“Best Bed and Breakfast we have ever stayed at” 5 of 5 stars

The Castle Manor Inn
141 Essex Avenue, Gloucester, MA 01930 (Formerly The Manor Inn)   |
Ranked #5 of 20 Gloucester B&B and Inns
Newtown, connecticut
“Best Bed and Breakfast we have ever stayed at”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

This place is a find. We recommend the Daring Adventure room where we stayed. Great view, comfortable bed. The cozy bar was fun. The food was spectacular. We ordered their stuffed haddock dish and were not disappointed. Their breakfasts are also different and spectacular. I had their Bohemian breakfast which consisted of poached eggs on red cabbage with homemade sausage. Beautiful setting. They appear to cater to weddings and other affairs. Looks like they would be special.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Stoke-on-Trent, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Stayed here after a 10 hour plane and 7 hour car journey. We were recieved in the evening and the management were exceptionally friendly and treated us very very well... much needed after all the travelling. We purchased a pizza en route and they even supplied us with plates etc to take to the room.

The room was great and the morning they helped us book a Whale watch.

The breakfast was spectacular. I would take the journey again just for the breakfast.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Belmont, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

We used a Groupon deal to spend two nights at this inn. When we first entered the main house, we were frankly surprised at how beautifully it had been renovated and maintained. Our third floor room was excellent, with three windows that looked out on the Annisquam River. We ate at the restaurant three times, and were impressed by the food. The mussel starter was a highlight. Cooked in a tomato/sausage broth, it was probably the best we've ever tasted. Staff was friendly and helpful. We could not have asked for a better stay and highly recommend the Castle Manor Inn.

Room Tip: There are two turrets, so any room in a turret will have plenty of rounded windows. Any room in the...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
fishkill,ny
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

Stayed 2 nights in the main Inn on the third floor where the servants lived "back in the day"! The rooms were spartan, but clean. Staff very helpful, food really delicious and the Groupon deal made it all very economical. Glad I didn't pay full price...........

Room Tip: The 3rd floor is a mini hike!
Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
ridge
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

I made reservations five months in advance for a wedding and was told they would tell us which room we would be in later.They took our credit card info.Eight weeks later I call for a conformation and the owner snapped at me that she had thirty people in the dining room(10:30 am) and to call back.I was told I would be in the east wing motel type #7.When I checked in they didn't have me in the computer. Finally after about ten minutes the owner I was told I would be in the west wing #1. She told someone to tell her son to move out.We walked into a room heavily perfumed glad plug ins with a fan and dehumidifyer going.The room was very much in need of a overhaul.They must allow pets as the poo bucket and complimentarey poo bags were outside our door.My sister was in the room next to where we were supposed to be and her room was nice. I left very early and we both said we'd prefer to shower at home.When we got home there was a message on our phone from two days ago asking us to confirm or did we want to cancel as we were somewhere north the day before we didn't get the call.That afternoon I got a call saying I didn't check out and didn't pay.Normally check in is they either have your card or they get it before you are given a key.They acted like it was my fault.That will be my last time there.

Room Tip: It seems ther are some very nice places to stay close by.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

Stayed here with a Groupon coupon for 2 nights as a girl’s getaway. We stayed in the 2 room family suite in the main Inn. The rooms were nicely remodeled and clean. The manor itself has been beautifully restored. There is a nice outdoor dining area. We had dinner and breakfast and the meals were delicious! The owners couldn't have been nicer and the staff was helpful with anything we needed. I would love to come back and stay for a longer visit. The only minor recommendations I could suggest -it would be nice to have a blow dryer and iron in the room.

Thanks for a wonderful stay!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Marblehead
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

I was most pleased with a recent stay. Mansion has been lovingly restored & is tastefully furnished ...Very clean.......... some beautiful views from various rooms. My favorite spot was the wrap around porch on which to enjoy tea, drinks or breakfast. There were gorgeous flowers @ many spots on the main floor & porch.....adds to the elegant feel.....The meals @ the inn are reasonably priced,especially given the quality of the food & presentation. At one breakfast, however, my bacon was very overcooked......given the overall excellence, the chef should not have sent this out! Every person I met on staff was appropriately friendly & quite attentive. If you yearn for a quiet, relaxed vacation in a beautiful area like Cape Ann enjoying a homey but rather grand setting.....Castle Manor Inn will not disappoint but rather captivate & envelop you into the lovely, quieting & serene location & ambiance.

Room Tip: Be sure to look @ the pictures, decide about view choice, & of 2nd or 3rd floor/no elevator.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Been to The Castle Manor Inn? Share your experiences!