“Low Octane Garage Food” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Late Night
New Jersey
“Low Octane Garage Food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

Watched an episode of Bar Rescue over the weekend and thought I would give it a whirl. Although the e name was changed on the show to Octane, I guess it ran out of fuel and the old name was back. I did notice the 30’ Woman of Steel was still decorating the exterior so maybe just the name changed.

It is a wide open place inside with 90% of the patrons at the bar. I came on my own and sat at a table with a straight on view of the Bruins game. The parking lot seemed very undersized if this place were to be full. There was a band stand so I guess they have live entertainment at times. If the Bruins hadn't tied the game at 2-2 there would not have been any excitement of noise in the place.

Service was slow to arrive and the food slow to arrive as well. I ordered boneless teriyaki chicken skewers, Greek salad, buffalo chicken wrap and three sliders. Two side included onion rings and fries. One good thing was that the tap beer was nice and cold. I also asked if they had different size glasses but they only serve beer in pint glasses. Not a problem, I ordered two!

Boneless teriyaki chicken sticks – Best of the items I ate and very tender and tasty. The small amount of cole slaw was room temperature rather than cold.

Greed Salad – It came in a large bowl with lots of feta, olives, cucumbers and romaine lettuce which was a nice touch. The only issues I had was that I bit into two olives that had pits. I had a bad experience many years ago chomping down on a pitted olive that had a pit and chipped a tooth. So fortunately whenever I eat olives I no longer chomp down. I brought this to the waitress’s attention but so had no reaction.

Buffalo chicken wrap – Decent size but tasted like it was from Plainsboro rather than Buffalo! The onion rings (whole battered) were greasy and lousy.

Sliders – The small piece of apple wood smoked bacon on top was the highlight. The burgers themselves were overcooked (not that I was asked how I wanted them) and nondescript in taste. The portion of the side of fries was as much as one would expect but also average tasting at best. They should ask Burger King to serve their Angry Burger on their menu!

Not sure why the chicken sticks and salad were served together and then the buffalo chicken and sliders together rather than one at a time. Since the place was not crowded I would have expected much attentive service. I hate to think the service gets slower and less friendly when they are busy. No plans to go back. The "Maître D" in a T-Shirt and blue jeans was not very friendly when I came and or when I left. My total bill was $53 which included an 18% tip.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

boston
“Not great”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Saw this place on Bar Rescue, and I have been driving by this place for a long time. We decided to give it a try. Its a bar/pub and their emphasis is on booze I guess. The food other than the wings and pizza is horrific and very below average. I tried the burger, which on the bar rescue show was highlighted as being a profit loss due to unlimited toppings. Well, they changed that immediately. What you get for $10 is a frozen burger patty that has bits of hard things in them. Burgers are so obviously frozen. They lack taste or anything unique. Its a $6 burger any day. Want cheese? Extra $$. Want bacon or any meat? $1 extra. I get it, but when you charge $10 for the base burger, it better be good. It wasnt. The fries are nothing special at all. They were cold and undercooked.
Wife had a salad, and the lettuce had the obvious bagged lettuce preservative taste. It just didnt taste fresh at all.
There's no pizza on the kids menu, so my son had a 12" pizza for $10. It was ok, crust was too crispy for his liking but I thought it was pretty good.
Fountain sodas at $2.50 were too expensive and not worth it. Boneless wings were crunchy and ok but there wasn't enough sauce on them.
The service took a long time and the server was not friendly at all. When she screwed up my order, there was no apology, she just took it back and corrected it. That's fine, I dont need to be romanced but at least be friendly. She didnt crack a smile at all the entire time. Food took way too long to get.

Dont come here if you want half way decent service or food. If all you want is to play pool, have wings with a few friends and some beer, its fine and maybe I'll go back with just the guys some time if there is no other place to go. I will never go here with my wife or family again due to the place not caring about food and 3/4 of their menu comes from a box or freezer.

• Visited March 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Framingham, Massachusetts
“Decent local grub....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

The 1st time I had their pizza I was blown away. The 2nd time they forgot a topping. The 3rd time didn't taste the same as the 1st. All in all, it's a decent stop for bar food and a good time. They definitely lack consistency but I never leave unhappy. Decent nachos too...

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Natick, Massachusetts
“horrible manager”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

we had a group of 8 deaf customers on a table. Some of them are very hungry and waiting for a waitress to show up at their table. A waitress never show up so one of us talked to a manager (front desk) he gave us AWFUL ATTITUDE... the place manager pointed us out to a bar. Some of us didn't pleasure the place. They ignored us and refused to serve foods to us. We havent do anything to them. I recommend you not to go to Angry Ham Garage..

• Visited October 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Typical Towny Bar”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

I consider this a towny place, coming back to my hometown is always exciting, and I'm always willing to try newer places. The parking was horrible, decor inside was fun, typical bar atmosphere, food is nothing to brag about, its bar food! The one thing that really annoyed me was how loud is was in there, for a place with a bar, yes, loud music ok, but early evening sitting down with a family with young kids it wasn't a good idea to pump up the volume.

So, if your out on the town and want a few drinks, go for it, with young kids trying to get food, you may want to consider going someplace else.

• Visited December 2011