“Watch your change” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Bakeries
Gloucester, Massachusetts, United States
“Watch your change”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

I have been going to this donut and bake shop infrequently over the years. Their baked goods are excellent; especially, the lobster tails and the coconut donuts. However, in my last three visits, something strange is going on. When paying for my order, I feel like I am playing three card monte. The first incident is when I handed them a $20. There was a delay in cashing it out, since they lacked the necessary $1 bills. After moving around between two registers, they made change, but the attitude of the counter help during the process was not friendly. The second incident, I presented them with a credit card. My $9.40 purchased was entered into the credit card approval for $34.90. They would not process the credit, but gave me the cash difference. The most recent incident involved cash again. After my recent credit card experience, I decided it would be better to use cash. A mistake. After ringing up the order, they again played with the cash between and envelope near the register and the second register. Once they had my change of $11.10 they gave me $11. No big deal right. What's a dime. Beyond the principle, just image over the course of a week with hundreds of customers, what this could total. Bottom line, the food is good, but watch your change. It had left and uncomfortable feeling and I will not longer frequent this local merchant. I like to support local business, but this will be definitely an exception to my rule.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Good food, but poor service and not very clean.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

I went into Jim's Bagel this summer because I was told by a former employee they have the best bagels in town. They did deliver. I got a honey cinnamon bagel with plain cream cheese and a 1/2 dozen canolis to go. It was delicious. How ever, the service was slow, the woman who waited on me, barely spoke any English, so when she couldn't understand me, an older woman began to help me, with a serious attitude. The place wasnt very cleanly, but the food really did exceed my expectations.

• Visited July 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Hartford, Connecticut, United States
“Delicious food at a reasonable price!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

What a bakery! Delicious donuts, bagels and cream cheese. I haven't tried the sweets, but the cakes and cupcakes look amazing. The prices are really low, and the staff is warm and friendly. I love how you can watch them bake while you enjoy your food!

Visited April 2013
Gloucester, Massachusetts
“Great Bagel Selection!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

I love Jim's! They have the best, freshest and most varied bagels on Cape Ann without a doubt. I went there last Friday and picked up some blueberry, Asiago, wheat cinnamon and spinach bagels. Most were warm as they were freshly made. They offer a variety of home-made spreads. I like the tomato spread with fresh chunks of tomato. Those are a little pricy though. The bagels are a great price. They have tons of doughnuts and an incredible assortment of baked goodies. You can even order pies. I always get an iced coffee. My favorite flavor is snicker doodle. You do have a bit of a wait sometimes since they are super popular. I went around 8:30 last time and didn't wait long at all, but they were low on some bagel flavors. Nice people working behind the counter who are always patient with indecisive folks.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Essex, Massachusetts
“Decent baked goods but, Super Sloooow service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

Located right across from the Gloucester train station, Jim's Bagel offers some decent fresh bagels (sadly no egg bagels) & delicious donuts, excellent cakes & other freshly baked goods, a variety of freshly brewed coffees, yummy cream cheese blends, & some decent sandwiches
(all of which we've had).

Service is Super S-L-O-OOO-W & they sometimes make blatant mistakes w/the orders, especially at their drive-thru. It's very frustrating! Check dates on refrigerated items. "Donut Jim", the owner, is a great guy. There's an area to sit (booths or counter), read the paper or a swapped book, watch tv & Jim decorate those wonderful custom cakes of his. Place could be cleaner!

There's plenty of parking either on the street out front or in their parking lot (you'll have to drive around the block, as with their drive-thru).

• Visited September 2012