“A warm stay on a cold week end” 5 of 5 stars

Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Franklin
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   835 Upper Union Street, Franklin, MA 02038   |
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Franklin
Abingdon
“A warm stay on a cold week end”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

the location just off 495 was good and we found every thing we could want within a few miles. The cookies on our arrival with a nice cup of tea in my room was nice. The room had everything you could want. we came in late two nights and fixed a a warm bowl of soup. while we didn't find the sofa very comfortable , TV in bead made it O.K. I actually looked forward to breakfast everyday as it was always different. Will be looking for a Hawthorn next time.

Review collected in partnership with Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Stevensville
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Work station was poor. Small table, worn out chair with tears and stains. Chair kept getting caught on floor molding. Heat in room coudl not be regulated. I recommend having hot oatmeal for breakfast. Why was there a crate of exercise equipment in the hall at the entrance of the elevator for the entire week ? It was there on Sunday check in and still there on Friday check out. It bottlenecked the hallway. Welcome pack on Sunday had 2 menues for pizza joints that were close on Sundays.

Review collected in partnership with Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham

Lake Mary, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

Welcome/Check-In Experience
The front desk agent was slightly creepy, but very friendly nonetheless. Check-in was quick and easy. It took less than 5 minutes.

Room
The room was FREEZING! The heater was off and there was still snow on the ground outside. It was very chilly and dark. I quickly turnedon the heater and settled in. The room was very dark.The decor was very outdated. There is a small kitchenette. There are two coil burners, a small sink, dishwasher and utensils. The dining table doubles as a desk, but is odd because there's a broken rolling desk chair and a regular table char (that was pretty beat up). The refigerator was a small mini-fridge from the 1980s. It had wood paneling on the front. It didn't really cool much, but I didn't use it that much anyway. There is a microwave in the room as well as a small coffee machine. I didn't use either. The room had a worn out old hotel-couch and a matching worn-out coffee table. The dresser and all other "wood" furniture was also well-worn. The room has a nice flat-screen LG television. Lighting in the room was poor. The lights by the bed couldn't be controlled by a lightswitch. There is a vanity area that was convenient for drying my hair. There was a chair there as well.

Bathroom
The bathroom was smaller, but adequate. The shower was slippery and I was concerned that there was residue left from either soap or the cleaning product used. The towels were really hard and almost see-through. I found a pubic hair on a hand towel. Obviously, I didn't use that. The shower head had rust on it and the water spray wasn't even - it was all over the place. The water did get very hot.

Bed
The bed had a pad on it and it was really hot at night. The pillows were totally worn out and there were only two pillows on the queen-size bed. Every other hotel I've ever stayed at has several pillows. The pillows were really small. I don't even know where the hotel would have gotten these pillows from. They were so small. The sheets were clean and were not that hard.

Heating/AC
By the time I settled into room and took a shower, the heater had come on. It was really hot, so I lowered the temperature back down to 70 degrees. The room would not cool off at all and the heat kept coming out of the heater. I ended up opening the windows each night in an attempt to reglate the temperature. If I didn't have the heat on, the room was way too cold, but I could never get the heater to turn off, so I had to open the windows up, even though it was about 16 degrees at night.

Gym
The gym had a couple of treadmills and some other machines. It was pretty small. The treadmill was kind of wonky and uneven. The hotel also ended up having two brand new ellipticals and a recumbent bike delivered in boxes during my stay. Unfortunately, these also stayed in front of the elevator for the week-long duration of my stay. Apparently, the gym also offers a free pass to a local gym, which I was not aware of until my last day.

Parking
The parking isn't that great here. There is a row in front of the hotel and maybe 20 spots on the sides of the hotel. Based on the number of rooms, I'd expect a lot more parking. When I stayed, there was still a lot of snow on the ground. The hotel didn't really clear this off of the parking spots and I found myself regularly running over mounds of ice and scratching my vehicle.

Overall
The hotel staff is the only thing keeping this place afloat. They were very kind and always answered my questions. They said good morning and good evening and wished me a good day. The rooms definitely left something to be desired. I'm really shocked that this is a Wyndham property. If this is what they're projecting, I don't even want to know what is going on at the main Wyndham hotels. There is nothing within walking distance. The hotel does offer breakfast, but it's limited. I think the hotel definitely needs a major remodel. I hope this improves so that the employees can continue providing excellent customer service.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Been to Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Franklin? Share your experiences!