“Should have read reviews prior to booking” 2 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Halifax, Canada
“Should have read reviews prior to booking”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

Check in was pleasant 3 staff members falling all over each other to help. As priority members we usually receive a couple of bottles of water (one for me and one for my wife). Here they give you one (I guess they assume we'll share). The hotel is not clean. The stainless steel on the elevator has smudges all over the wall. A maintenance man joined us on the elevator and was not dressed very well - he should have been provided a uniform or at least a company shirt. The room was not well cared for either and the sheet on one bed was dirty - a stain that probably couldn't come out in washing - but to make the bed with the dirt showing was ridiculous. Throw it away!! The breakfast girl did not clean the tables. She stood by and watched me clean my table with a napkin. As guests left their tables she just sat and watched - did nothing. The OJ was mostly water. I told here it might be running low and she went over, tasted it, rolled her eyes and went back and sat down. Did nothing. On checkout the gal was personable but she looked very unprofessional. Like the maintenance man she needed a uniform or blazer and could have taken time to comb her hair. I'm used to seeing professional people hosting at Holiday Inns - here they are not. For 125.00 a night it should show better. In 2 weeks of travels this was the most expensive and the least value. I would understand if this were a Mom and Pop operation trying to make ends meet. Holiday Inn should be ashamed.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Great Barrington, responded to this review, June 30, 2013
Dear RetiredGuy51,

Thank you for posting a review of our property. I am happy to hear you had a pleasant check in. However, I sincerely apologize for any discomfort or inconvenience you may have experienced due to the level of staff service received, room rates and how the staff's clothes fell below your expectations. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Thank you again for your comments. We hope that you will afford us another opportunity to show you how great our hotel is.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Newburgh, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

Visited over Memorial Day weekend with a group of girls for a Basketball Tournament. The staff was extremely helpful with suggestions regarding evening meals, the indoor pool and whirlpool made the trip for the girls, the rooms were clean and comfortable. Breakfast bar was maintained by USMC Vet Frank who did a great job and was proud of it. I would recommend this Holiday Inn to any travelers.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

Mkay, so we went to the Holiday Inn Express in Great Barrington MA for a wedding. I am already a holiday inn express fan because I like their breakfast. THIS PLACE IS BETTER than all the other holiday inn express' out there. A bold statment I know, why is it better? 1 reason Franjk (think I spelled it right). Franjk was the man, he ran the breakfast buffet at this holiday inn express and the man did it well. I chatted with him while I snacked on a bacon egg and cheese english muffin with some white gravey on top (all FREE CUZ IT WAS CONTINENTAL AWW YEA) and Franjk was in the Marines. Guy is a total BA. Runs marathons, his brother does karate, he kept that breakfast bar clean and stocked like it was nobody's business! Also he gave good hiking recommendations. We (lady friend and I) trucked it up to Bear Town National Park on his recommendation and walked all over that mountain. All around a lake. Signed some guest book and connected with nature. It was great. The rooms were clean, all the folks really nice. Check in was a breeze. Also there was this Sandwich place down the street called Schmidty's it was AWESOME. Big ole sandwiches with really nice people. Highly recommend this holiday inn and its dominant breakfast bar experience. Get excited!

Room Tip: Hotel is only 2 stories. The views were not great. But you are in western Massachusetts, go outside...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Oneonta, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013 via mobile

Great staff! Clean rooms, good breakfast,close to many attractions and things to do. Frank managed the breakfast bar and did a great job! College graduation the weekend we were there, so it was busy but not lacking for anything. Would stay again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed May 2013
Pittsfield, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013 via mobile

My wedding is in July and very close to this hotel. When I asked to block off rooms for my guests, I was told that they will not do this for me because they don't NEED local business during the summer. I understand that summer is busy in Berkshire County but local support is always important! This hotel would have been the BEST location and now our guests will need to travel a little more.
Also I was told the rooms would be over $400 per nite which is higher than the website, and again, no discounts for groups even though I'd be bringing a lot if business to them. I feel that this is a very ugly way to treat locals. Most of the people coming are from out of town and so I needed rooms or my shower in June and also about 50 rooms next winter for a work event. Obviously, we will be giving another hotel this business.
I did not appreciate being brushed off as unimportant.

Stayed February 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Great Barrington, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Dear Nikki_P16,

Thank you so much for your candid review of our hotel. I am deeply sorry for the unacceptable service you have received from our staff. I assure you that this is not the norm you should expect from our hotel. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare
Hamden, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Stayed here a couple nights in one of the Jacuzzi rooms. The tub was a bit comical because it was bright red and in the shape of a giant heart. It was also front and center in the room instead of being back by the bathroom. That didn't stop my wife and I from trying it out. It took forever to fill up because the water pressure was low and the jets were really weak but the hot water felt good after a day of snowboarding.

The gas fireplace in the room was a nice touch. It warmed us right up and helped dry off our gear. The bed was really comfortable. The room and hotel was very clean and the staff was friendly and helpful. The pool happened to be closed while we were there which was disappointing.

There's a number of restaurants and stores nearby so the location is very convenient. It was 2 miles from butternut and I think Catamount is about 20 minutes away. There's a pub across the street from the hotel that brews their own beer but has terrible food. Breakfast in the hotel was decent and they didn't run out of anything.

Overall it was a good stay and I would come back if taking another trip up to Butternut.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Chambersburg, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

A last minute decision that I was too tired to make it all the way to my Boston-area destination led me to spend one night. I've stayed here before in traveling between New England and Pennsylvania. The front desk clerks were pleasant and helpful==which was not really the case on previous visits.The rooms are pleasant and the beds comfy. The free breakfast is better than average; I appreciate the convenience of it. I had an enjoyable chat with the breakfast host. It is wonderful to be in Great Barrington; I just wish it weren't quite so expensive.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Been to Holiday Inn Express Great Barrington? Share your experiences!