“Don't believe them.They lie!!!” 1 of 5 stars

Cape Ann's Marina Resort
75 Essex Ave., Gloucester, MA 01930   |
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Gloucester
Ipswich, Massachusetts
“Don't believe them.They lie!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

The hotel has nice views of the River and the Marina.That is all they have.The restaurant was not open for breakfast until next week and we were not told about this until we went for breakfast.We were told that they don't have enough staff for breakfast.I wonder why.The website says that the restaurant was opened in mid June and it does not say anything about not serving breakfast.In fact the room book says that it is open for breakfast year round! The sunset cruise is not free as stated in their brochure and on the website in other places.The Jacuzzi was too hot and my family and another couple had to get out before we fainted.The temp read 102 degrees, but it felt alot hotter than that.The vending machine in the hall never worked.We told the front desk who did give us our money back, but the machine was never fixed.The nexy day it still did not work.They did give us a 10% coupon for breakfast at another restaurant.This was not a fair trade for their lies.It should have been at least 50% off or a free breakfast!Clearly the mangaement is lacking experience and has not taught the staff how to respond well to complaints.The manager was not there on the day we asked for her.There was no person in charge of this hotel for our concerns and needs.The staff told us that she was off today, because she has 2 small children to care for and cannot afford daycare.I thought that this was a pretty lame excuse for not having someone in charge of the hotel.The management of this hotel was pretty terrible to say the least.To top it all off they charged our full stay before we even had our first night of their lovely services (not!!).We had already paid a deposit for the first night of our stay a week in advance and now they have charged us for 4 nights w/o notice to us.I could not take any more lies and we checked out!!Do not stay in this hotel!!They lie about everything!!!This is not a legal resort.This place will be investigated soon.Thank you for reading my review.I hope to have saved many innocent people from this horrible place!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Do not go to this horrible place ever!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
reservedgirl, Guest Relations Manager at Cape Ann's Marina Resort, responded to this review, July 31, 2012
It’s unfortunate that you did not enjoy your stay. While we understand that everyone is entitled to their own opinion we must clarify a few false accusations.

1) Cape Ann’s Marina Resort is operating completely legally has been doing so for 40 years. Every year 5 City Government Departments go through the entire resort in order to renew our Hotel Permit and License, as well as our Pool Operating Permit and our Restaurant Permit. At any given time an official from any of these departments can and will show up for an unexpected inspection. If at that time (as well as during the yearly inspection) they see anything out of the ordinary, or illegal, they can and will shut down the establishment. This has NEVER happened. We are running fully legally.

2) Our restaurant is quite new (opened June 18, 2012) and yes, it’s true, that we had not started to serve breakfast yet on-site. While this is an inconvenience of which we apologize for, we cannot serve breakfast until we are positive that it will run smoothly as we want to put our best efforts forward. Lunch, dinner and drinks are served 7 days a week from 11am-10pm and discount breakfast coupons will be given out to a great local restaurant until our breakfast service is operational. We are in hopes that it will start the first week of August.

3) The temperature of our Pool always runs between 81-84 degrees and the Jacuzzi runs between 101-103 degrees. It is illegal for the temperature to be above 104 degrees per Massachusetts code. The Health Department makes frequent visits and has never had an issue with the temperature of our pool and jacuzzi. Everyone has a different sensitivity to heat and humidity, this we cannot control.

4) It is standard hotel practice to take a full authorization on a credit or debit card at check-in. At CAMR we take the full authorization plus 15% for any incidental charges that may occur unless the guest requests that the charge be taken in full at check-in or they pay cash. The authorization is taken as a way to secure the funds for payment at the end of the stay. This authorization shows up on your account as a PENDING CHARGE. Once a guest checks out the authorization is turned over to an actual charge or is released if the guest requests to use a different form of payment. At this time the authorization is released by CAMR but may take 7-10 days for your bank to release the hold.

5) There is always someone on-site to speak with in regards to an issue during your stay. If a manager is not available an owner or the president is always willing to speak to a guest. Unfortunately we were not given the chance to offer you this option.

6) Our river cruise is no longer free during stays due to the rise in fuel prices, the reduction of our passenger allotment (per USCG), and the economy. This change was made during the early spring season and was taken off our website and all other documentation once the decision was made. Anyone that had booked prior to this decision was sent a letter via email, anyone booking after the decision was not told of a free cruise. This is a disappointment, we understand.

As always, our main concern is our guests happiness and enjoyment of their stay. We apologize that your stay was not up to your standards but will say that we tried our best to accommodate you and your family.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Acton, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

I drove around Rockport and Gloucester looking for a hotel instead of a B&B. I was tired and beached out. There are areas of Gloucester that are not very desirable, and I was ready to head back to Rockport when I found the Marina. I was actually sitting in my car googling hotels when a marina worker was in the lot. So I asked about the hotel, location, and other possible places. He even called the front desk on his radio phone and asked for availability and rate! What a nice guy.

