“Brewery and a Restaurant!” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night
Bayonne
“Brewery and a Restaurant!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

This is kind of a unique place with pretty good food. They have there own twist when it comes to how there food is prepared. I was skeptical at first but ended up eating there twice. Enjoyed it. There beer was pretty good. A couple were just ok. Service one day was good and the other was so-so. Obviously would go again.

• 4 of 5 stars Food

89% Recommend
London, United Kingdom
“Good food but with room for improvement”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

We had a very tasty burger and japanese style salad with pulled pork, both were very good. However, the burger came with crisps/chips which were straight out of a packet. It would have been better to serve the burger on its own than spoiling it with crisps (fries were not even an option on the menu). Also, service was a bit patchy and for dessert we had what was possibly the worst brownie I've ever tried in my life, so overall I can't give this place more than an "average" rating.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
“Warm beer and food that doesn't excite.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

The people's point is resting on its laurels. The beer is mediocre. The menu really doesn't change too much. The burritos are kind of bland and you can only have soba noodles with peanut sauce so many times. The waitstaff is friendly. Perhaps this is because they are thankful that some folks still keep coming back.

• Visited August 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“Good Food Great Beer”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

i came for the beer and wasn't disappointed. the food was also surprisingly good. it was very busy and we had to wait for a table but the beer made the wait bearable. the wait staff was very friendly and kept the beers coming throughout the meal. i look forward to visiting greenfield again and will definitely dine here again!

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Greenfield, Massachusetts
“Anniversary Bomb”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

I've been to the Pint once before, and with good results. Last night's visit, however, was quite another matter. As much as I love to support and share positive experiences about local businesses, my apologies to the good people of Greenfield, Massachusetts - this will not be that sort of review.

My date and I were promptly seated, as it was post-dinner rush, but there was still a good crowd and the weekly Wednesday Old Time Jam was well underway. My meal began with a cup of the New England Clam Chowder. I have a hard time resisting ordering this everywhere I go, and this was the most unusual version I’ve tasted. There was an acidic quality to the chowder base that I couldn’t quite put my finger on – almost as if buttermilk had been used to replace some of the cream or a bit of goat cheese had been stirred in at the end. Neither of those ingredients was mentioned on the menu, but the promised house-made bacon was nowhere to be found. The New England Clam Chowder was not the best I’ve ever tasted, but I didn’t find it nearly as off-putting as my companion.

Once our entrees arrived I eagerly dove in - we’d both ordered the Portobello Walnut Burger. It was beautifully presented, with very fresh grated carrot, tahini-dressed greens, and thin slices of cucumber. With my first bite, however, I knew that this burger was an epic fail. Before you jump all over me about this being a vegan entrée and my having false expectations, please understand that my date and I prepare and eat vegan and vegetarian foods at least 80% of the time. I do know a little something about this, and my date had the identical difficulty with his entree.

My issue was with the burger itself – and it was all about the texture. I couldn’t get the thought “snail” out of my head the entire time and I found it entirely unpalatable. I didn’t get much past halfway through my burger, which is notable in and of itself as I’m a card-carrying member of the “Clean Plate Club”. The roasted potatoes that accompanied our burgers were cold upon arrival and “crunch” simply wasn’t in their vocabulary. The only redeeming feature I could find on my plate was the pickle chips – new dill, crinkle-cut, still retaining some snap, and with good depth of flavor.

Perhaps the portobellos were old and past their prime last night, but I think seriously that this entrée should be removed from the menu and not served again until the slime factor is fixed. There is any number of ways that the slime issue could be addressed: a coarser grind of walnuts and portobellos; chopping the mushrooms rather than grinding them; the inclusion of something crunchy within the patty itself (diced onion?); using an alternate or additional grain to the oats (bulgur or quinoa?). This patty is in desperate need of some tooth!

As an aside, I found the waitstaff a bit stepfordish. Everyone seemed to service all tables equally. Perhaps they find this to be an efficient method of working – I simply felt like I was being hustled out of there in spite there being empty tables available.

Less than 90 minutes after leaving the People’s Pint I found myself spewing in the loo. My iron stomach is the stuff of legends – this simply doesn’t happen to me. I am having difficulty believing this morning that there was no connection to last night’s meal.

Why did I not send my entrée back, you ask? It was our anniversary, for heaven’s sake! The last thing I wanted to do was be disagreeable, embarrass my date, or cause any drama. I elected to keep my mouth shut, thinking it was perhaps just my burger that was so distasteful. Only later did I learn that my date found his burger equally unpleasant. Next meal I get that is this unacceptable goes back after the first bite, no matter what the occasion or who I’m with. Will I ever go back? Probably, but it will be a very long time before the memory of last night is distant enough for me to drag my feet across that threshold again.

• 1 of 5 stars Food