“Disappointing: Don't expect any real renovations.” 2 of 5 stars

Cape Ann's Marina Resort
75 Essex Ave., Gloucester, MA 01930   |
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Gloucester
Massachusetts
“Disappointing: Don't expect any real renovations.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2010

Being from Gloucester, I occasionally travel back with my husband. He booked this weekend as a Valentine's Day gift. We had been to the Marina before and enjoyed the pool, hated the lack of parking. But it was decent enough and my husband informed me that they had boasted that the rooms had all been renovated. Parking wasn't an issue as it was off-season so there was no need to fight the recreation boaters for a parking spot. The room looked exactly the same as the first time we went...minus one thing; new linens. Unfortunately, this time we got a room with a sub-standard bathroom. It was clearly in disrepair, the toilet barely flushed, the shower looked (and worked ) like it was from the 60's, the bathroom door didn't close, the main door was a pain to close...and they called this a suite? No mini fridge, no micro, but yes, an ironing board. We dealt with the room since we visit Gloucester for the location. We were woken at five a.m. by very loud shouting that continued for about an hour. Apparently an entire drill team was there for some competition. I called the front desk to complain and was told that the drill team was leaving "for good" in ten minutes. I clarified again and was assured they were leaving the hotel. We head out to the parking lot two hours later and there's their bus. I went to the front desk and asked a different worker if the drill team was leaving...nope. I was told (by a very condescending individual), that they would talk to the drill sargeant. Right, like I was going to trust the front desk again. We checked out and find a wonderful place with a view of Good Harbor Beach, was less money, and was an efficiency unit! Not to mention that everything was in perfect working order and we had a delicious continental breakfast. So really I should thank this dump...I found my new Gloucester go-to!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Southington, CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2009

We booked one night following a party and my husband throught it was "ok", but I loved it. He's not an ocean/beach person, but I am and think this is the main reason for the ratings here. I was looking for the oceanside feel - seagulls, boats, sea air and got it!

Our room reminded me of a summer cottage rental, walls/floors not very thick but it wan't really noisy either, even with a wedding going on right outside our door. The room was very large and roomy, tv, refrigerator, microwave.

We ate at the restaurant on site and had a great lunch. The food experience must depend on what you order from the menu - we got seafood and it was terrific. At night we visited the on site bar (same location as the restaurant) and they had a local band playing - very happy, homey atmosphere! The people in this area are so friendly and easy going too.

Not much more to say since we didn't stay very long, but I would book here again and explore the area a bit more.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Kennett Square, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2009

I booked a room (grateful to get the last one!) for our 3-day whale watching trip to the area. I did expect motel quality after reading reviews. The beds were comfy, the shared back porch had a decent view of a dried up bay and my my mom and young niece loved the indoor pool. Our main disappointments were: that we thought we'd be within walking distance to a lot--especially the whale watch we came for. We found out at check-in that the whale watch had moved and there wasn't anything else around without a drive. The restaurant in the parking lot was hospital quality food--so we only ate our first meal there and no others. I felt the service was kind of lame with one desk clerk. We did wake up at 6 a.m. to a full blown fire alarm that went on for quite a while. Firemen in full uniform were up on our 3rd floor hallway looking for the fire. During the whole ordeal i could not get a hold of anyone in security or the front desk. The hallways are not air conditioned, so if you're on the 3rd floor, realize there is no elevator and pack light bags--you'll be climbing stairs in the heat. If visiting the area again, i'd definitely drive another mile into the town of gloucester, or at least the waterfront area right next to the town--as it was very scenic. I'd say don't miss Latitude 43 restaurant in the town of Gloucester--we ate there twice in one day and loved the food, ambience, staff, location and restaurant decor. Don't miss the 10 hr meter parking in the neighboring lot either--it was very conveninet.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
NORWELL, MA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2009

The location is terrific. Service and people could not have been nicer. Room did not even have a closet a small cubby hole that you could fit five maybe six shirts. Bed and linens were very very nice. We had to ask for a Tub Mat so we did not slip in tub, one not provided. They woke us up each morning with roofing tiles coming past our window. Apperently they were fixing or replacing roof. No elevators at all, we had to walk up several flights of stairs with luggage. Plenty of parking spaces and the Gull Resturant on property was very good. This location is very nice but the Hotel is so old musty and run down the repairs would be in the milliions to fix. Tear down and rebuild is better route for them to go. Pool area is nice. I believe for the price of 100.00/night I should not complain but this place is not good. Will not return sorry to say.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Springfield, ma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2008

I found this place by digging deep on the net...We needed to stay 2 nights for a wedding in Gloucester in the summertime, and found many rooms really expensive and too much for us.
We initially booked the Crow's Nest (infamous from the Perfect Storm movie) but before a couple weeks before the wedding we heard it was cheap for a reason. The Cape Ann Marina was the next best rate, and when we showed up, we were surprised to find our room was very spacious, nice balcony with a good view of the river where the boats are going back and forth, and the pool and hot tub was fantastic.
The Gull restaurant is right there, and we enjoyed the food. We hung out on the nice balcony outside the pool for hours, and watched the boats all day and got a great feel of how the Gloucester way of life was.
The morning after the second night we found out they had a complimentary customer appreciation breakfast -which was pretty much a large buffet, and the food was fantastic -held at the outdoor area where wedding receptions are held. We also received some free nice portable coolers! However, don't expect this...we were told they do that only periodically. You may get lucky like we did!
The staff was great, and friendly, and there were no hassles with the online reservations, or troubles with the room. I HIGHLY recommend this place, we'll be sure to return!!

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2008

We stayed for a long weekend at the Cape Ann Marina/Resort. and found the rooms were clean and well appointed, the deck overlooking the marina was a great spot for having a cup of coffee and viewing the activity in the marina and on the annisquam river. The service was friendly and efficient - the pool and area was well kept. I especially enjoyed the sunset cruise on the flat-bottomed boat which was free to guests. We had a pleasant breakfast at the Gull restaurant again overlooking the marina and the river.

I was pleasantly surprised because if I read the reviews on this site before I booked, I would have missed this "gem" of the North Shore. In this economy, it is good to know of affordable vacation sites that give you value for the money spent.

• Liked — The laid back atmosphere - watching the boat traffic in the marina and river
  • Disliked — would have liked an elevator to second floor
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Harrisburg, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2008

I was a little disappointed when I got here, as it didn't look exactly like the brochure. The marina sells & services boats, so the parking lot seemed full of boats. However, there was sufficient parking spaces for the motel guests once I got past all the boats.

I was very pleased with my room, which included a kitchenette. The king sized bed was very comfortable with plenty of pillows. I was fortunate to be on the 1st floor, as there is no elevator, & I might have had trouble getting my suitcase up the stairs. From my balcony I had a nice view of the Annisquam River looking toward the drawbridge. It is about a 15 minute walk to the waterfront. There is a small gas station/convenience store next to the property. The Gull Restaurant is on the premises. The Causeway Restaurant, very small, but with good food, is across the road with a liquor store ajacent.

Some guests complained of being awakened very early in the AM by fishermen, but I didn't have any problem with noise. The front desk staff was very courteous. I loved the pool & sauna! I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

• Liked — indoor pool & sauna
  • Disliked — no elevator
  • Stayed May 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Cape Ann's Marina Resort? Share your experiences!