“"Peaceful and friendly home"” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Colonial Inn Gloucester

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Gloucester
The Colonial Inn Gloucester
You added The Colonial Inn Gloucester to your Saves list
28 Eastern Point Rd, Gloucester, MA 01930   |
Ranked #7 of 20 Gloucester B&B and Inns
Orland Park, Illinois
“"Peaceful and friendly home"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

We just returned from a week at the Colonial Inn. We had never stayed at a B&B in the past so I wasn't sure what to expect. The Inn is an old sea captain's house with a great deal of charm -- nothing fancy but very comfortable. Our room was large with three beds, bath, small refrigerator, a non-working but pretty fireplace, and cable TV. It was very clean and quiet and we had plenty of privacy and a lovely partial view of the sea. There was lots of parking and a large front porch with chairs. It was within walking distance of a small beach and the Rocky Neck Art Colony and a short drive into the main town of Gloucester itself.

Above all, however, I want to thank our hosts Tom and Mike (and Linda, too) for their genuine friendliness, concern and kindness. They truly made this place a home away from home and went out of their way to be helpful and answer all of our questions. Thanks again guys!

If you are looking for someplace peaceful, warm and welcoming look no further.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2012

We loved the Colonial Inn, the owner Tom is very friendly and helpful. The Inn is close to everything yet very quiet.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Merrimack, New Hampshire, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2011

I have to say that we had a wonderful experience staying at the Colonial Inn. The room was very clean and comfortable. It was close to all the local restaurants, attractions and shopping. Tom, our host was very helpful in recommending places to see and eat. We look forward to returning again!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Stirling, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2011 via mobile

Okay we arrived later than we intended but a scribbled note indicating that ours was room 7 was not exactly a warm welcome!
Hey! Once upon a time this was probably a smart establishment but time is hard taskmaster and the whole place is looking very very tired. Either throw some serious money at it or decide that you've had your days of B & B and move on to pastures new.
Can I say that the pictures on the website reflect the Colonial in it's hey day. As I said "Once upon a time ........................"

• Stayed September 2011
Winston Salem, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011

I have been traveling to Gloucester, MA for the past 13 years and have stayed at many of the hotels and inns in the area. I stayed at the Colonial Inn for the first time during my most recent trip in July. I loved the big old colonial house. I found the innkeeper to be friendly and helpful. It was SO quiet and peaceful. I had a room on the second floor and could sleep with my windows open and enjoy the fresh night air which is something I rarely get to do at my home in the south. My room was clean and comfortable and the housekeeper made sure to tidy up every day. Having spent a number of years traveling with my job and staying at the well known hotel chains, I now look for places like this instead. I much prefer the charm, relaxed homelike atmosphere and personable innkeepers of places like the Colonial Inn whenever I can find them. I will defintely stay at the Colonial Inn again on a future trip to Gloucester.

Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Bengaluru (Bangalore), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

This was meant to be a quick overnight stopover on our drive from New York to Acadia. We got there pretty late – around 10pm – and left fairly early next morning. So we were there for a short 12 hours or so but had a nice experience overall.
The host is really friendly (we met him the next morning) and there were other guests checked in for the whole Labor Day weekend. Breakfast was a tad disappointing – guess we were expecting a bigger spread - but not a deal breaker.
Another drawback (specific to our room, I think) – was there was no door to the restroom, which looked out into a hallway leading to the room door – so if one person is using the toilet, you are either locked in the bedroom, or locked out of the room until the other person finishes their business. Strange but manageable.
And, because we got in so late, we ended up driving a lot around town looking for a restaurant which had its kitchen open – so we know there are PLENTY of bars and restaurants around town. We managed to find a really nice place – The Franklin Cafe – with good food and great wine.
Cape Ann itself is gorgeous and would recommend it as a stopover for anyone driving north. It’s a little bit of a detour from I-95 but the effort is worth it.

Room Tip: Even if you're there for a rest stop, make sure you drive around the bay. The views of the water...