“Spectacular Views & Accomodations Along with Fantastic Staff!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Harbor View Hotel

You added Harbor View Hotel to your Saves list
Harbor View Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   131 North Water St, Edgartown, Martha's Vineyard, MA 02539   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Edgartown
Norwich, Connecticut
“Spectacular Views & Accomodations Along with Fantastic Staff!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

Not being much of a crowd person I took my first ever trip out to Martha's Vineyard in February of all times but it was a fantastic trip in spite of the cold and snow and was made all the more so by my stay at Edgartown's beautiful Harbor View Hotel. I am a sucker for historic hotels and if they come complete with a wide veranda with wooden rockers where one can sit and enjoy the view, all the better! You can bet I was quite enchanted with the Harbor View as not only does it fill both of those requirements but that view from the rockers includes the Edgartown Lighthouse with Chappaquiddick Island beyond.

The hotel exudes a feeling of serenity from its lobby with a terrific fireplace and walls painted in beautiful seaside colors with lots of white woodwork to its Victorian-style dining room with plenty of windows to take in the view while enjoying a very tasty breakfast before starting your day to its guest rooms which are comfortably-appointed with luxurious bedding, lots of soft & fluffy towels, and plenty of room to move around & settle in. For our visit, my cousin and I stayed in one of the Captain's Cottages which was simply amazing. Our cottage was two stories and had a kitchenette area with microwave, mini-refrigerator, and dishes, a beautiful gas-burning fireplace, flat-screen TVs in both bedrooms as well as the living room area, a washer and dryer, and two full-size bathrooms. The marble walk-in shower in the upstairs bathroom was absolutely marvelous and made my own home shower look even sadder than it usually does in comparison! Our suite was simply amazing in all respects.

In addition to being comfortable and beautiful and the epitome of a seaside inn, the Harbor View Hotel has a staff that is very friendly and helpful and more than willing to answer questions, make suggestions, and do whatever it takes to make your visit special. In particular the Director of Evening Services, Donnie Ethier, was marvelous - he gave us a map and showed us the best places in Edgartown to walk to (a very easy walk from the hotel) and was also nice enough to give us a tour of some of the rooms in the historic hotel as he told us some of the property's history. Each room that he showed us looked like it would be the perfect place to stay while visiting the Vineyard and none of them looked like they would disappoint in the least though I would imagine that the ones that had the balcony with a water view were some of the most popular!

All in all, it was a terrific stay in a very beautiful place and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Harbor View Hotel or go back myself should I ever return to Martha's Vineyard. While you're there, be sure to take the time to walk around and look at the photos of the hotel "back in the day" and spend some time sitting out on their veranda and take in the view as it's gorgeous!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

Stayed at the Harbor View for 2 nights in March, 2014. Check in was very simple, and the staff there were upfront and accommodating when our room wasn't completely finished being cleaned yet. Staff at desk was willing to call us (only 10 minutes later) to let us know when it was ready. It was refreshing to see that all the guests were also very understanding, and we didn't witness any temper tantrums from other patrons about this very minor delay.The building is very tastefully decorated, as are the rooms. It is very bright and comfortable with our King room in the main building giving us great views of the property and the ocean. We ate at Henry's one evening, and breakfast at Water Street the next day. We prefer more casual pub atmosphere, but meals at both the hotel restaurants were delicious, fresh, and no one made us feel out of place in boots and jeans. I would highly recommend staying here in the winter when there's almost no crowd to be found anywhere. We walked for several miles on the beach across the street, starting at the Edgartown Lighthouse that is directly across the street.

Room Tip: Looked like all the rooms in the main building had some sort of water view, whereas the cottages at...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

Beautiful hotel to stay at, very relaxing but nicely furnished. It overlooks Edgartown Light House, and is a short walk to the center. Staff are very friendly and helpful. Can't wait to visit there again.

Room Tip: We had a choice of a room with a king size bed or 2 doubles, we chose the king size and were glad we...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

Harborview has many levels of room qualities. Rooms in the main building are very clean and pleasant. We were even upgrade during off season last year. When possible, we will always stay here or a homely Bed & Breakfast while on the island.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

Harbor View Hotel in Edgartown is a welcome retreat with a staff that's courteous and attentive to making your stay as delightful as possible. Have been a guest in-season and off-season for many years. We always feel like we're coming home.

Room Tip: Rooms throughout the property are well appointed, however we really enjoy the openness and high-end...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

Stayed in the Mayhew building for a medical conference with the family. I have to say, either this back building is just neglected because they charge less, or this hotel is really overall very poor in maintaining basic service!
Our toilet never flushed correctly, and we generally had to "hold it in" to use facilities outside the room...not pleasant! When we called to get maid service (nobody cleaned our room or emptied trash, which contained my baby's soiled diapers) it took several calls to get someone, and we got a lot of excuses. They would not give us air freshener when the toilet overflowed from not flushing correctly, and they came twice to do turndown service at 10:30 pm, not a good time with a sleeping toddler!
The furniture in the room was very damaged, the rooms had a musty/mildewy smell and the doors in and out of the building slammed loudly all night with people coming and going. We could hear our neighbors conversations in the next room, and did not feel safe as the door at the far end did not require the card key. (It did not lock when closed!)
On the positive side, the location is gorgeous, the dining experience was quite nice and the activities available were impressive. Personally I would have liked to have been in the center of town (probably because my toddler couldn't handle the longish walk into town and the hotel did not have strollers) but my family enjoyed the location and I agree it was quite nice for that.
I hear the customer service is known to be poor in this hotel, and I found that many staff seemed edgy, defensive, nervous and overall without expertise or professionalism.
When I called to book a room for this summer's conference, I asked many questions about the main building rooms (almost twice the price of the back building) and explained why I was concerned to stay in the back building. Instead of an apology however, I got a bit of an attitude back! This place is nice to look at, less nice to sleep/live in unless you spend all your time on the porch or in the dining room!

Room Tip: Be wary of the Mayhew building, but I haven't stayed in main hotel so can't guarantee how mu...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Clark_Guinn, Director of Sales at Harbor View Hotel, responded to this review, February 13, 2014
Thank you for speaking with me today. We sincerely apologize again for your stay last year. We are addressing issues with the Mayhew Building this winter/spring, and are already training our staff. I will personally check your accommodations prior to your arrival this year, and please know that you may call me at any time for assistance.

All the best,

Lara West
Regional Director of Sales
Boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

My boyfriend and I just returned from a delightful stay at the Harbor View Hotel. The hotel property is stunning and the staff are extremely friendly and professional.

We originally booked a room in one of the outer buildings, but were upgraded to the main building when the staff decided to place a high school girls hockey team in that space instead. The room was on the top floor and was spacious and very clean.

The only less-than-positive thing I have to say is that the two meals I attempted to eat were inedible due to the amount of salt!

If I ever have the opportunity to return to MV I would stay at Harbor View Hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Harbor View Hotel? Share your experiences!