“AWFUL CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!!” 1 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Salisbury, Massachusetts
“AWFUL CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2012

On Saturday February 11, 2012 at Approximately 8:30 PM I called Shiro Sushi and Hibachi in Great Barrington, Ma. to ask what time we would be able to be served til. I was told 10:30 PM but, it could be 10:00 PM if it was slow.
We arrived just prior to 10:00 PM to find that the Hibachi section was closed and there was no Hibachi Chef available. We were told that the same dinners could be cooked in the kitchen. We were seated. There was no one else in the Restaurant.
I ordered a Coke, no ice with a lemon. It was completely flat. I did not mention it or complain at this time. We ordered a Sushi/Roll platter. It was good We ordered a Hibachi Lobster and a Hibachi Sirloin Steak. When our food arrived we got a Hibachi Shrimp and a Hibachi Shrimp and Lobster. I immediately told the waiter that this was NOT what we had ordered. He was dumbfounded. By now it was approximately 10:30 PM. The waiter did not offer to correct our order. I asked the waiter that if we accepted the wrong meals could they only charge us for one? He said the owner would only approve of a 10% discount. I told him we would not pay 90% for something we did NOT order and did NOT want. I told him I wanted to speak to the owner or manager. He walked away and we just sat there looking at the incorrect order brought to us. We did NOT eat it at this point. He returned and told us he would only charge us for one meal. We started to eat and a few minutes later the lady who sat us down came over and told us that he was wrong and she would be charging us for both meals. She offered to take the Shrimp off our plates and add the correct items. I asked her if they would be re-making the plate and she said no. I told her she could charge us whatever she wanted but we would not be paying for both meals. I told her if they could not figure this out to call the local police or I would. She walked away and we tried to eat our RUINED dining experience. The waiter or the lady never tried to salvage us as customers and did not come back over to our table. At one point she walked by and mentioned that she did call the police. A few minutes later an officer arrived. He spoke to her and the waiter and then sat down next to us. We explained the situation. After 20 minutes or so we were told that the restaurant agreed to only charge us for one meal. We did not even eat half of our meals due to their mistake and the police being involved. I thought it was a good idea as a last resort to suggest the police get involved as we did not want to leave and have it look like we were trying to not pay for the service/food we ate.
Lastly, I don't think i should have been charged anything for the meals that we did NOT order, only for our Sushi Platter and beverages.

• Visited February 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Boston, Massachusetts
“Decent Hibachi, Lots of Fun”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2011

I think it's an old Burger King, yet recoverted into a Sushi and Hibachi restaurant. The deore is pretty cool and the open Hibachi area is not as crowed as normal hibachi areas. The Hibachi chefs are fun, entertaining, skilled and really bring the customers into the show. We ate on the ala carte side and had a decent meal, yet their service was pretty slow. My son ordered an extra side of shrimp and an extra side of lo mein. The lo mein came on a separate plate, yet the waitress said the side of shrimp was mixed in with his regular shrimp hibachi. The funny part was that the number of shrimp was the same on my wife's hibachi shrimp, which did not have an extra side.
Nevertheless, it's a decent place to eat.

• Visited October 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Boston, Massachusetts
“Worst service EVER!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2011

We arrived promptly for our 7:30 reservation only to be told that they couldn't accomodate our large party at the habachi. So, we took a separate table, four in our family and two friends, with the rest at the habachi. We were seated for ten minutes before we had to ask for menus and water and tea (no tea was served during our meal). After 15 more minutes, we again hailed down our waiter to order our food, asking for separate checks for my family and the two friends. Surprisingly, the sushi dishes came out before the cooked items (~1 hour). The staff provided a lame apology after the main crowd had left, leaving only a handful of people in the restaurant, but still making us wait another 15 minutes for an unagi and salmon entree to come. By the time our main dishes had arrived, our friends at the habachi had already eaten and were ready to leave (9:10). The MOST APPALLING part of the night was the 18% gratuity on our bill! They said that we were a party of greater than 6, although they separated our group, and after we asked for separate checks, making it 4 people on our check. They refused to budge after providing such horrific service, claiming it was their policy. We paid, but were very unhappy, but they didn't seem to care one bit. Final words, for mediocre food, the worst service imaginable and charges unfitting any establishment, try Shiro. However, I would truly recommend that you go elsewhere.

• Visited January 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Great Barrington, Massachusetts
“Manager canceled our reservation”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2010

Our party of 10 made a New Years Eve reservation for 4pm in order to sit at the Hibachi table, and we left the ski slopes early with our 4 adults and 6 kids ages 6-16 and were turned away at the door when we arrived - having been told that someone from our party had called and canceled our reservation - an outright lie. Needless to say... we would NOT recommend that you trust your dinner reservation to this restaurant.

Pittsfield, Massachusetts
“so delicious & relaxing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2010

iIhave been to both locations, Great Barrington & Pittsfield. The ambiance of Shiro is so relaxing.. the sushi was so fresh & there were so many choices. The sushi boat for 2 was phenomonal! Both restaurants are simply beautiful and the staff is wonderful.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere