“Great tour and the "Smoking Option" was a PLUS!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 25 Activities in Gloucester
More attraction details
Owner description: Whale Watching Tours Departing Daily for Stellwagen Bank National Marine Sanctuary.7 Seas Whale Watch has been leading Gloucester Ma whale watching tours for over 30 years. We're just a forty-five minute drive north of Boston, in the heart of historic downtown Gloucester, MA. Family owned and operated.Call for trip schedule and reservations,
Norton Shores, Michigan
11 attraction reviews
“Great tour and the "Smoking Option" was a PLUS!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

We thought the tour was not only informational, with the marine biologist and naturalist on board, but also very relaxing and accommodating to all of the passengers. To address the previous posting, on our tour, the smokers all congregated to the smoking section in the back of the boat and stayed there. To my knowledge no one was smoking on the upper deck or anywhere else. Our tour also boarded at 1:00 and didn't get back until 6:00, so we thought it was very nice to be able to smoke while 12 miles from land options ... after all, we were outside on a moving vessel, not in a restaurant, hotel, or school. I would rate this trip based on the amazing scenery, knowledgeable and friendly staff, and the fact that we saw 6 whales (including a mother and her calf) and two who were "slapping the water" with their fins rather than he occasionally whiff of smoke that drifted into the cabin from time to time. Lighten up and learn to share the space with everyone to enjoy the experience. This one was top-notch.

Visited September 2012
7seaswhalewatch, Manager at 7 Seas Whale Watch, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Dana Z,

Thank you for writing about your whale watch with us and I am very happy to hear you had such a great time. I remember this trip and it really was a good one!

I also want to thank you for noticing that the smoking issue is something we have gotten some negative feedback on recently and coming to our defense. As you mentioned in your review we ask that any passengers who wish to smoke while out on the water do so in the back of the boat, away from other passenger areas, and that they dispose of the cigarette's filter is an environmentally responsible way (in other words, not to throw it overboard). If someone is seen smoking elsewhere on the boat, we politely ask them to go to the stern or to extinguish the cigarette. To my knowledge, this is the same policy that every other whale watch boat has as well.

We do our best to meet the needs of all of our passengers and I believe that most of the time we succeed in doing just that. Thank you for your healthy perspective and for having such a positive attitude!

While I'm writing this review, I would also like to extend a sincere thank you to EVERYONE who took the time to write about their experience with us this year. The VAST majority of you wrote fantastic reviews that I think they capture the excitement of being on the water and seeing wild and endangered animals better than anything. We are thrilled that you had such a great time with us, we hope you made memories of good times spent with friends and family that will last a life time, and it truly was our pleasure to have all of you onboard.

Have a fantastic winter and we hope to see you again next year!

Best,

All of us at 7 Seas Whale Watch

Boston
“Smoking on the boat??? expensive, long & lousy sound system”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

As soon as the smoke drifted into the cabin of the boat, I knew what rating I would give this whale watch. It astounds me that Massachusetts bars cannot allow smoking but a whale watch boat can. At least with a bar, I can move far enough away that I don't have to deal with the smoke or I can choose to exit the establishment. Unfortunately, there aren't too many places you can go on a boat and you definitely cannot exit when you are 12 miles off the coast. They can say whatever they want about how smoking is 'limited' to an area. Tell that to the smoke that chooses to drift wherever the wind takes it. A gentleman also was smoking right next to my wife and kids on the upper deck.

The interior of the cabin was a lot more cramped than I thought it would be. Some of the passengers had their bags laying around and became extremely uptight if you happened to lose your balance on a swaying boat inadvertently stepping on them. Perhaps they shouldn't leave their bags laying around on the deck of a boat.

I thought the trip was 1-2 hours too long as well. Boarded at 1pm and didn't get back until close to 6pm. I would have preferred to have paid less and have the trip be a little shorter. I also looked forward to hearing the 'marine biologist' talk about the Gloucester area on the way out and the whales, but the sound system in the cabin didn't work as we couldn't hear anything. The information provided during the time we could hear also didn't meet my expectations for any useful insight either. I don't mind paying a premium for a premium product, but paying a premium for an average one is not worth it to me.

I was truly hoping this whale watch would match the accolades listed, but it was really only average as compared to other whale watches I have been on. Smoking on the boat drops it to a one especially as I feel sorry for the infant on board who had smoke drifting over to them. Sometimes when I read reviews like this in light of a bunch of positive ones, I question if the person has an ulterior motive. Yes, my ulterior motive is I don't want to be exposed to smoking when I have zero options to exit a place that allows it.

chatham, ny
“Excellent Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

The thing that stood out most from the many whale watches I’ve been on was the knowledge and experience of the narrator and delivered in a manner that was never overdone. Great job!

Obviously the quality of the experience depends a lot on the weather and the sightings but 7 Seas things that added value to our experience . . . the boat is clean and comfortable and fast enough to get you to the sighting area to max the watching time. , there is GPS screen showing the location of the boat; there is a senior citizen discount; the 150 max rule didn’t matter on our midweek September trip but I appreciate it as I’ve been on some that were packed; they didn’t rush us back as we had a interesting “flipper slapping” we encountered on return trip; and the galley actually has draft beer (3) including a local brew . . . what more can you ask – perfect!

If you go to their website or get their brochure pretty much everything they say is true.

Milwaukee
9 attraction reviews
“Fantastic experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

Was so valuable to have a marine biologist educate us about the animals and birds. Every experience is different, but we saw two types of whales and were very fortunate to see a humpback whale with her baby several times. I loved the fact that the ship is large enough to hold 300 but they only take a maximum of 149 - so there is plenty of room for all to see. The whale watch was a highlight of our trip.

tampa bay
“Absolutely stunning experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

We went to the whale watch as a family group of 7 adults on the Saturday of Labor Day weekend. The local tourist giveaway paper had coupons for $10 off per person, so we paid $254 for the 7 of us. Not cheap, but worth it. The trip leaves from Gloucester harbor which is very picturesque. It lasts about 4 hours. This is the North Atlantic so you have to be aware that it is likely to be quite choppy. We had 2 in our group prone to seasickness, One had no trouble and the other felt better sitting outside on the trip back. No one took dramamine,

We learned to spot the "blows", condensed air from the blowholes, which indicate the presence of whales, that each whale has a distinctive tail between all white and all black and that these patterns are as distinctive as fingerprints,. In all, we saw 11 whales, so close up. We stayed with them for quite a bit of time watching them dive and resurface.

There is a naturalist narrating the tour, naming the whales as she sees their tails and filling our heads with all sorts of whale trivia. We rode on the lower deck and had great views, Most of us rode back inside where there are tables in big booths. When you return from the trip, there are many really good restaurants nearby, on the water and in the town.