“A tent would be better” 1 of 5 stars

Captains Lodge Motel
237 Eastern Ave, Gloucester, MA 01930   |
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Gloucester
New York City, New York
“A tent would be better”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

What a dump!! The bathroom door had holes in it as did the bedspread. It smelled of disinfectant. The owner/manager acted as if it was a big deal to give us an extra towel for the pool. The pool furniture was all broken and torn. We expected breakfast but got Dunkin Donuts and coffee. It was dreary and poorly lit.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Woburn, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

I have stayed here three times this summer for a weekend get away and have enjoyed myself each time. Komal, the owner, has been wonderful and has always accomodated our request for a non- smoking room. The pool is clean and the rooms are spacious. We used to stay down the street at The Vista, but prefer to stay here because of Komal's hospitality.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Gloucester, Massachusetts, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

My wife and I visit the Captain's Lodge year round as a quiet getaway from the stress of daily life. The atmosphere is clean, quiet, and relaxing. The manager Komal has always gone out of her way to make sure our needs were met. I would definitely recommend the Captains Lodge for a nice relaxing get away,

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Gulfport, FL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

First of all when I checked into the motel the desk clerk tried charging me more than what I was quoted on the initial reservation. I showed him the price I was given and the confirmation number. He told me there was nothing he could do, I told him, ywe there was, call the Manager that gave me that price. After a brief phone conversation the Manager told the clerk to give the price I was quoted.
So after that fiascal, I open the door to my room and I was disgusted by what I saw. Bare worn (I think red) carpet, old furniture, and a large old tv bolted to the desk. I checked for bed bugs, but didn't see any. The entire town was booked that weekend, so I was stuck. I did end up with a rash on my ankles a couple days later.. coinsidence? I think not. This motel was probably nice 40 years ago, but needs major improvements now.

Room Tip: Check out reviews, and pay a little extra for a better place.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Rockport, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

My husband, our Basset Hound & I stayed at Captain's Lodge July & August and liked the whole stay there. We stayed there last year for the same amount of time and all of the staff was great. We really don't like to be catered to and prefer being alone. We had an effeciency with fridge, stove and microwave & everything worked properly. I have no complaints at all. The pool is nice and clean and we could open the front & back doors to get a good breeze.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2011 via mobile

Excellent location. Quiet clean rooms. Great service. Will stay here again next year on my vacation

• Stayed August 2011
Forest Hills, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2011

Friends booked this motel for a group whale watching, kayaking weekend. I had read the reviews prior to our stay, thanks to tripadvisor, I was prepared and not surprised.
First the positive: Warm, clean, welcoming pool in a sunny location. Pet friendly. Two minute drive to town. Can walk to Dunkin Donuts, grocery store. Air-conditioner worked great. Rooms have a front door and a back door for cross ventilation that really came in handy for the negative issues: Very musty rooms. Room smelled of mold and tobacco. If you are a smoker, it may be worth requesting a non-smoking room and smoke outside. We do not smoke and there were no non-smoking rooms available. We had all the sheets, blankets and comforter changed, aired out the room and it helped a little. The motel kept running out of towels and no towels are provided pool side. One morning a had to use my hand towel to dry off. Our friends room was not cleaned for two days and they were not given any clean towels. This occurred the second day even after we reported this to the owner the first day the room was not cleaned. The mattress was old and slanted to the middle. The entire motel needs an overhaul, new everything is needed.
Amenities are basic. TV, air-conditioner, bed. No blow drier, no iron, no closet or hooks to hang clothing. Some rooms had frig. and microwave but friend said the microwave did not work.The on-site coffee shop was closed and no tea or coffee is offered by the front desk. Sadly I cannot recommend this motel.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Captains Lodge Motel? Share your experiences!