“Vineyard Square” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Vineyard Square Hotel & Suites

You added Vineyard Square Hotel & Suites to your Saves list
Vineyard Square Hotel & Suites
3.0 of 5 Inn   |   38 North Water Street, Edgartown, Martha's Vineyard, MA 02539 (Formerly Colonial Inn)   |
Special Offer
Christmas Season Deal!
Ranked #4 of 11 Edgartown B&B and Inns
seattle
“Vineyard Square”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2011

Let me preface my review by saying I had a great experience making the reservation and checking in/out with Joanne. She was very friendly and we enjoyed our interactions with her. I rated the the service level as a 5 for our experience with her.

The location is nice, but the rooms really leave something to be desired. There were a lot of spots that were in need of repair, missing screws, holes in the bathtub walls, etc. The walls are VERY thin, as to be expected with old buildings, but I did get a bit tired of hearing my neighbors and everyone in the halls.

We were awoken by the police violently banging on our door at 2:30 am, by the time I pulled myself out of dreamland and dressed, the cops had already discovered they were looking for someone in another room, but then they proceeded to interrogate the man right outside my door and I could hear every word. Needless to say, I hardly got any sleep which made for difficult sight seeing the next day.

The clincher for me was when I went to grab breakfast in the morning and asked the other lady at the front desk what was going on the night before. I felt as though I was being accused when she said to me: "well you're in room 204, didn't you have a domestic disturbance last night?"

My jaw about hit the floor. Not only did I not get any sleep because the hotel directed the police to the wrong room, but I was then accused of being the person causing the disturbance. My husband and I were not happy. A simple "I'm sorry for the mix-up and keeping you awake all night" would have sufficed and left a better taste in my mouth.

I may come back to Martha's Vineyard, but certainly not back to Vineyard Square.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Norwalk, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2011

My girlfriend and I had a great stay at Vineyard Square Hotel. The staff was very friendly and helpful, they made great recommendations of things to do and restaurants. They even gave us a bottle opener when we failed to have one on-hand. Limited parking available upon asking but there was plenty of spots on the street at this time of year in Martha's Vineyard. The Newes pub across the street has great food and beverages, they brew there own beers. We chose the "cozy" rooms which were nice but a bit tight for two people. We would definitely stay there again but would chose the queen size bed. Overall, it was a very nice updated hotel in the heart of Edgartown, the ocean view was amazing! The food in MV was great and the people are very friendly as well. It doesn't get more relaxing than that...

Room Tip: Ask for parking availability if you decide to take your car over. Martha's Vineyard is an islan...
Audubon, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011

This was a beautiful hotel and in the best location possible. However there was no parking and some days we drove and drove trying to find one.
The room was beautifully decorated but needed a table and a second nightstand on which to place things. The room had only one dresser which held the TV and one nightstand which held the phone, so no place to even set the laptop (they did offer free wireless service so we could get online). The refrigerator also needed to be on a stand, not on the floor making us get on our knees every time we used it. There was no microwave in the room nor in the kitchen area, so we couldn't bring back meal leftovers and reheat them.
The staff was excellent, friendly and helpful.
The continental breakfast was the same I've had at a Quality Inn which was disppointing for this class of hotel.
The 4th floor had a wonderful balcony with rocking chairs that overlooked the harbor, and there were rocking chairs as well on the hotel's entrance porch.
The hotel restaurant is closed on Wednesdays.
The room windows opened which was nice for fresh air. There was a fireplace in the room and a wall a/c unit, which was rather noisy.

Room Tip: We were room 405 and had restuarant noise below our window each night from their kitchen and back en...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Manhattan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2011

My wife and I spent 2 nights on Martha's Vineyard, both at the Vineyard Square Hotel in Edgartown. Short answer - it was a great experience from arrival to departure.

We had a basic queen room but it had everything we wanted. Very large and clean bathroom, decent view, windows can open, air conditioning, etc.

We did not eat the hotel breakfast, but they do offer a basic complementary breakfast. There are a few good breakfast options around the area - twice we ate at Among the Flowers, which we highly recommend. The hotel has very nice Schwinn bikes available for free, which we used for few hours to bike to Oak Bluffs. The staff was perfect - only answered your questions when you asked (not intrusive).

Location is perfect, and from what I could tell the best location of all those hotels in Edgartown. Restaurants, bars, and shops were all within 5 minutes walking.

If we go back to Edgartown, we will stay here again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
VineyardSquare, General Manager at Vineyard Square Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, October 23, 2011
I'm so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. It sounds like you really took advantage of our great location to enjoy all that Edgartown and the rest of the Island has to offer, and you discovered my favorite breakfast spot at Among the Flowers. The bikes are a great way to explore a little more of the Island. I hope we can help you find more fun things to do on your next trip! We look forward to welcoming you back soon,
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2011

Took my wife to MV for her 50th Birthday and retirement. It was our first vist to the Vineyard. I wanted this to be special so I did a lot of research. I read almost every review on tripadvisor and a few other sites. I even called on multiple times and spoke to different front desk employees. All of them where very patient with my questions and answered them honestly. I ended up staying 6 days. Hotel in the HEART of Edgartown, very close to everything, shopping, eating, harbor, bus stop. When we checking in we where greeted with a smile and given the keys to our room. The hotel is 100 years old so things where smaller during that time peroid. Our room was on the 3rd floor, yes 3 flights of stairs. The front desk saw I was somewhat at a disadvantage with my arm in a sling and got another hotel employee to carry my bags up (I did tip as the bags where heavy and 3 flights enough said). We had a queen size bed I think. When I opened the door yes the room was small but we did not come to hang out in the room just rest in a safe, clean, comfortable place. The room was clean all except a few spots in the carpet. Due to it being end of season I could see how that could happen. Other than that very clean room (I am picky), bed slept well, nice decor. The next morning I did mention to the front desk employee the condition of the carpet. She apologized, confirmed, and moved us to the 4th floor. This room had a fireplace. The room was clean and more than made up for the spots on carpet in the original room. The 4th floor has a patio with about 6 rocking chairs and a very nice view of the harbor and shops (closes at 9pm in summer). The staff is very knowledgable of MV from eating, to sights, to transportaion, to shopping. VERY HELPFUL STAFF! I had even left my phone charger at home and they had a universal charger at the front desk. Again the staff always very helpful and pleasant. We have been Blessed to have been able to travel the world and stayed at 5 star hotels and resorts. While The Vinyard Square is not the poshest place we have ever stayed we also have never stayed at a place that is over 100 years old. The propery is VERY NICE, soothing decor colors in pastels, hardwood floors in halls. Nice front porch with about a dozen rocking chairs great for a adult beverage and people watching. If the Lord says the same we will be back in the future.

Room Tip: The more stairs the better the view. 4th floor is where the open patio is.Even if you dont stay on 4...
Dear Beenaroundtheworldx2,
What a lovely review - thank you for taking the time to write. I'm delighted to hear that everyone was so helpful during your planning as well as during your stay - we are very lucky to have such a wonderful staff here at Vineyard Square. It is true that occasionally our rooms show signs of the wear and tear of a busy season but I am glad that we were able to move you to more suitable accommodations and make up for the initial problem. The 4th floor porch is really a hidden gem - I love to pause there as I walk around the hotel and enjoy the peaceful atmosphere and great view.

I hope we can help you uncover some more hidden gems on your next visit.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2011

I have been planning a grand surprise for my wife's 40th B-Day and after several attempts to pick the right lodging location at Martha's Vineyard, I hit the Jackpot, Vineyard Square Hotel & Suites, and Janice was a great sales person in persuading me in picking this location. It was simply perfect. The location, accomodation, staff and dining options were excellent, a definate location I would recommend.

Room Tip: All rooms have a colonial feel, cant lose.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Dear Rawle M,
It is great to hear that Janice was able to help you plan a great surprise for your wife. It's so fun to be included in these special occasions! I hope that we will see you again in the near future. Please feel free to reach out directly if I can help with planning your next trip! joanne@vineyardsquarehotel.com
Water Mill, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011 via mobile

A group of 32 stayed at this hotel touring gardens on Martha's Vineyard. Renovated lovely rooms, excellent group sales director, helpful front desk in perfect location in Edgartown. Walk to Chappy ferry for tour of My Toi, beautiful Japanese-styled garden. Real treat.

• Stayed September 2011
Dear nytours,
We so enjoyed your group when they visited. They really took advantage of our central location to explore all that Edgartown and the Island have to offer. I hope we will see many of you return individually and maybe as a group again in the near future,
Joanne Sardini

Been to Vineyard Square Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!