“An Excellent choice while staying on the Vineyard” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Harbor View Hotel

You added Harbor View Hotel to your Saves list
Harbor View Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   131 North Water St, Edgartown, Martha's Vineyard, MA 02539   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Suite Savings 50% Off
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Edgartown
Montclair, New Jersey, United States
“An Excellent choice while staying on the Vineyard”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

The Harbor View Hotel is an outstanding place to stay. We have spent many summers in Martha's Vineyard but have never stayed in any of the hotels. This summer we rented a house as usual from Saturday to Saturday and at the last minute were not able to make our Saturday Ferry back to the Cape. With a Sunday ferry reservation, we scrambled for a Saturday night hotel reservation. The Harbor View was a great choice and they welcomed my husband, me and our 4 daughters graciously. It is a high end, luxurious hotel with a comfortable, casual and very beachy feel. We relaxed on the porch with a stunning view of the harbor and lighthouse. The girls enjoyed lemonade and face painting in the afternoon and somores in the evening. There are 2 restaurants. We ate at Henry's which I highly recommend. The food, service and wine were outstanding and the atmosphere is picture perfect. We were so relaxed I never wanted to leave! I could go on and on about the staff, the valet parking etc. You will not be disappointed. Trust me, I know a good hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
Scottsdale, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

beautiful property and location
• Concierge was very pleasant on the phone taking my requests such as dinner reservations, privately chartered boat, wine and cheese order for the boat ride and explained what was available upon arrived as well as the best way to get to the island. He took my credit card, advised he would email me a confirmation with a wine list so that I could select a wine for the boat ride
• Concierge dropped the ball by never calling me back or emailing me to confirm the reservation so I was left unsure as to whether I had a reservation or not for dinner, boat or otherwise.
• When we arrived, I explained what happened and was immediately advised that he (and others of your staff) were “busy” and that is probably what happened
• Others quickly picked up the slack for concierge and confirmed the boat, the cheese plate (by this time, I had purchased my own bottle of wine) and getting scooters for us, etc….. That said we discovered by your sign that the boat ride was in fact $400. Concierge had quoted me $500!
• The date of the boat ride, the cheese plate was delivered to our room via room service (plates under metal covers)…not sure what we were supposed to do with that??? We told Concierge later and he brought brown boxes for the boat ride and apologized for the mix-up
• We had dinner reservations at your restaurant and had to cancel (due to illness) and wanted to reschedule…the lady who answered the phone at the restaurant said they were “busy” and would cancel the reservation but would need to call me to offer a reschedule because they were “busy”. I am STILL waiting for that return call
• We had ants in our bathroom from time of check in to time of check out

Room Tip: Ocean view
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Providence, Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

We were greeted by an overly friendly staff who were super accomodating and excited to have us stay. We got to the hotel 3 hours before check in and our room was ready for us in 5 minutes! We made small talk with the Manager, Katie--who soon came to know us by only that night. My boyfriend took me for a stroll down to the Edgartown Lighthouse which is directly across from the hotel to the beach. He proposed to me on the beach next to the lighthouse---IT WAS AMAZING! When we went back to the hotel we told Katie all about the engagement. She took her time to set up the fireplace area so we could take "newly engaged" pictures in front of it! She asked for our room number and had chocolate truffles delivered to our room--complimentary! SHe and the staff wrote a wonderful personalized note and now want us to come back to the Harbor view every year for our anniversary. They were super accomodating--super friendly--and always willing to please. Every time you passed a staff member--they'd smile and say hello. We will absolutely go back! (Also--eat dinner at L'etoile...DELICIOUS)

The rooms were clean, classy, and they even had a turn down service! We had a deck with a street view, but enjoyed sitting on the porch for the view of the ocean. They really made our stay memorable.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
New York, New York, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

I was expecting great things...What we got were robes in the closet that were ripped and gross looking. When we complained, they gave new ones...which looked as bad as the first one. My daughter walked into the bathroom and said it smelled - which it did. There was mold in the shower area. That was cleaned up after we asked. Concierge's response was 'Im so sorry.' Twice. When I showed the photos she was speechless...as she should have been... But great concierge service knows how to handle problems... Gross. I will never go there again. And - for the price? Killed me to pay for such

2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

We arrived hoping to find a quiet room. Having made a note that it was our honeymoon, we were surprised it was not mentioned at all when we checked in, as other hotels have, but didn't think too much of it. The room we were offered was facing the pool and rather noisy, so we asked politely if there was anything quieter available. This led to some kind of barter over room rates that neither of us were expecting, but hoping to get a good night's sleep, we agreed to pay extra for a room in the main building which we were assured would be quieter. Alas, it was incredibly noisy. The acoustics in the building are awful and it sounded like people were moving furniture above us, and kids running around transmitted through the ceiling like a herd of elephants. We were woken early by loud music on both mornings, there was the intrusive blare from staff walkie talkies as they roamed the corridors and to top it off, we had a problem with ants in our room. All in all, it was far from what we were expecting for the price we paid. The view is great, but surely it's possible to look after your guests too?

• Stayed August 2012
Tega Cay, South Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

This hotel is beautiful with lots of charm. The location cannot be beat just steps away from Edgartown and wonderful views. We were a family of four - two teenagers. The area was very safe and the kids took off by themselves with no worries.

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

This was our 24th year at this hotel and it keeps getting better and better. There is actually no need to leave the property which is directly on the ocean facing the Edgartown Lighthouse. With a private beach, boat dock, olympic size swimming pool, 3 restaurants (including poolside lunch and beverages), a staff that goes out of their way to be of assistance, and a just a short scenic walk to downtown Edgartown, this place has it all. One of our favorite things to do is just sitting on the wrap-around front porch and looking at the water and nearby Chappaqudidick Island.

The Vineyard is a special place and I would highly recommend staying at the Harbor View if you visit the island.

Room Tip: The cottages behind the main hotel give you more privacy and comfort.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Harbor View Hotel? Share your experiences!