ceral, it's fine. Except for one person at the front desk, service was way above average (there's always one in the crowd).Finally, when traveling by car I take my pillow with me for comfort. I left it at the hotel and called the next day. They were very friendly and immediately located it and sent it back via UPS. Nice touch. Should we go back, I'd stay here again.

• Stayed February 2006
Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2005

Stayed for 2 nights with husband and 1 yr old and had an excellent experience. King room was very large with desk and comfy reading chair with ottoman. Plenty of room for the portable crib we brought and for 1 yr old to play. Room and all public areas were very clean and well maintained. Above average continental breakfast served in large common room (hard boiled eggs, bagels, toast, cinnamon rolls, waffles, cereal, muffins, fruit). Coffee, tea, and hot cocoa available 24 hours. Plenty of clean high chairs and boosters for baby. Have a pool and exercise room, but we did not have time to use. Location is good - right on Route 9 just off the 116 exit to Umass and across the street from the mall and movie theater. Everything you could need is a 5 minute drive. Did not have VCRs which could pose a problem for older kids who want to watch movies. Staff was very friendly and helpful - esp. the folks at breakfast - they kept the room clean and the food and drinks replenished despite the many guests. We love this area and when we return we would definitely stay again. Paid about $135 per night with AAA discount - not quite a bargain, but a nice stay.

• Stayed November 2005

Been to Holiday Inn Express Amherst-Hadley? Share your experiences!