So, I took it and was glad I did. Considering it was a Saturday in July and a wedding going on, I felt lucky. They had a nice indoor pool with a bar, outside / inside main dining and deck fare. No fancy extras here, but it gave the chance to get up early and hit the beaches when they fill up fast!
Also noticed the Annisquam River tour was about to leave so booked that and it was a great sunset tour! Highly recommend it. Suitable even for children.
When we returned, I hardly had time to order dinner before the restaurant closed.

Room Tip: The 2nd 3rd floors have better views of the beautiful river / estuary.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Puerto Rico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012 via mobile

I stay during June 18 to 20, 2012 The property have a great location and the staf is great. The views are nice and very quiet during my stay. The hotel can be better with few improvements. First, I will love new beds, when you are far from home the best you need is a very good mattress. I don't use the restaurant but during my stay was opend. I think we need to give the information to the manager in order for them to work and repair the hotel. This hotel have a great potential.

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

If your goal is to have someplace to relax yet stay close to activities please consider the Cape Ann Marina. While the Cape Ann Marina doesn't offer newly renovated rooms with flat screen tvs they do offer a clean room with the basic necessities, a great view of the draw bridge and a very curteous and helpful staff. Certain days of the week they offer great whale watching packages. We will be returning to Cape Ann Marina. Maybe next time I will enjoy some of the services they offer at their spa.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Half Moon Bay, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

My friend and I stayed here while in the area for a wedding. The one plus was the nice view of the harbor. The minuses though... Their web site billed them as being a resort, with 2 restaurants, massage and facials, etc. When we asked about these we were told that their restaurant was due to open mid June (it was already June 14) and they never gave an explanation about their 2nd restaurant.  Massages were available with 24 hr notice, but the facial person was sick and wouldn't be back for a week. The bar was only open for a private event. We asked where a grocery store was for some morning food and we were directed to the Mobil station convenience store 1/2 block away. All of this was problematic because the location is very isolated with all the restaurants and grocery stores a couple miles away in town and we didn't have a car. Luckily, there was one great locals restaurant a couple blocks away (the Causeway) and the Mobil station had a Dunkin Doughnuts.  As to the accommodations, the room was on the dingy side with uneven painted walls, the mini fridge and microwave sat out in the hallway and the office closed at 10pm so we couldn't get any ice after that. The walls were very thin and the first night we listened to an insomniac pace the floor above us. I didn't think the prices were in line with their quality (or lack of) and overall it was definitely not what I would call a self contained "resort".

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Washington, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

By the looks of their website, this place looked like a resort with a lot of amenities. In reality things are a little different. It's kind of away from Downtown where there is nothing going on. It's set back and tucked away amidst a bunch of boats and buildings. It has a small docking area where people keep their boats. It's situated on a canal/river area. There is no restaurant that I could discern. Only a bar at the pool and another deck type bar. When I inquired about my free river cruise, (website says free river sunset cruise for guests, this was a selling point for me!) I was told, "Oh sorry, that's on Monday's only". The website does not specify this exactly, only says runs from June to Labor Day (hello it is June!). The room we had was updated with new furniture, but the rugs were just yucky. The king size bed was kind of uncomfortable. All in all, it was just OK, nothing really memorable. The highlight of the stay was when my husband noticed the boat from the show "Wicked Tuna" was docked there ( Tuna.com) My husband loves that show.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
South Lyon, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2012

Stayed at this hotel in mid-March for a family wedding. I was worried when another family member called before we got there to say we might want to inquire about getting our money back and finding elsewhere to stay as other guests were unimpressed. When we arrived, we found there was an error in our reservation and we were booked for one night instead of two. The person attending the desk was apologetic and worked hard to remedy the situation. We ended up with a room to sleep in the night of the wedding, but had to move from our king room to a room with double beds. We were offered a discount for our trouble, which we appreciated. As other reviewers stated, the furnishings, decor and bathroom are definitely shabby and outdated. However, I found that our room was very clean and it was convenient to the wedding, which is all I really cared about. Several other guests complained of the discomfort of their beds, but I did not have this problem. I think this was very poor value for the money spent (we stayed at a nice new waterfront hotel in Salem a few days later in a junior executive suite for only $5 more than what we paid here and it was much nicer). However, since the wedding was off-season in Gloucester, I suppose the marina can charge what it wants since it is one of the only places open. I would not recommend this place to others unless the price starts to reflect the budget accommodations.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Been to Cape Ann's Marina Resort? Share your experiences!