“Fishing trip” 4 of 5 stars

800-942-5464
Improve this listing
Ranked #14 of 25 Activities in Gloucester
More attraction details
Owner description: Celebrating over 60 years of ocean adventures! Most experienced charter company on Cape Ann, pioneering whale watching & deep sea fishing excursions.Sightings guaranteed! Nature based tours, narrated bird watching and whale watching trips. Half day, All day and Overnight Seafaris. Full bait, tackle and gift shop. Educational exhibits: Great Fun for all ages!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
West Chester, PA
44 attraction reviews
“Fishing trip”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

My husband took two grandsons on afternoon excursion. Unfortunately they didn't catch anything to bring home. They said staff friendly and they went quite far out into the ocean. One boy caught a small halibut and the other a dog fish. The boys said it was a great time. Beware they charge for refreshments, plastic bags and remind you often to TIP. Perhaps they should pay staff better.

Visited August 2013

Massachusetts
3 attraction reviews
“If You Like Cod for $165 pound...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

....this is the trip for you (wink). This is our second time deep sea fishing with Yankee Fleet in about five years. The boat is fine, the staff is fine....but WHERE ARE THE FISH?! Both time we've gone (husband and two children), we have caught an abundance of dogfish (little sharks?) that are not kept. Both times only one member of our family actually caught something you can keep. Both times it wasn't even enough to make a family dinner. One thing that definitely contributes to this is that they obviously overbook the trips so that you are fishing too close to other people and ending up with lines getting caught. It takes time to untangle, time to move to new spots for fishing (to get away from dogfish OR to find a place with actual fish) so that the actual time with your hook in the water (on a half day tour) is less than an hour. Though we had fun, the lack of actual fish to take home is a disappointment.

Visited July 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
“Terrible display of animal cruelty!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

Yankee Fleet has always been my first choice for whale watching on the North Shore. So when my children and out of town family asked to go deep sea fishing, I didn't hesitate to book a trip with them. Our experience was absolutely appalling! The crew on board was incredibly rude and made my son feel like he was an idiot for not knowing how to operate the rod and reel. At first the catch was mostly juvenile fish which the crew made a point of handling extensively and then laughed when they threw them back and almost all died right there on the surface of the water. As the afternoon went on, many dogfish were being caught. My cousin caught a large dogfish that couldn't be knocked off of the line so a crewman had to bring it on board and remove the hook. He then asked us if we would like to feel it's skin because it felt like sandpaper. When my cousin hesitated he took the dogfish, bent it in half and started rubbing the poor creature as hard and fast as he could on the rail of the boat. We were horrified and asked him to stop, but he refused laughing as he continued with this behavior until blood started pouring from the fish's gills. Then he just tossed the poor animal back into the water leaving a huge puddle of blood on the deck of the boat. My children were totally traumatized! I am absolutely horrified that Yankee Fleet has fallen to this level. I will never return and I urge anyone who reads this to look elsewhere for deep sea fishing charters. There are many in the area. Oh, I forgot to mention that while they were killing almost every fish they touched, the crew was also smoking. A truly awful experience!!

Visited August 2013
6 attraction reviews
“Great Captain - no fish!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We went out on the first all day charter of 2013. The weather was cold, but a day on the water is always fun. Captain Pete made this a great trip for our family. He took my son, age 12, and showed him how all the instruments on the bridge work, and answered all of the questions he could think of! This really helped keep him busy, as we couldn't find a haddock anywhere (although we did catch many cod that had to be thrown back as they were not in season, and many small red fish that some people brought home).

However, I have 2 complaints about this company:
1. Tell all the charges in advance/include them all in the price. Extra dollars here and there for bags, towels, etc are fine (well not really, but I understand they have a cost), but get it all from me at one time when I book with you.
2. When we boarded, 30 minutes early as suggested, the boat was already full and we couldn't find three spots in a row open to put our poles down. Apparently they have a policy that you can reserve in advance (the day prior) the spot you want to fish on the boat. Or you can get there like 2 hours early to get a choice spot. Now we don't really care about a particular spot, but would have liked to have our entire family near each other when fishing. Seems like all the regulars knew of this policy, but I was not told anything about it when making my reservation over the phone.

I will say it one more time, Captain Pete was awesome!

Visited March 2013
Omaha, Nebraska
13 attraction reviews
“Crew was great, but fish weren't biting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

My son and I went on a morning excursion. It was fun and the crew was super friendly and helpful (except for the sea witch at the snack counter). Unfortunately the fish weren't biting, with just a few caught on the whole boat. It felt like we spent a lot of time motoring to different spots and not that much with our lines in the water, but I know they were working to get us on some fish. If we went back I would be willing to give it another try. We had fun and it was very reasonably priced.