“Not entirely satisfied” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Quality Inn Greenfield

You added Quality Inn Greenfield to your Saves list
Quality Inn Greenfield
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   125 Mohawk Trail, Greenfield, MA 01301 (Formerly The Greenfield Inn)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Greenfield
Ballston Spa, New York
“Not entirely satisfied”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

I do wish I had read the reviews before booking this hotel that we booked in January for a convention in July. The pool has been out of commission for years, according to previous reviews. The beds were not comfortable at all and there was a faint smell in the hotel. Our bathtub plug didn't stay put. Two of our light bulbs were out and it was very noisy. Yes, there are people "living" in one section of the hotel but that really didn't bother us as much as everything else. There was also standing water in the basement.
On the positive side, the location is great and the staff is very friendly. And I didn't see any bed bugs or cockroaches, so that's a plus too!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
North Smithfield, Rhode Island
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

I booked this hotel from a provided list for a local convention and didn't read the reviews until a few days before my stay. What I read horrified and terrified me, I almost backed out, opting to drive 4 hours everyday instead.

But no, I persevered despite a 28% rating, reviews that spoke of mattresses in hallways, a dried up pool, odors, clogged drains, bugs and filth of all sorts.

And so, after a two hour drive on lovely Thursday afternoon though some of western Mass' picturesque country-side, we arrived at the hated and loathed Quality Inn of Greenfield.

I was prepared, prepared for anything. Expecting my room to be the sum total of all the gruesome reviews.

Something my fellow reviewers could agree on, was the friendliness of the workers at the front desk. And I also found that to be true, they did their job and sent me on my way to my room of doom.

An odor. After entering the building, we smelled it. Yes, the odor of curry and Indian cooking we were fore-warned about. Not fresh Indian cooking, and it lingered throughout the weekend. Oh no, the reviews were all coming true, like a horrible prophecy.

We climbed the stairs covered with frayed and worn carpeting begging for death, the smell of old curry began to wane.

On the second floor, I could see that the stair carpeting was no mistake, the hallway too enjoyed it's charm.

And lo, we arrive at our room. The key card works on the first swipe. The door swings wide and I squint into the darkness of the unlit chamber.

Another odor, cleaning fluid. I may not wish my home to smell like this, but in a place frequented by who knows what, a welcome smell.

I flick the wall switch and a lone lamp illuminates the space. To my bewilderment I see what appears to be an average hotel room. I enter and turn back the curtains because surely the pure sunlight will reveal to me the horrors I have in store for the weekend. I look at the carpet and see fresh vacuum marks. Surely, someone has been cleaning here.

I peer out the window at a mighty blue hole surrounded by a locked fence and savage bushes. I think of all the children that once enjoyed playing here, now all old enough to vote and purchase alcohol.

The smell of cleaning fluids persist, but were not over-powering. I pull back the bed covers to reveal a surprising lack of stains and hair.

Inspecting the bathroom it's found to be unblemished, with a toilet that flushes, and a shower stall tiled, mostly devoid of mildew and with a functioning drain.

We were promised a refrigerator and there it stood, all 3 feet of it. It was cold and even froze our ice packs but not our turkey, cheese or yogurt. A modern miracle.

Turning to my wife with a look of shock, we realized that we had been given the one room that defied all reviews!

Following these revelations, a fine weekend was enjoyed by my lovely wife and myself. Save perhaps for the one long, black hair found bundled up with one of our bathroom towels. I threw the cloth to the floor as the one aberration I would hope to find.

And so, my fears were unfounded, I have stayed at worse venues.

Or have I? Upon writing this review, my fair wife has just informed me that her inspection of the refrigerator revealed MOUSE DROPPINGS! She had neglected to tell me so I could better enjoy my weekend. I thought her vigorous effort at cleaning the fridge was odd, even for her discriminating nature. Glad she brought that cleaning spray and rag.

Should you stay here? The mouse dropping news has certainly dimmed my view of the experience, but not entirely I suppose.

Perhaps the decidedly kind staff will add "clean the fridge" to their list of chores.

