“Always glad we came” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Dessert
Salem, Massachusetts, USA
“Always glad we came”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

Whenever we are in the Gloucestor area, we always make it a point to have dinner at Passports. The popovers, as others have mentioned, are always a great way to start, although don't expect to have more than one. There are a wide array of salads and entrees to choose from and we have never been disappointed. Good service too, and all of this with fairly reasonable prices make this one of our favorites.

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Kansas
“food = 5, service = 1”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

My large party started with shared appetizers; crab cakes and mussels were fantastic. Then came the accident, a high-speed collision between my head and a 5-lb plate. (I had been leaning to the side to converse with someone, and straightened up just as the server was delivering my main course. The setting was such that I could not possibly have seen her coming.)
I fully understand that nobody hurt me deliberately, but I was really hurt and distressed, and the restaurant's reaction made matters worse. Both the server and the owner/manager apologized - but with excuses. "It was loud, it was crowded, this has never happened before, etc." My suggestion, that future accidents could be avoided if servers reached further toward the center of table before lowering plates to customers' head level, was dismissed. They treated my husband the same way. Our evening was ruined. A week later, my headaches are finally intermittent and minor.

Visited August 2012
Orlando, Florida
“Started out a little shakey, but improved!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

One of the things I like about this restaurant is the serving of the popovers. Well, last night the popovers were a bit burnt and dry and were just kind of thrown on our little plates with no butter. When we sat down, Waitress informed us they were short staffed and apologized for our wait of a table, etc. she tried her best, but wasn't too attentive and we received our bottle of wine, but my husband had to wait quite sometime for his beer and we had to remind her of his order for the beer. Food was very good and at end of meal our waitress gave us a coupon for a free app and dessert for our next visit, which was much appreciated. A few missteps last night, but would return possibly for lunch, not dinner.

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Massachusetts
“Do Not Miss if you are in Gloucester”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

Passports is one of the best in a myriad of choices in Gloucester. Excellent menu choices, popovers to die for, and great service every visit. I love the salads and quesadillas at lunch. The atmosphere is quaint, comfortable, quiet and always pleasant. This ihas been our "go to" place in Gloucester for many years for brunch, lunch or a dinner out with friends. Parking can be difficult, but definintely worth a little stroll from public lots. You will love this place.

Visited August 2012
“Pleasantly surprised”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I were looking for an interesting place for dinner when sudden rain forced us to chose quickly. We ducked in to the oddly named restaurant and I was a little put off by little details like a blah-looking rotary fan in the dining area, and a tv behind the bar. The place looked nice, but lacked attention-to-detail. The menu was a cute faux-passport, but the graphic design was poorly executed.

All this didn't matter when the food came out. The rolls where melt-in-your-mouth good, and the dishes were both ample and attractive. I had the Roquefort chicken which was creamy and delicious, and my wife had mango salmon which was too big for her to finish, but which she was more than happy to take home.

I should also mention that our server was very nice without being pushy.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere