“Very good food and warm welcome” 4 of 5 stars

+1 413-774-3150
Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 59 Restaurants in Greenfield
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene, Doing business, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Hope & Olive in Greenfield, MA is an award winning New American restaurant serving Lunch, Sunday Brunch, Dinner, Bar Menu, Coffees & Craft Cocktails in a fun and relaxed atmosphere. We are happy to accept a reservation for a party of 6 or more, and will accept names on our wait list in advance on the day you plan to come. Thanks for looking us up!
Road Town, Tortola
“Very good food and warm welcome”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2011

Very popular and rightly so. Very good menu with some unusual dishes. Had the deep south tofu - delicious and fun!

• Visited October 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Western Massachusetts
“Could Have Been in NYC or Boston. But The Local Ingredients Gave Away the Location.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

Hope and Olive is a little bit of a drive for us, but it's one we're willing to make because the food is so damn good. Our meal started with Thai Gazpacho. Thai. Gazpacho. And yes, it *was* as good as it sounds. Our meal ended with 'That Chocolate Cake' (Which is really what they call it). The soft dollop of whipped cream was totally over the top, but we didn't care. And everything in between not only sounded interesting, but actually tasted interesting. The chef is obviously interested in flavor!

Be sure to check out the custom drink specials. Unlike 99% of restaurants, they actually put some thought into their specialty drinks, and they are - as a result - actually thoughtful and delicious, and not sugar/vodka laden headache-inducing martinis.

• Visited August 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Greenfield. MA
“The best restaurant, anywhere.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2011

If you believe in eating fresh, locally produced, excellently prepared and creatively presented food, then this is the place for you. I am never disappointed in this restaurant, and we have been there many, many times. The staff is absolutely terrific as well. People come to this restaurant for a casual meal or a special occasion. The only thing that I would change is the noise level. Sometimes it is rather loud in the dining.

• Visited September 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Northampton, Massachusetts
“No chef in the kitchen”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

I first visited Hope and Olive about a year and a half ago, and although I only had appetizers and drinks, I enjoyed it thoroughly. So, for my wife's and my tenth anniversary, we decided to come back and try a whole meal. Big mistake. Although the atmosphere is lively and the decor pleasant, we were otherwise disappointed.

We called ahead, letting them know it was our tenth, and asking if we could have a quiet corner table. Instead, after a long wait at the bar, we were given a table next to the entrance to the kitchen and bathrooms. After asking to be moved, we were told it could be a 45 minute wait. So we stuck it out, hoping the food would make up for the crappy table. Here's a tip: unless you like Robitussin, under no circumstances should you order their "Swan Dive" cocktail. Yuck. Had to send it back. Double yuck. I can still taste it. We did have a mint and rhubarb-flavored drink that was tasty, though.

We ordered appetizers: a salad which was decent, and a Rhode Island-style calamari dish (fried with a tomato sauce for dipping) that was over battered and a little undercooked (and that's hard to do to a squid) and completely unseasoned (the horror!). It was a generous portion, though. Once we added salt, we got through about a quarter of it (and the salad which came out at the same time as the squid) before they brought out our entrees. Besides not being ready for them, there was no room on the little table for the plates, so the baffled and rather unpleasant runner turned around and marched back to the kitchen. After about 30 minutes, our server - who was just OK - cleared our plates and the entrees reemerged.

We both ordered off the specials menu; my wife got the swordfish, and I got a lamb shank tagine. It became instantly apparent (the congealed sauce gave it away) that at least the lamb dish was the same plate that came out 30 minutes prior. Cold, cold, cold. The lamb shank itself was undercooked by about an hour or two, and clearly cooked in too high a temperature braise. The braise liquid must have been unsalted water, as not only was the meat tough and stringy, it was absolutely flavorless. And it seemed as though they forgot to sear the meat before sticking it in the pot to cook. A crime to so badly treat such a great cut of meat that way. The Israeli cous cous, olives, currants, fennel and carrots that accompanied the meat were similarly seasoned (read tasteless), and the whole plate was devoid of any kind of sauce. The swordfish, which was grilled and plated very simply, was over salted and overcooked.

It really felt like there was no chef in the kitchen, just a bunch of shoe makers slogging through a Saturday night's production line. On a positive note, the chocolate cream pie we shared for dessert was well executed, if a little too sweet (maybe they should have used less sugar in the crust...?). If you're off to Hope and Olive, stick with the simpler cocktails or their nice selection of beers, and just order apps - if you must eat.

PS. I am really sorry to be writing this review as I very much wanted to like the restaurant (and to enjoy our special meal). They use local ingredients and support local farmers, and I appreciate that greatly. However, even with the best ingredients, execution and seasoning is essential to making good food. Sorry Hope and Olive. Get a real chef. (I know, harsh, right? Again, sorry.)

• Visited September 2011
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Oslo, Norway
“Great Find”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2011

We were looking to stop somewhere on our way home from dropping our son off at college and this place was on our route. We found it in the Explorer's Guide to Western MA. My sister ordered the vegetarian lasagna which was fresh and flavorful - it was almost as if the lasagna had been turned inside out.I was concerned that it would be some dense, casserole that had been sitting around a while - if you'd told me that each serving was made when the order was placed, I'd believe you. I got one of the specials - a crispy polenta dish. It was quite good - lots of fresh veggies in season, but didn't quite pack the punch of the lasagna dish.
The deserts are prepared in-house. I got "that chocolate cake." It was everything I could want in a chocolate layer cake - moist, chocolaty and generous. My sister's zuccini cake was dense and flavorful. Friendly service and a pleasant setting. I'll definitely consider stopping in again.

• Visited August 2011