Albany
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

I am a Choice Hotels member - I have stayed in quite a few of these inexpensive rooms over the years. This Quality Inn was shockingly awful. First, when I was checking in, a pajama pants woman came into the lobby to ask if she had any mail. That was when I first realized that this hotel is being used as a shelter for homeless families. That in itself is not the problem - the problem is that this motel is being maintained at the level of quality that you would expect of a shelter, not of a motel where you would have to satisfy paying guests.

I examined the bed - no sign of bedbugs - the mattress looked clean and was comfortable. This hotel recently cleaned up from a bedbug problem - I know this because I had seen it on bedbugregistry.com but it's off now, and the desk clerk assured me everything was taken care of. I would have thought they cleaned the place as well...nope.

The rooms here have balconies - I was on the first floor with a slider to the parking lot - good thing I checked, because it was unlocked. There were two chairs, both badly stained - you would never sit on them - how disgusting...stained carpet - I wouldn't put my feet on the floor without shoes. Air conditioner worked well, but was so noisy it was impossible to sleep with it on. Toilet moved because it wasn't bolted to the floor, water didn't drain well from the tub, so as I was showering, the water was going up to my ankles - I hope it had been cleaned well before I got in.

No, I didn't complain and ask for another room - (I didn't think this that was the only terrible room and any other room would be lovely) I just dealt with it as I knew they were full (Green River Festival weekend, which is why I was there too). However, if I had known ahead of time, I would never have stayed at this dump.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Little Rock, Arkansas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

Avoid if possible. The room was acceptable for cleanliness. That is where the good comments end. Until about ten years ago, this was Howard Johnson's, and I don't think anything was updated since. Beds are hard, patio doors and worn out. Ice machine was 60 paces down three hallways, and vending machine don't exist.
These are the minor things. It seems that most of the staff, and their families, live in the motel. All morning I heard the children of the family outside the patio door, even found a pogo stick on the patio slab), early evening children running the hallway, later evening the adults hollering between rooms outside and in the hallways. If a room is being cleaned, it sounds like an earthquake. Make sure to security latch your door, the manager walked into my room, without knocking. Seems he had the wrong room. It's impossible to rest, relax, or get work done here.
Quality Inn needs to take their mane off this place. They are usually much better then this.
I rated the room this high because of price and location. Change the management and it would be tolerable, even if it is outdated.

Room Tip: Closer to the office is further away from the employee residences.
Fraser, Michigan, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

we stayed 3 nights and the location was great for our purpose-family visit. We chose this business because of its location and availability! We were glad to know there was a pool for us to unwind each evening--NOT!!! the pool was 'undergoing repairs'..other posts indicate it has been in this condition for a while. We always like WiFi availability ...well, as luck would have it, the WiFi was 'down' all w/end and repairs would not happen until Monday, our departure date...We came back to the hotel after our first day there to find that some major leak in a room down from us had caused our hallway to be closed/with traffic re routed outside the rest of the stay. Breakfast was good, everything was clean. Did NOT like the new 'plastic' lined mattress covers...not only did it 'crinkle' with every turn, it was quite hot. Also the AC is VERY loud..at 10-15 minute intervals as it goes on throughout the day/night. Other than that? We were pleased. I think owners just have to get their act together. I mentioned all these issues when leaving, manager was very nice, but no compensation was offered.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Monrovia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

Poorly maintained with a bed slightly softer than the floor. The only bright spot was the free breakfast. Even then, the famous waffle iron was broken and repair date unknown. Budget price but not worth the compromise.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2014

I am not a high maintenance person - but this place was bordering nasty. The staff was pleasant and helpful - that is what saved them from a 1 star. As well as a pretty decent breakfast - although you should really keep your perishables chilled.
The hotel smelled like mold and curry. The rooms were just atrocious. They were "clean" but just need a whole redo. I was too freak out to even shower. The beds were like lumpy rocks. Ceiling tiles were broken or missing not only throughout hotel but also my room.
There was nothing else available at the time I booked so I had no choice, but don't stay here if you can find somewhere else.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

Been to Quality Inn Greenfield? Share your experiences!