“Good beer, OK service, lousy food...” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Cuisines: American, Brew Pub, Pub
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Since 1995 the Barrington Brewery has been serving our own Barn Brewed Beer and food made from scratch. We were the first brewery on the east coast to install a solar panel system that supplies solar-heated hot water for brewing and restaurant use.
Rome, New York
“Good beer, OK service, lousy food...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

The beers are brewed on premises and are delicious! My husband had their generous sampler and decided on their stout, I skipped the sampler and went straight to the stout....Mmmmmmm. The service at the bar was just OK, the patrons were a little rough...lots of f-bombs being thrown around even though it was only 1:30 in the afternoon. My husband and I were fine with it, but I would have felt a little awkward if we were with my parents or something. Now...onto the food: not very good. I had the brisket melt, which was brisket, slaw, russian dressing, and swiss served open-faced. Where to start? The "brisket" was pulled rather than sliced and very dry and tasteless, there was barely any dressing, and was smothered in cheese. It was served with "bottom of the bag" chips. There was literally not a single whole chip on my plate. My husband had the Philly, and after being asked twice if he wanted chicken or steak, was still served the chicken when he asked for steak. Too hungry to complain, he ate it and said it was OK, but like my brisket the chicken was dry and flavorless. Bottom line, when we're back in the area we'll probably stop in for a drink but move on down the road for food.

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

great barrington,ma
“Best Beer in the Berkshires ! Period !!! Good Food Too :)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

Let's start with the beer - Outstanding ! Barn Brewed on the premises and the seasonal brews are always something to look forward too , Yule Fuel my favorite ! Good menu selections and many great specials and or waiter Carol , always pleasent . Keep up the good work guys and gals.You are one of the many reasons WE love living in the berkshires and others are finding their way here.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
phoenix
“Terrible fish”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

We ordered a baked fish, and it came in a bowl over cooked spinach, and with a spoon! It was tasteless and limp.
The next day we realized it had to have been poached fish. Either the waitress didn't hear our order correctly, or the kitchen was out of the baked version and passed off something else.

Visited October 2012
Biddeford, Maine
“Quite the happening local spot”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

This is apparently the place to go in the Great Barrington area. The place was packed every night which made me wonder if anyone stays home and cooks in the Berkshires.

Staff were okay overall. I probably wouldn't go back solely based on the staff and service.

One night I had a problem with a meal which I put to the side and my waitress came over and just grabbed the plate even though I had hardly touched the food. She never asked if there was a problem with my meal and just proceeded to tell me about their dessert offerings. I was a little surprised by this but I left it alone and didn't feel like bringing it up.

Visited October 2012
boston, massachusetts
“A favorite restaurant of Great Barrington locals.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

An unusual place, a restaurant with a barroom to the side that’s part road house and part brewery outlet. Portions tend to be large and the food good, with some imaginative items. Desserts are made in-house, are especially likely to be large-sized, and are first-rate. If you have just the one evening in Great Barrington I’d recommend the place. In addition to everything else, itt has a friendly, laid-back quality that will send you away feeling well treated.

The restaurant sells only the beers it brews. I’ve tried a few of them and have liked them all. You can order a tasting tray containing three ounce servings of five beers for the price of a normal serving of just one beer.

Decoration is unadorned road house: dark wood, no pictures, little outside light. The main serving room has tables and booths along the wall, with lots of space in the middle of the room. No need to feel you’re elbowing someone at the next table. If the restaurant isn’t crowded this is the one room that’s used, but if it’s crowded there are other rooms that can be opened. It’s always possible to sit at the bar.

There’s an all hours menu that runs to salads, bar food like nachos and chicken wings, and sandwiches. The nachos is a heaping plate of chips, cheese, jalapenos and salsa, right for sharing alongside beer and conversation. Sandwiches are fully packed. I can recommend the brewer’s pocket, which is half a pita stuffed with spinach, turkey, bacon, sprouts, onion and melted cheese, with blue cheese dressing.

The after five menu turns the ingredients of the sandwiches into entrees. Mostly I’ve liked these, but I have to note that herb baked cod over spinach is bland and watery despite a generous portion of good fish properly cooked. I can recommend the brisket -- the kitchen stocks horseradish should you want it. Eggplant parmesan has been good. If you don’t find anything among the entrees you can order one of the always reliable sandwiches.

This is a favorite restaurant for lots of people in the Great Barrington area and, despite its many spaces, it can get crowded on Saturday evenings and the evenings before holidays. It doesn’t hurt to make a reservation.

• Visited September 2012