“Highly Recommended!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #11 of 111 Restaurants in Gloucester
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Contemporary
Good for: Bar scene, Special occasions, Romantic, Entertaining clients, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Waltham, Massachusetts
“Highly Recommended!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

My brother-in-law and wife live in Gloucester and last weekend my wife and I went to visit. They took us out to the Franklin, which they said they dine at pretty frequently. It was a Friday night and when walking in it seemed like restaurant of preference that evening in Gloucester. We were greeted by a young lady at the hostess stand and were seated right away even though we were a few minutes early. We were handed menus and were surprised by a sushi menu which was not mentioned by my brother-in-law, apparently a new option offered at the restaurant. I was quite happy because I am a big fan of sushi and love trying it from different locations. My wife and I split the "Chef's Choice" sushi roll along with the lobster dumplings for appetizers, both were amazing! The sushi may have been one of the best I have ever tried and the dumplings were so flavorful. My brother-in-law got a salad for his appetizer which I tried and that was also very tasty. For my entree I got the hanger steak and my wife ordered the cod, both of us were very pleased with our choices. The drinks were also very good as well. I ordered a "Black Jack" because I am a big whiskey guy and was shocked at how refreshing the beverage was. The service was great. Our server, named Joe, was very polite and funny making the experience that much better. One thing I know for sure is whenever I am going to be in the Gloucester area I know where I will be going for dinner!

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Arlington, Massachusetts
“Great recommendation... ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

Visited the Franklin on a busy Saturday night recommended by a co worker - hostess let us know there would be a short wait we put our names in and enjoyed a cocktail at the upstairs cozy bar was seated quickly and enjoyed a great meal started with a tasty tuna and avocado sushi roll followed with haddock that was cooked to perfection not to mention the delicious brussels sprouts we got as a side.... If by chance your in the Gloucester area pay the Franklin a visit!

Worth the wait we will return!!

O Fallon, IL
“Blah”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

Huge disappointment! "Spicy" shrimp scampi not spicy at all. Asked for light lemon in scampi and it had a lot of lemon flavor. My expensive fluke meal was supposed to be pan seared and it tasted like it had been broiled. Not much flavor either. Mashed potatoes were a lumpy mush. We did eat our meals, but expressed our concerns. Too many good restaurant choices in Gloucester, so don't waste your time or money at the Franklin!

• Visited December 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Adelaide, Australia
“Good and Bad”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

We called in on a Monday night, asked for a gluten free menu, which was promptly provided, also the wine list. Being patriarchal Aussies, we tried the "Frisk" Riesling, which is sooo unlike an Australian Riesling, please avoid, it's far too sweet. Much better to go with the NZ Sauvignon Blanc, Loveblock, a little fruity, but very well balanced. We selected the salmon from the gluten free menu, it was well cooked, the spinach a little salty, but delicious all the same. Unfortunately the linguine with scampi was over cooked, however they did credit us back with the cost. The service was excellent!

Casablanca, Morocco
“Great Surprise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

First, its a very attractive well designed and (casually) comfortable space. The service was pretty much impeccable - despite a bit of a wait (the place was full) for our entrees, wich the server kept us well apprised of. I had Hanger steak, hard to find beyond the sophisticated urban districts, perfectly broiled, wonderfully and not overly sauced. My companion, a vegetarian, found a decent selection and enjoyed both appetizer (we recommend the matchstick zucchini to anyone) and entree enormously. No "knee jerk hip" formulae (overdressed salad with oversweet balsamic, garlic-mashed with every other entree). But real recipes cooked with attention. Loved it. Get a reservatiion around the weekend.

• Visited October 2012