“Great location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Inn Magnolia

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Gloucester
Inn Magnolia
18 Norman Avenue, Gloucester, MA 01930   |
Ranked #14 of 20 Gloucester B&B and Inns
Wilmington, Vermont
“Great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

We stayed in one of the rooms in the main house. The room was pleasant, large, clean, and comfortable. Amanda was an excellent host, pleasant, and friendly.
The inn is located in the quiet village of Magnolia, within walking distance of Kettle Cove, a little pier, and some great ocean views. The Hammond Castle Museum is just a short drive away, and Gloucester proper is just a mile or two away.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the rooms in the main house

81 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Seattle, Washington, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

I chose this inn for its location -- I lived in Somerville nearly 20 years ago, and at every opportunity I'd drive out to Cape Anne, eventually discovering the peaceful, truly gorgeous town of Magnolia, with its own little cove and pier.
Turns out, Magnolia is just as magical as I remembered, and the Inn is fully worthy of its location. Innkeeper Amanda is welcoming, generous, and fun to talk to. I had a spacious, elegant room, plus access to a gorgeous downstairs area with at least two living rooms, a library, and a window seat. If I get a chance to come back to New England, I will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
New Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

We loved the quiet location of the Inn Magnolia with its giant trees and gorgeous rhododendrons. Eager for a walk after check-in, we couldn't have been happier with the innkeeper's suggestions. We found the local beach and a nature trail adjacent to it which led to the site of a former estate with breathtaking views of the ocean. Once back at the inn, we enjoyed the hammocks on the porch and found the innkeeper's suggestions for dinner very helpful. The sitting area in our room was relaxing and the bed was very comfortable. Coffee was ready early the next morning in a convenient beverage area close to our room. If you want an unassuming, comfortable, relaxing, and affordable place to stay, this inn is a good choice.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a sitting area.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012 via mobile

I have been staying at the Inn Magnolia, and before that, when it was the White House, for many years. I don't usually write reviews, but Amanda, the owner, mentioned she had gotten some poor ones so I wanted to add my own. First of all, the place has vastly improved since she took over several years ago. It is cleaner, friendlier, less country-kitsch, and more artistic. I have found her extremely easy to deal with. She is not a helicopter-innkeeper (doesn't hover), but is friendly, helpful, and accommodating. She also knows a lot about Gloucester and is great about letting her guests know what is going on and the best ways and times to go places. That being said, I have seen her deal with difficult guests. I think she feels there are times she has to put her foot down. I was there when there was a noisy wedding party late at night. When she had to ask them to be quiet for the second time late at night, she was NOT nice about it. I, for one, appreciated it. I stay here because it is quiet and comfortable and I like the old-fashioned feel of it. I feel Amanda keeps the place in order.

• Stayed May 2012
Akron, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2012

I cannot even speak of the hotel- I could not make it past the booking phase with the owner of Inn Magnolia. I had read reviews saying she was unreasonable if questioned, and thought that maybe the guests were being irrational. I guess the guests that had problems with the owner weren't all that unreasonable.

When you book a room, the form requires you to put in which exact rooms you would like. I liked the Acorn room, and really didn't like any other rooms. I did pick a second, because the form required me to do this. The Acorn room was showing as "available" when I searched.

The confirmation the owner sent me stated: "Hello! Your reservation at Inn Magnolia for arrival on October 24th and departure on October 28th is confirmed. You will have a room with a double bed and shared bath" along with other terms. I thought this was strange; I had to pick a room on the reservation request form, and I was not given a specific room.

My reply was: "Thank you for your confirmation. I was just wondering (because I didn't see it in the email) if I was in the Acorn room or the other one I asked for. I'd like to show my partner the website- I think he'll like where I picked to stay- but I'd like to show him the specific room we're in.
Thank you again!"

Pretty innocent, right? I'm not asking for the world here, just a specific room because I had to pick one on her reservation form, and I was curious.

And the owner replied: "I don't guarantee a particular room; I guarantee a type of room, that's why I just described it instead of using the name. You will definitely get your first or second choice tho'; either the Acorn Room or Jon's Room, most likely the Acorn Room."

