“Great beef, great atmosphere” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 16 Restaurants in Groton
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Entertaining clients, Romantic, Local cuisine, Doing business
Dining options: Breakfast, Dessert, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
nh
“Great beef, great atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2009

I save this place for special occasions and have not been dissapointed yet. I went there knowing it was considered "pricey" for this region, but walked away feeling I had a quality meal with good service . My sirloin was done to my request and with the sides it was a perfect meal. I don't remember the name of the chocolate dessert I had but it was a trio of pure delight!! If you want a special meal for a special occasion go here. Stop all the whining and open up your wallet!!

• 4 of 5 stars Food

Mass
“Great except for the steak!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2009

I really wanted to like this place. My wife had selected it for our 27th anniversary per word of mouth praise. The barn setting was charmingly pastoral and while the service was not always fully attentive, it was competent and always with friendly smiles.

For drinks, the Mojito’s were great, the warm sourdough bread delicious, and my side garden salad fresh tasting.

My lovely bride’s entree was Shepard’s Pie. It was excellent and uniquely made with tasty spiced lamb.

For my entrée, I ordered (medium rare) the bone-in (large bone) ribeye, the most expensive item ($35) on the menu. From Capital Grill, to Bobby Vans, Smith and Wollensky’s, Morton’s, etc, the Bone-in ribeye is my favorite steak.

What I was served was a gigantic dinosaur bone with a small piece of meat that was over cooked well-done and beyond recognition – it was black, brown, and looked like the worst steak ever. It also had a repugnant smell to it. We sent it back (I have never sent a steak back).

We tried to ignore the inconvenience (although my wife’s lamb was getting cold as she delayed her eating until my entrée re-arrived).

When my steak reappeared, it was the same funky looking and smelling steak but now it was rare to the point of raw. I could not cut it and between that and the primitive display and temperature, it was a disaster.

No reason to order desert - I could not wait to get of this barn. Too bad, because everything else was very good.

Boston, Massachusetts
“At last, a lovely local full service restaurant!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2009

We have been to Gibbet Hill many times for many occasions and have always found the food and service to be very good. Even though it is essentailly a very good steakhouse, the seafood items are always fresh and well-prepared, as are the salads. Side dishes sometimes vary in quality, but that has changed since they began a collaboration with a local farm. Desserts, too, can be a little boring - the cookies and brownies lack character, so to speak, and the fruit desserts are always too sweet - but the chocolate pot du creme and the cheesecakes are quite good. It has a nice wine list and the by the glass offerings are well chosen. Reservations are recommended for parties over five, and weekends can be very crowded. Summer views are lovely in the early evening and the ambiance in winter is warm and cozy. We locals waited a long time for someone to fill this niche, and Gibbet Hill does it well and with style - we are proud that it is a one-of-a-kind local business.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Boston
“Pretty good depending on what you get”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2009

I rated this a 4 based on the fact that it's in Groton (where there aren't many options) although it's probably more like a 3.5. My wife and I eat here once every few months - atmosphere is great, drinks are well made and the bar area is nice. The dinner menu has some interesting things on it, although I've been disappointed the few times I got adventurous. The waitstaff is a mixed bag, but generally seem like they are trying. The steaks are fine, although you're paying near boston prices and you're not getting an Abe & Louies or Grill 23 steak (for instance when I order a ribeye at Grill 23 I expect to be able to eat the whole thing, fat and all and at Gibbet Hill I've had to leave some gristly pieces on the plate a few times). Best bet and best value is to stick with some of the burgres / sandwich type items and appetizers (great crab dip), that way you won't break the bank and the food is very good and reliable. Make a reservation or expect to have a decent wait on the weekends.

Massachusetts
“One of the worst meals of my life”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2009

The setting is gorgeous, but I had one of the worst meals of my life here on Mother's Day 2009. The menu said "roast lamb with pureed potato and fiddleheads." What I got was an ugly heap of overcooked, tasteless lamb.Under it was smeared 1/4" (no exaggeration) of potato. Fiddleheads, also overcooked, smothered in brown sauce, surrounded this mess. I ate some of it because I was not alone and was being hosted.
The hostess tried to give us the worst available table although many were empty. Service was untrained but seemed to be trying.
Worst of all, I was up most of the night with diarrhea.
Do people really know what "Gibbet" means? I would as soon go to a public execution as return to this place (slight exaggeration).

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere