“Love this hotel! Perfect and fun location, incredible service!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Vineyard Square Hotel & Suites

Save Saved
You added Vineyard Square Hotel & Suites to your Saves list
Vineyard Square Hotel & Suites
3.0 of 5 Inn   |   38 North Water Street, Edgartown, Martha's Vineyard, MA 02539 (Formerly Colonial Inn)   |
Ranked #4 of 11 Edgartown B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“Love this hotel! Perfect and fun location, incredible service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

Two word review- stay here!! If you are planning a trip, long or short to the Vineyard, I highly recommend this hotel if you want an amazing experience. My fiance and I wanted to spend a few days away for my birthday weekend in August. We searched online and hoped to be in a nice location so we could get a feel for the Vineyard, but being New Yorkers we are used to having everything at our fingertips and within walking distance. We wanted to be near restaurants, shopping and the beach with little effort. Vineyard Square provided us with that option- it was so convenient, we could walk to everything. The room was lovely and immaculate, decorated in a cool green and filled with eco-friendly touches, it had exactly that beachy feel I was looking for without being too isolated.

A few other things that were wonderful- they have live music on the outside front porch on some nights and it was just so awesome to have that right next to the hotel. Also, if you need beautifying (like I did), the hotel has an amazing salon where you can get your hair done or a mani/pedi. It was so nice to have that right there so you can pamper yourself and I got so many compliments when i got home and back to work. I am thinking of going back in the off-season even. Ask for Salissa for hair, she is the best. Free breakfast was also a nice touch, with an outdoor back patio that had lots of comfy places to relax. Plus they have bikes for the guests... I never got my courage up to test one out and go riding- but it is totally a reason for me to go back and conquer the bikes! Oh and for all you fitness fans they have a small gym, I never expected that so I didn't bring my workout clothes.. but you can definitely get the time in.

Above all, the staff was so friendly and catered to our every need, whether it be recommendations for breakfast or supplies for the beach. Joanne and Evelyn are fantastic and if you have any questions, Wes who is also at the desk is one of those jack-of all trades where no task seems too large or small. I asked if he helps with weddings, because I know he would deliver top notch service for us!

Finally, I will review it separately as well but the restaurant Chesca next door was our favorite place to eat in Edgartown and it was so convenient being right at the hotel- the fun drinks, a lobster salad, and the Snowball dessert are things i can't get out of my head.

In all it was a perfect birthday trip and we can't wait to go back, perhaps we will make it our annual getaway every August!!!

Room Tip: We stayed in a single room and it was perfect for the two of us!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
VineyardSquare, General Manager at Vineyard Square Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
It's so lovely to hear that we made your birthday getaway sing! That means a lot. Thank you so much for your kind and detailed review. I'm happy that our entire front desk crew made such an impression. And, it sounds like you made great use of the other businesses located at The Square, as well. We are so glad to have Sea Spa Salon and Chesca's located on our complex. It's always great to hear great feedback on them! Please do come back to "Getaway Central" for your next celebration. We look forward to impressing you even more.

173 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Pelham, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

I stayed here for a weekend last spring while my Vineyard house was being renovated. Very, very nice choice at considerably lower cost than some of the other places in town. Excellent location right on North Water Street, convenient to shopping, restaurants, shuttle bus stop, and the harbor. I had a two bedroom suite with a small living room and kitchenette. It was impeccably clean and everything we needed. The help at the front desk was cheerful and helpful. Really an excellent choice

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
VineyardSquare, General Manager at Vineyard Square Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
Thank you so much for your kind words. I am so glad we could provide you with a comfortable and convenient "home away from home" while work was being done on your Vineyard house. We also greatly appreciate you recommending us to others for our competitive Martha's Vineyard hotel rates, helpful staff, and our excellent, central location to all Edgartown has to offer.
Devizes
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Vineyard Square hotel for two weeks during our honeymoon and the Jawsfest celebration and we could not be happier with the treatment we received. From the minute we arrived until the moment we left we were treated like family and it was with heavy hearts that we finally checked out. Our room was a great size and was kept spotless by the housekeeping staff, the breakfast buffet was a huge selection of fruit, cereal, muffins, bagels, and much more, and hot coffee on the go all day long certainly helped keep us going after a long day sightseeing.

The location is an easy walk to anywhere you need to go in Edgartown and we can't recommend the hotel enough. The manager, Joanne, is a superstar, and months before we arrived was immensely helpful with our booking and planning of our trip, we can't say enough good things about her and her staff, Wes and Nikisha especially, always greeted us with a warm welcome and helped us out with whatever we needed.

We wouldn't hesitate in returning to the Vineyard Square hotel and we will definitely come back again one day as long as Joanne is still in charge :)

Matt and Han

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
VineyardSquare, General Manager at Vineyard Square Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, September 3, 2012
Matt and Han – Thank you so much for your lovely review. I am glad that you felt so at home here at Vineyard Square. I am very proud of all of our staff and their knowledge and hospitality and I thank you for your kind words about Wes and Nikisha. They make a great team at the front desk and it is wonderful to hear that they made a good impression, especially as this is the 1st season at our front desk for both of them. I am very flattered by your kind words about my help too. I hope to be ‘in charge’ for many years to come but I hope that I won’t have to wait too long to welcome you back ’home’!
Warwick, Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

We stayed at the Vineyard Square this past week. We had a great time. The location is phenomenal - we could walk to everything in Edgartown. And the views of the harbor and from the fourth floor porch were stunning. The room was lovely. Beautifully decorated. Free breakfast every morning that was quite nice - fresh baked muffins !!! But what makes this hotel such a treasure is the staff. The manager Joanne is simply the best hotel staff person I have ever encountered. She was warm, friendly, and personable. She knew the island like the back of her hand, recommending great hiking areas, and superb restaurants (Detante, Chesca's and L'Etoile were wonderful). While we were there, the whole staff was given the night off for a staff appreciation party and the three owners ran the hotel. They were great - no wonder they hired Joanne - they were equally friendly and accommodating, though they didn't know the island as well as she did. All around we had a great getaway and enjoyed this very nice hotel, beautiful town, and gorgeous island.

Room Tip: We stayed in one of the one bedroom luxury suites and they were unbelievable - well worth the extra...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
VineyardSquare, General Manager at Vineyard Square Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, August 24, 2012
It means a lot that you call our staff a "treasure." We love knowing that our care and attention made an impression on you. We enjoy making our guests' time away extra special. I also personally want to thank you for the kind words about my knowledge of the island. I love Martha's Vineyard and it is truly a blessing that I get to share my knowledge and ideas with lovely people every day. Come back and visit "The Square" again soon!
ny
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

From the time we made our reservations we knew we made the right choice. The Vineyard Square is centrally located in Edgartown. The hotel holds all the charm of Martha's Vineyard with comfortable accommodations. The level of customer service provided by Joanne, Evelyn, Wes and their staff was unsurpassed. From directions, recommendations, beach chairs to an umbrella on a rainy night were all done with a pleasant and professional attitude. Our room,a standard queen on the 4th floor, although a bit small, was comfortable and had a gas fireplace. If there was a fault, the bathroom was dated. The housekeeping staff was virtually invisible and quiet yet the room was always immaculate when we returned. This hotel has a great location to browse the shops, hop the ferry to Chappy, take a sunset catamaran cruise, hop on a bus to other island points or take a bicycle ride (bikes provided). At the end of a long day, a relaxing evening can be spent in the rocking chairs on the front veranda. Without a question, we will be staying at the Vineyard on our next visit!

Room Tip: Request the fourth floor. The is no elevator (ADA use only to the 2nd floor)
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
VineyardSquare, General Manager at Vineyard Square Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
Gee! I think we could hire you to be a concierge - you summed up our services, amenities and location so well! Thank you for your lovely review and for staying with us this summer. Evelyn, Wes and I thoroughly enjoy assisting our guests and it means a lot to hear you say our service was unsurpassed. We also appreciate the compliment for our hardworking housekeeping staff. We look forward to welcoming you back to "Getaway Central" in the future. We'll keep the rocking chairs at the ready.
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

Pretty much echo all the good things everyone's been saying - great and courteous staff, awesome location, and charming building and decor. Gym and breakfast could be better, but absolutely worth coming back. Parking is no problem and they have bikes to rent out for free.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
VineyardSquare, General Manager at Vineyard Square Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
Thank you for echoing and adding to the praise for Vineyard Square Hotel & Suites. We especially appreciate your kind words about our staff as we take great pride in our customer service. We've also taken your comments (and comments of others) about our gym to heart and a reconfiguration and enhancement is slated for this fall. We also are always working to improve our breakfast (we've been getting raves for our granola!) and welcome any thoughts you may have on how to make it even better. Please feel free to email me directly with your suggestions at joanne@vineyardsquarehotel.com.
Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

We recently stayed 3 nights at the hotel and had a fantastic time.

The building itself is charming - historic look and some creaks. There is a large front porch with rockers for guests and those awaiting tables at Chesca's (good, lively restaurant on premises) and a smaller rooftop deck for guests with a great view. There is a nice quiet courtyard where you can enjoy breakfast. There is a small gym with some equipment although it could be improved by replacing an unexplained lounge chair with a bench or more equipment.

Our room ("cozy") was reasonably-priced (for Martha's Vineyard weekend in summer) and tastefully decorated and clean. The bathroom was larger than those in most hotels.

The best part of this hotel is the location - on Water Street a few blocks from Main and the harbor, surrounded by shops and restaruants. We walked or rode bikes everywhere (South and State beaches, restaurants, Edgartown lighthouse, etc.).

5 star rating would have to involve a little more luxury for me, but we were very happy with our stay and would recommend / go back. Staff is friendly and helpful. We encountered no issues.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
VineyardSquare, General Manager at Vineyard Square Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, July 27, 2012
Thank you for recent visit and your kind words. It's nice to hear that you found our Edgartown hotel charming and tastefully decorated. We completed a renovation last year and are very happy with the result. Our location certainly is fantastic and Chesca's on the premises definitely does keep things hopping! We're also so very glad you found our Cozy Rooms to be a good deal -- we think so, too! If you are interested in a lot more luxury, please do consider booking one of our our luxury suites for your next visit. They are very affordable in the shoulder and off-season time frames and we often announce great deals and specials on Facebook for these suites. "Like" us and be in the know!

Been to Vineyard Square Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!