“Nice Place, yummy food, fine presentation” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 185 Main St.
Description: You should have no problem finding Alchemy. It is a great restaurant.
Williamstown, MA
“Nice Place, yummy food, fine presentation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

The flat bread was a great starter and the flavor was quite good. The service was good too. The menu is a little pretentious which may put some people off, but I'm glad we pushed through. Nice combinations of flavor.

Visited March 2013

Swampscott MA
“Now This Is A Great Little Bistro”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

OK, I admit it, I hear the retail music in every store, but that's what clicked in my head when I walked into Alchemy - great downtempo grooves washing the room. The menu is adventurous for those who dare and dressedup pub fare for those who want to go "nice." Throw in original cocktails and you have a great Gloucester MA restaurant.

Visited December 2012
New Haven, Connecticut
“Great ambience, very good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

Very cool place, lots of different zones with different kinds of seating. Regular restaurant tables, a nice, classy bar area, and couches in a little lounge. The menu was amazing if you like tapas (I do!). Things weren't done perfectly - I had bacon wrapped dates and the bacon was not crispy. The pork belly tacos were great once I took out the incredibly hot peppers. The diver scallops were perfect, no complaint there. Overall, the service and ambiance were so good and the menu choices so fantastic, I'd definitely go back even though the food could use a few little improvements.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Beverly, Massachusetts
“Always worth the drive”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

On our most recent of many visits we enjoyed an early dinner at the bar. Alchemy always has a really inspired selection of craft beers on draft and as always the bartender was truly knowledgeable and helpful. The bar is a very friendly area with great conversation. The food is consistently excellent and creative from great small plates to delicious entrees.

Visited February 2013
boston
“Disappointing this time.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

We've been here before, enjoyed it immensely and therefore we booked for brunch to celebrate my birthday. It was very disappointing this time.

The service was slow and inattentive. Our waitress brought me coffee that had grounds in the cup and a cup of decaf for one of our companions that was cold. When she returned with another cup of coffee for me, it was in a small narrow mug, not the big round one she's served it in before. What's with that??!!

I had to ask the hostess if she could ask our waitress to take our order -- and the place was almost empty of customers! My husband and I ordered a Gloucester Benedict (made with lobster) and a mushroom salad with a quail egg to split. The lobster was watery and not fresh; the eggs and the benedict sauce were semi-warm and well on their way to being congealed. Ugh!

And once again, I had to ask the hostess to ask our waitress if we could order -- this time dessert. It was some kind of pudding with dates -- overly sweet and a very strange texture.

The menu is imaginative, but the execution simply did not live up to what we'd experienced previously. We'll give it another try sometime and I'll report in.

• Visited February 2013