“" The view, plus the rocking chairs, perfect"” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Harbor View Hotel

Save Saved
You added Harbor View Hotel to your Saves list
Harbor View Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   131 North Water St, Edgartown, Martha's Vineyard, MA 02539   |
Ranked #3 of 5 hotels in Edgartown
Toms River, New Jersey
“" The view, plus the rocking chairs, perfect"”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

I found this hotel on Trip advisor, this was my first time on MV but my mom had been there before. The price for 2 double beds was $97.00 dollars( easter weekend) so we booked two nights. I knew they had water view rooms and I knew we would not be staying in any of those rooms and that was fine. The total for two nights was $212, you can not beat that. The view from the front of the hotel with the rocking chairs overlooking Edgartown lighthouse and Chappaquiddick was breathtaking. Edgartown is a beautiful, small town with shopping and plenty of places to eat. I hope I have the chance to stay here again.

Room Tip: They do not have elevators so the first floor is best if you have trouble with the stairs. Ask about...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

569 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
Chateauneuf de Grasse, France
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

Magnificent hotel, very well located, great staff. However, we had to wait until 6 pm to get our bedrooms- which were not even clean (crumbs and used bathrobe), diner restaurant closed and only bar open ( fabulous cookies with milk).
The walls are very thin and you could hear the neighbors. Our car was scratched in the parking lot...
To finish, we were debited twice for a single breakfast.

Not the best stay!

Room Tip: Try the main building and do not go out season as everything is closed.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Mason, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

The hotel was wonderful, the view was magnificent, the island was peaceful for my husband and I. It was our honeymoon and we picked a place we both had never been "Martha's Vineyard". The Harbor View you can't go wrong, they met our need. Harbor View has one great asset her name is "Darlene" she was wonderful anticipated our needs and help us to meet them like renting a car to drive the island for a greater sight seeing experience that was breath taking. Thank you Darlene,
Greg and Myrna Barrett

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Northof Boston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

We are Bostonians, and generally make it to The Vineyard at least once a year. Sometimes for a week in a vacation rental, sometimes staying with friends, sometimes in a hotel. My husband and I decided to make an escape for a couple of nights and booked a room at the Harbor View. Since it was Off-Season, we booked a deluxe water view room, with a small balcony. The price was around $300/night.
The view was to die for. The room was a decent size, two comfy chairs, bed was fine, TV was junk. Bathroom was poor. Peeling paint on the ceiling, and a crappy, old, no-water pressure shower with a single sink ( but a huge counter). I would be horrified to come in High Season and pay $800 for this room. If I am paying that much, I want a top of the line bathroom and an HD TV.
The only staff person we interacted with was the front desk clerk at check-in, and he was pleasant and kind. The lobby of the hotel is gorgeous, and shines.
Because it is an old building, you need to be aware that you will hear people walking above you, and hear other doors closing, etc. Not that these were issues that I would ever call the desk about, but you should be aware, if planning to spend $800 to visit in August.
I would never pay the summer rates, and will check around before returning in the off season.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Annapolis, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

We stayed in one of the cottage suites. Absolutely beautiful and perfect. Rooms were large and spacious with comfortable bed and pillows. Large deck off the bedroom to sit outside in the evening and relax with a glass of wine. Even had an outdoor shower. Staff helped us with decisions on where to visit and eat and helped us with bicycle rentals. They recommended someone who delivered the bicycles and picked them up when we left. The hotel is within riding distance to Oak Bluffs and you can ride or walk around Edgartown. Perfect vacation.

• Stayed April 2014
Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

We spent the last weekend of March at the Harbor View to celebrate an 80th birthday with family and friends. The trip to the island was long and trying as we dealt with a lengthy drive, a rough ferry trip and generally bad weather.

We appreciated The Director of Evening Services Donnie Ethier for helping us get squared away when we arrived and giving us a tour of the place to make sure we knew where all the amenities were. He made it a point to periodically check in with us during the weekend to make sure all was well.

This is a beautiful old hotel with an amazing front pouch and view. Scout Hotels now owns this place and will no doubt capitalize on it's huge potential. We were delighted to hear that Clark Guinn is now Regional Director of Operations and will now also be overseeing the Harbor View along with the Kelley House. Clark and his team did an excellent job turning around the Sea Crest in Falmouth so we anticipate positive changes to an already impressive hotel. Check out my review of the Sea Crest titled "Good to be back".

We look forward to our next visit.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Norwich, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

Not being much of a crowd person I took my first ever trip out to Martha's Vineyard in February of all times but it was a fantastic trip in spite of the cold and snow and was made all the more so by my stay at Edgartown's beautiful Harbor View Hotel. I am a sucker for historic hotels and if they come complete with a wide veranda with wooden rockers where one can sit and enjoy the view, all the better! You can bet I was quite enchanted with the Harbor View as not only does it fill both of those requirements but that view from the rockers includes the Edgartown Lighthouse with Chappaquiddick Island beyond.

The hotel exudes a feeling of serenity from its lobby with a terrific fireplace and walls painted in beautiful seaside colors with lots of white woodwork to its Victorian-style dining room with plenty of windows to take in the view while enjoying a very tasty breakfast before starting your day to its guest rooms which are comfortably-appointed with luxurious bedding, lots of soft & fluffy towels, and plenty of room to move around & settle in. For our visit, my cousin and I stayed in one of the Captain's Cottages which was simply amazing. Our cottage was two stories and had a kitchenette area with microwave, mini-refrigerator, and dishes, a beautiful gas-burning fireplace, flat-screen TVs in both bedrooms as well as the living room area, a washer and dryer, and two full-size bathrooms. The marble walk-in shower in the upstairs bathroom was absolutely marvelous and made my own home shower look even sadder than it usually does in comparison! Our suite was simply amazing in all respects.

In addition to being comfortable and beautiful and the epitome of a seaside inn, the Harbor View Hotel has a staff that is very friendly and helpful and more than willing to answer questions, make suggestions, and do whatever it takes to make your visit special. In particular the Director of Evening Services, Donnie Ethier, was marvelous - he gave us a map and showed us the best places in Edgartown to walk to (a very easy walk from the hotel) and was also nice enough to give us a tour of some of the rooms in the historic hotel as he told us some of the property's history. Each room that he showed us looked like it would be the perfect place to stay while visiting the Vineyard and none of them looked like they would disappoint in the least though I would imagine that the ones that had the balcony with a water view were some of the most popular!

All in all, it was a terrific stay in a very beautiful place and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Harbor View Hotel or go back myself should I ever return to Martha's Vineyard. While you're there, be sure to take the time to walk around and look at the photos of the hotel "back in the day" and spend some time sitting out on their veranda and take in the view as it's gorgeous!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Harbor View Hotel? Share your experiences!