“Great Place for One Night Stay to Visit Family” 5 of 5 stars

Colonial Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   625 Betty Spring Road, Gardner, MA 01440   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Gardner
Hanover, New Hampshire
“Great Place for One Night Stay to Visit Family”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

My granddaughter graduated from high school nearby and I live 3+ hours north in NH.
I stayed one night; rates are great, hotel was clean, front desk was extremely helpful. The in house restaurant/bar was a great surprise. The food was excellent, there was a band and a high school reunion, so was a bit noisy, but to be expected. Service was a little slow due to the large crowd for the reunion. Menu had a huge selection; salad bar and good drinks.
Only drawback was I was on the first floor off the lobby. The noise was pretty much constant all night. It was also raining heavily and I could hear the noise from the rain in the parking lot outside my window. Will definitely stay here when I visit my daughter in the future, but will request an upper floor room.

Room Tip: Request upper floor room.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

this place was awesome! we were just passing through and looking for a place for the night and when we seen it we thought it was going to be way pricy. the clerk was super and the room rate was one of the lowest of our entire vacation the room was spacious and very comfortable. we felt like we had got a free upgrade to first class. the next morning the breakfast was fantastic and even better it was free. I would stay here again a hundred times if I was ever back in that part of the country again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Gurnee, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2012

I immediately noticed the lack of art on the walls, which shouldn't be an issue because hotel art is usually nothing spectacular anyway, but everything in the rooms was blah. There was not real attractive features in the room I had.

I bought some pastries and put them in the fridge when I got to my room. The next morning, my pastries were warm in the fridge. When I told the front desk my fridge wasn't working, the attendant said, "it's not so much a fridge, as it is a cooler. You have to put ice from the ice machine in there to keep things cool." Really? It was plugged in and everything, just didn't DO anything. For 10 bucks a night or 25 bucks a week I could have had a REAL fridge put in my room.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2012

We visited this hotel for several nights recently to attend the wedding of a family member. Hotel policy includes breakfast for two people per room, per night. I paid for two rooms for five nights. One for my wife and I and one for my two children (that equals 4 included breakfasts, right?). What they do not tell you is that children do not get breakfast included with the price of the room...at all...despite paying the same price for their room as I did for my own. I asked, and was told that if they were adults they would have ate for free as my wife and I did. I don't understand this policy at all except to understand that this hotel is just not family friendly and is intended as a 'sneaky' revenue generator.

The rooms seemed very cheap and poorly maintained. Doors would not shut without having to slam them or lift and drag them across the carpet. Bathroom fixtures were loose and leaked. Mattresses were old, squeaky. Just not a good experience for the price paid.

Some other members of my family found out the hard way, that rooms are charged in full against your credit card before you even arrive/check in at the hotel. Make sure the card you reserve the room with is the one you intend to pay with! There is a no refund policy if you find the hotel not to your satisfaction or if you need to cut your original reservations short a night or two. After reading other reviews, I believe I can safely assume that numerous people have left for other hotels after experiencing 'issues' with the hotel and/or staff and that this policy ensures that they get your money no matter what.

Most of the staff were pleasant if not polite. Many more seemed to be approaching their duties as simply 'checking a box' rather than being genuinely concerned for their customers' needs. The staff I spoke to concerning my kids breakfasts were very crass and acted insulted that I would assume my kids breakfasts were included in the room price as mine was. I read another review that stated their wedding coordinator was not dressed appropriately to be managing a wedding reception. I saw the same thing. The coordinator was not poorly dressed, but a blue jean jacket is just simply not appropriate or professional attire for a wedding coordinator.

This hotel seems to be geared to making most of its money off wedding parties. They do not expect many return guests therefore are willing to design hotel policy to get paid while ignoring issues. I would encourage everyone to read all the reviews before staying here. I saw many five star reviews and as a very frequent business traveler, I can assure everyone this is NOT a five star hotel by any means.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the banquet halls to avoid noise problems with ongoing weddings.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Gardner hotels

Mountain View, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2012

This is a great hotel, have good food, great staff. Close to sky resolts. Just have you car or rental car because is in the middle of nothing. You want to go to the cities next to the hotel.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Boston MA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2012

I went here for a wedding reception. the hall was good but had a small bar that kept a line all during the reception. the food and service was very good. the reception ended at midnight. We went back to our room to sleep, and realized that we could hear the conservations of the people in the adjoining room, they weren't be loud just normal conservation the walls are thin. Loud came later with people out in the halls. their pool was closed for renovations and does not look to be opening soon. if you want the pool check before you go. they also charged for an extra person in the room, but that included breakfast.

Room Tip: the hotel is setup with 2 wings, if you want quiet ask to be in the one without the party
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012

We were staying to watch the Cushing Academy Hockey Tournament in Ashburnham between Christmas and New Years. The grounds are attractively landscaped. Staff was friendly and helpful (came quickly when the toilet was clogged). Common spaces were beautifully decorated for Christmas, but a little chilly. Heating unit in room was a little louder than we'd like, pillows were below average. Good included breakfast buffet (although this may have been a special accomodation for the tournament) and dinner menu selections in the restaurant were extensive, well-priced and well prepared. Wifi is available, password-free but not fully reliable. Pool and spa are under renovation, planned to reopen in spring.

Room Tip: second floor, away from reception - but may not be an issue if there aren't hockey teams arrivin...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Colonial Hotel? Share your experiences!