“Beautiful Inn with Great Views” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Harbor View Hotel

Save Saved
You added Harbor View Hotel to your Saves list
Harbor View Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   131 North Water St, Edgartown, Martha's Vineyard, MA 02539   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #3 of 5 hotels in Edgartown
San Francisco, California
“Beautiful Inn with Great Views”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2011

I just had a wonderful stay at the Habor View Inn. My room was very spacious and had a lovely view. The Inn does not have an elevator, so if you cannot climb stairs easily, request a room on the first level. The porch has rocking chairs that you can sit on and enjoy the view. A definite must...they have the best crab cakes I have ever had and coming from San Francisco, I've had a lot! If you go, be sure and say hello to Alfonso, the waiter. He's the best, very nice and he will take good care of you.

Room Tip: No elevator, so request a room on the first level if you can't climb stairs.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends

566 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
Ocean, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2011

I booked the Harbor View for a mini-honeymoon. I had read mixed reviews online, but I must say, the Harbor View exceeded my expectations. We had a wonderful view of the Edgartown Lighthouse. The room was spacious, comfortable, nicely decorated, and clean. The hotel is a quaint and beautiful place, and I was surprised that it matched the photos I saw online. Everyone from the bell hop to the front desk (thanks, Amanda) was pleasant upon check in. Madison, who was our bartender at Water Street, was a pleasure. We took a sunset cruise on the Stardust. Corrigan (Cori) was a great tour guide and despite the fog, it was a very pleasant ride. The hotel is within a short walk into town. Each and every house along the route is more beautiful than the next. We sat by the pool twice during our stay and it was peaceful and refreshing. I can't think of anything we didn't like about this hotel - we will definitely stay again.

Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011 via mobile

There seems to be nothing which this hotel cannot cater to...proximity to beach, awesome pool, walkinf distance to town, excellent food and amazing ocean views everywhere you look. It is one of the most beautiful resorts we've visited, yet perfectly amenable to travelling with young children.

• Stayed August 2011
New York, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

My husband and I spent Labor Day weekend at the Harbor View. Overall, we had a great time and we have no criticisms of the hotel. Martha's Vineyard (particularly Edgartown) definitely caters to the uber-rich/spoiled and pretentious crowd and the Harbor View is no exception. This was noted in the prices ($550 per night for one of their most basic rooms, which was nice, but definitely nothing special as far as space or views) and the attitude of the staff. The staff members were friendly and attentive, but it felt forced. I'm not saying that the staff members were mean or rude, but they were just so overly nice I came to the impression that they have been abused by many self-involved and entitled guests. At one point, I wanted to walk out the door and the bell boys panicked becuase they had not noticed me and I almost opened it on my own (horror of horrors!), so they leapt in front of me and apologized profusely for being late in opening the door. While I appreciate the attention,. I don't like to stay somewhere and mistreat people who are serving me or feel like it's culturally acceptable to treat the staff as if they are lesser than the customer.

We thought the facilities were all very beautiful, I loved the wrap-around porch and the views and the lobby was very cozy. The concierge works hard to accomodate all requests. Our room had been recently been renovated and the bed was quite comfortable. We appreciated the turndown service at night. I would definitely recommend this hotel. However, as someone who has traveled around the world and stayed in high end hotels, I found the other guests at the Harbor View to be an entitled, pretientious crowd with whom I did not like being associated in the eyes of the staff, nor do I like to be around. People should be aware of the culture of the island and the town if that is not something you want to deal with on your vacation as there are many places to go where very wealthy people don't act like it.

Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

A very nice inn even though it's a little on the predictable of the upscale New England coastal spectrum. Comfortable and clean. A great location to take in the beautiful harbor town and it's lovely homes and vistas. When booking, request a room away from the restaurant and on a higher floor. We stayed in the main building near the restaurant and pool which made it noisy both late at night and early in the morning.

Room Tip: don't stay too close to the pool or near the restaurant, we were near both and it was noisy earl...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

This was our fourth trip to Martha's Vineyard and our second stay at the Harbor View. The rooms are lovely and the staff could not be more accomodating. Whether you enjoy morning coffee on the front porch overlooking the bay or stroll downtown for great shopping and dining, this hotel is both inviting and perfectly located.

Room Tip: Offseason is best for pricing and the Mayhew building 1st floor street view provides the best privat...
Houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2011

We stayed 4 nights at the Harbor View in one of the cottages in the upstairs suite. The location was perfect for walking into Edgartown. Our room was very large with separate sitting area and we had 2 wonderful exterior decks where we could lounge as well. The room was very clean and the bed very comfortable. The staff cleaned the room each day to our satisfaction.

The grounds of the property are absolutely beautiful and the veranda off the main lobby is perfect for relaxing in a rocking chair and enjoying the view of the Edgartown Lighthouse and the adjoining harbor. This is a very nice property, but the rates are a little steep; however, we did luck out with the drop after Labor Day. If you are looking for a great, quiet location, with beautiful grounds and view this is an ideal place to stay. We would definitely stay here again and recommend to our friends.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Harbor View Hotel? Share your experiences!