“Very Happy” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Italian, Seafood
gloucester, ma
“Very Happy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

I had a few friends try out the Topside Grill and they loved it, so I figured why not?! And I was NOT disappointed. First off the food was terrific. I started with a fried clam appetizer, which was so sweet, and not gritty like some clams I have encountered before. Then, per recommendation of the bartender, I had the reuben, and again not disappointed. It was full of meat and very filling. The desert tray was brought to my table, and I wish I had room. There were so many delicious things calling my name, definately going back to try out the lemon cake and their homemade chocolate mousse.
The service was great. They were attentive and very knowledgeable about any questions I had. Management walked around checking to make sure everyone was happy, which you don't see much any more. They seemed very proud of their restaurant and staff. I felt welcome and like I was a regular even though I had never been their before. Definately worth going again. I will be back soon :)

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Woodbury, Connecticut
“When seafood is the only thing ...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

We came to Gloucester from Connecticut last Friday evening to participate in a community event, and it's tough to descend into Cape Ann without feeling the urge for a fish dinner. We asked the hostess at our motel (Vista) for recommendations and she gave us several, but Topside was at the top of the list.
It was after 8 p.m., so the pleasant young woman who answered the phone said there was no need to make a reservation, and there was plenty of room for two. Parking was easy on the street, and the warm atmosphere immediately spoke "seafood". Our booth was comfortable, and we were served by the same woman I'd spoken with on the phone. She was delightful, engaging and professional, as well as attentive.
My wife is a lobstah lovah who grew up on the south shore, so she went right for the claws and tails. She's also one of those who sucks every juicy shred of meat from every shelly cravass. I went for the "Topside Sampler" plate, which was a substantial collection of gifts from the sea. Both of our suppers were exquisite and prepared with obvious pride, and the price of the meal was well worth it. We each had a Bombay Saphire martini (then we shared one), and leaving a 20% tip, we were out of there for just over $100.
We love to try new resaurants whenever we're in a place we don't often go, but we'll be hard pressed not to go Topside when we're up on Cape Ann again!

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
“A pleasant surprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

We got into Gloucester late last Monday and were hungry and trying to find a place open on Monday night and that appealed to all 5 of us was hard. We stopped in here and everyone loved their meals. The waiter was great with catering to my gluten sensitivity and those had to be the best scallops I have ever had! We will certainly go there again.

Visited October 2012
Annapolis
“Lovely relaxed lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

We ended up at the Topside for a late lunch after our Whale Watch tour turned back due to rough seas. We came in through the side entrance which takes you into the bar. The bartender asked if we wanted the dining room, but the bar area was so attractive and quiet we just took a window seat there.

We had a beer and a hard cider for $6 each and then decided on two of the specials ($13) for lunch, both with haddock. The bartender does double duty but service was good and the fish was terrific. We were very happy with this find and definitely recommend it.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Saratoga Springs, New York
“Good Food and Drink”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

Topside is right in downtown Gloucester. I had an excellent tropical martini and we shared a very good chowder. My baked halibut, with asparagus and rice was excellent and hubby had broiled scallops which he rated average. Service was a little ditzy but more than adequate.

• Visited October 2012