That didn't set well with me. I also showed the email to my partner, who felt this was a bit weird; why ask us what room we wanted on the reservation request form when we can't receive a confirmation for that particular room. I mean, what was she waiting for? Someone to come along with more money to request the room? To see which guest gets there first? I do not understand her logic with this; every other B&B, cabin- pretty much anything that isn't a hotel- that has specific rooms listed on its site and asks for which room the guest would like will tell the guest at the time of booking if the room is available, and if it is available, books the guest for the price listed or quoted. The more we both thought about this, the more uncomfortable it made us feel. Was she going to be vindictive (as based upon reviews we'd read) because I asked a question? It made me really nervous, especially because vacations should be relaxing and we shouldn't have to worry about offending the person we're paying money to stay in their lodging.

I have stayed at other B&B's where I didn't care which room, and at that point would just tell the owner to pick a room. But I did not like the decor in the other rooms at Inn Magnolia; they were far too busy. Maybe some people like that, but not me. And again, if the reservation form asks for the requester to pick specific rooms, the requester generally expects to see the name of the requested room on the confirmation.

My partner & I agreed we'd look at different vacations. We looked at more in the Salem area, and then he came up with the idea of going to Universal Studios. We found a great deal for the parks and booked a trip to Florida instead. I wrote to the owner of Inn Magnolia to let her know we were canceling.

"I discussed this with my partner, and both of us are uncomfortable not being able to reserve a specific room at a B&B. If it was a hotel, we could understand not knowing the exact room number, but every other B&B we've ever stayed at has let us pick from available rooms and reserve a specific room. We then did a bit of searching online, and found some great deals for Orlando, so we decided to go to Orlando instead.
I would like to cancel our reservation.
Thank you for understanding."

All I wanted was an "Ok" or "Thank you for letting me know so I can rent this room to someone else".

But this is the response I received:
"That's transparent; I told you you would have your first or second choice and most likely your first, but if what you want is to go to Orlando, feel free to go to Orlando."

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I thought that in the service business, the customer was always right? It shouldn't matter what reason I gave her, I canceled in May; I was staying in October so she had more than enough time to re-rent a room, I was not rude to her (my emails are included in this review in their entirety, the only edits I did to hers was leaving out the prices/taxes/check in and out times), and I was not going to say anything about the odd reservation policy until she sent me that snarky reply to canceling my reservation.

And yes, if she reads this, I will be MUCH more relaxed in Orlando rather than wondering if I'm going to offend the hostess at the B&B I'm staying at.

Room Tip: Doesn't matter. She won't let you pick (even though her reservation form requires you to pic...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Gloucester hotels

Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2012

My husband and I stayed overnight at Inn Magnolia. We were greeted warmly and left to stroll the property, play banjo on the porch, or chat with Amanda and other guests. Though our stay was brief, I can't think of any reason not to recommend this lovely New England Inn, a little tucked away, but we liked that, too. Our room was spotless, towels were plentiful, and the room was very cozy overall. We would definitely look forward to staying at Inn Magnolia in the future!
One other thing, breakfast was great! Yogurt, fresh berries and other fruite, cereal, granola, muffins, coffee, juice, etc. Lovely, through and through.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Danvers, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2012

I couldn't resist a deal I found online from the Living Social website and I, therefore, booked a weekend away last weekend. It was a gorgeous bed & breakfast that we came upon! I can't comment on the breakfast because with the Living Social deal we did not receive a hot breakfast. That was fine, but I very much look forward to a nice hot breakfast in the morning. So, we didn't partake on the breakfast there either of the days we were there. However, I can say that it was very beautifully furnished in the seating area and dining area, and there was a spot to have coffee and/or tea that you were welcome to make for yourself in the morning before breakfast, which is always a nice feature! The room we received was nicely furnished, clean and neat, with plenty of towels, soap, shampoo & conditioner, etc. I wish there was already a hair dryer in the room, but they did say I could have received one if I called ahead.

Room Tip: Bring your own hair dryer with you. Use a GPS and you will be fine.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
InnMagnolia, Owner at Inn Magnolia, responded to this review, April 6, 2012
Thank you Heidi! Very kind of you to write us a review! I just want to make one little correction if you don't mind: we do have hair dryers -- you just need to ask for them. You don't have to arrange for them in advance. And please don't feel that the discount excluded you from anything -- we don't serve hot breakfast at all -- we don't have a license to do that. Many of our guests do find that the continental breakfast we serve is quite substantial, enough to skip hot breakfast, but I admit, I understand -- I am a fan of big hot breakfasts myself. Maybe someday... Thanks again.

Been to Inn Magnolia? Share your experiences!