“Shiro Sushi and Hibachi” 1 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Larchmont, New York
“Shiro Sushi and Hibachi”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2015

This resturant is located near multiple hotels. We called in advance to see if our party of 9 needed a reservation. The woman on the phone said we did not. Normally a group that large needs a reservation but she didn't think so. We later went inside the resturant to get a table. We wanted a hibachi table but did not receive one as the hostess argued with us to make us think we didn't call. How low can you get? We knew this establishment had a habit of calling the police so we let it go. We were seated at a regular table to our dismay. Our server was kind and worked well with children. He was very busy as there was a full dining room. As he was one of the few servers on duty he was running back and forth from the kitchen. We got drinks and then ordered food. Most of our dinners came with soup or salad. I tried both. The salad dressing was pickled wich I thought was very strange and seemed not very fresh. The soup lacked any flavor and did not taste fresh. After waiting an hour and fifteen minutes we got our food. I ordered hibachi steak and shrimp from the kitchen due to the fact that we were not seated at a hibachi table. My steak was good and cooked the medium as I instructed. The shrimp we not very good they were rubbery and when we got back to the hotel my stomach did not feel well. If you want sushi or a show with dinner make a reservation but I did not have a positive experience.

“Great food and entertainment for whole family”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2015

We went to this restaurant with friends and were a group of 4 adults and 3 children. Everyone had a great time. The Hibachi chef was the most entertaining I have seen, preparing a wonderful meal with humor, and keeping the kids on the edge of their seats with fire, egg and knife antics. He really engaged with the kids to keep them entertained and made everyone comfortable at the table. Tons of food, and what you would expect to pay a Hibachi restaurant for excellent food and a memorable time. My son even tried a shrimp and ate fried rice for the first time and loved it! Would definitely come hear again if we visit Great Barrington.

• Visited January 2015
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Greenfield, Massachusetts
“Average Experience at Shiro for Sushi”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2014 via mobile

Went to Shiro for a quick business lunch with one work colleague. Arrived at straight up 12 noon and the place was empty. This is the first time I have eaten here and I was a little worried about what the quality of the sushi would be. An empty sushi restaurant at high noon could mean not the best or freshest products. My fears were for naught.

The place was clean and tastefully decorated. Staff were friendly and attentive to our needs. Water poured. Drink orders asked, but we declined and just had water. Food orders taken and we were eating our food in about 15 minutes.

We both ordered maki roll lunch specials. My colleague ordered 3 maki rolls. I got 2 maki rolls and a two-piece order of tuna sushi. Yellowtail with scallions and spicy salmon were my 2 maki choices. The presentation was pretty straight forward with not a lot of creativity in the plating. The maki and the sushi both seemed fresh. The tuna sushi had good color to it. I think the soy was a full salt version and I really prefer the lower sodium choices that I have been served at other sushi bars. Too much salt in the soy sauce can really overpower your food sometimes. The wasabi was pretty strong, which I really like.

Our bill came to 28 bucks. Our lunch specials totaled 21 bucks and then I had ordered two pieces of tuna sushi on top of that. I thought the price was okay. We could also have both added soup or a salad to our specials for $1.99 extra and that would have been a good value, but we chose to skip that option.

I thought the dining experience was overall pleasant and the service was also nice. The price seemed reasonable and the maki and sushi were fresh and very good. I would go back for lunch again if I am in the area.

Visited October 2014
New York
“Faltering and Uneven”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2014

We have been here at least 20 times over the past 3 years. Our 2 person tab (no drinks) averages about $150.00 as we typically over-order and wind up taking lots home.
Nonetheless, the food compares to average NYC fare but also comes with a pricier tab.
While I never expect more than I pay for, you would think that, as a good customer, tipping well, they would consider dropping a complimentary soda or appetizer ... Especially when they know it's a special affair (ie Birthday).
We also find that we need to check that we received what we ordered as they have, on occasion forgotten to add them.
Presentation over the years also dropped several points as they moved from fanciful to just plain Jane.
It seem that they just don't have good business sense when it comes to treating customers in any special way.

• Visited August 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Plymouth
“Not worth it!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

My husband and I have been to many hibachi style restaurants. The 'shows' the chefs put on are fantastic and fun. Our chef seemed so disinterested, which was the first disappointment we had with Shiro's. Note, our 'show' for six people lasted approximately 20 minutes. The drinks were our second disappointment. Hardly any alcohol in a drink that cost almost $8.00. Needless to say, we only had one each. Our third disappointment was the food, which was disgusting. My chicken had so much soy sauce and teriyaki sauce on it that I couldn't eat it....too much salt...couldn't taste the chicken. My husband's main dish was shrimp. Again, way too much salt and soy sauce on it to truly enjoy. Our server asked if we wanted to take it home...I said "no", as I wouldn't even serve it to my dog. Now that I've read several other recent reviews of this restaurant, I don't think we'll be back.

• Visited April 2014