“Lovely ,underrated hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Clarion Inn Martha's Vineyard

You added Clarion Inn Martha's Vineyard to your Saves list
Clarion Inn Martha's Vineyard
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   227 Upper Main St, Edgartown, Martha's Vineyard, MA 02539   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Edgartown
warrenton ,va
“Lovely ,underrated hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

This small and friendly hotel is close-in and within walking distance to town. There is also a supermarket next door along with a sub shop and an upscale dining facility. What more could one ask?
Well, for starters, contrary to other reports, the staff is extremely friendly and accommodating. Check in is quick and efficient . They easily changed me from a second floor room to my current one (104) ,right by the breakfast room and desk. My fears of noise never materialized and the convenience is great.
The room, itself is spacious,spotless and very comfortable with a large queen bed and a fluffy, warm ,comforter. The bathroom likewise, clean, spacious with a large bathtub equipped with multiple grab rales (this is a wonderful safety feature needed, but not found,in most hotels.
The free breakfast is in a large day room with TV . The food consists of juices, coffee/tea, English muffins, fruit and pancakes. (More than adequate). Even though the hours are 7-10, I noticed the staff stopping cleanup to accommodate a late arriving family. That doesn't happen often either.
Lots of convenient free parking is a plus also. The free international is easily accessed and the day room has a free computer and printer.SO nice to have!!!
For the money and convenience, this is the place to stay on the Vineyard as nothing on the island is far away.

Room Tip: First floor more convenient as no elevator. Loved 104 close to lobby but still quiet
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

My partner and I stayed at the hotel for a week in the off-peak season (Nov 2013). The hotel is situated right next to the Stop and Shop supermarket so it is very convenient if you want to stock-up on your late night snacks. From the hotel, it is a pleasant 10 minute walk to “downtown” Edgartown. If that is too much, you can always catch the bus that runs past the front of the hotel.

We stayed in a first floor corner room, which I believe is one of the hotel's larger rooms. The room consists of a double bed, a couch and coffee table, a work desk and chair, bedside tables and a closet to hang your coats. There is also a room safe but there is an extra fee per night if you want to use it. The room itself was pleasantly decorated and was clean and tidy. The bathroom was also clean and had a large sink/vanity, toilet and shower/bath. It comes with the usual selection of small bottles of shampoo/conditioners and soap. The shower works well and you're always assured of a good refreshing wash.

Being a corner room, it can be a little cold at night during the winter months. The room heater worked well but the fan was far too noisy to leave on for any length of time. It was noisy enough that you had to turn up the TV more than a couple of notches. It was a matter of heating up the room while we were out and turning the heating off when we came back in the evening.

The room came equipped with a bar fridge, a drip filter coffee-making machine and a microwave (rather handy for heating your leftovers if you get peckish late at night). The TV was a large flat screen unit and there was a good selection of channels. Free WiFi was available but its performance was a little patchy at times and depended on the number of guests using it during the evening.

Our hotel package included breakfast. This was a basic continental breakfast with boxed cereals, coffee/tea, muffins/cakes, fruit and pancakes (from a pancake making machine). I would skip the hotel breakfast and head into town unless you are feeling lazy. I recommend grabbing breakfast at Dock Street Coffee Shop where the food is deliciously bad for you (the menu includes French toast with bacon or bacon and eggs sunny side up… yummy!!). Being winter, many of the shops around Edgartown are closed for the season. Of those that are open, I would recommend visiting Espresso Love, Sharky's Cantina, Soigne, and the Newes. I also recommend the Artcliffe Diner (Vineyard Haven) and Linda Jeans (Oak Bluffs).

The only negative comment that I have about the hotel is the poor sound proofing. Being off season, the hotel seemed to be playing host to out-of-town workers staying on the Island temporarily. They can be a noisy and an inconsiderate mob, making far too much noise late in the evening and first thing in the morning, way too early for me.

Other than that, I cannot fault the hotel for its convenient location, comfortable rooms, affordable price and pleasant staff.

Room Tip: Take the rooms upstairs.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
South Weymouth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

On the Vineyard during a weekend when hotel rooms were as scarce as chicken lips. Booked a room at the Clarion apprehensively but were delighted to find it was top notch. Nice clean rooms, friendly staff and located within walking distance of downtown Edgartown, grocery stores, restaurants and a very short drive to the beach. We would do this again absolutely!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Waitsfield, Vermont
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

When the only remaining available rooms in Edgartown were at the Clarion, I was a bit worried. Having stayed at a not so great Clarion in the past, I continued checking in hopes of cancelations at other locations making rooms available. I was quite pleasantly surprised, however, when I finally arrived at the Clarion. The staff were extremely pleasant, efficient and helpful. The rooms were clean and comfortable. My stay was far better than I expected, and less costly than other equally comfortable accordant ions in the past. My only real regret was the location. Not much to look at for the room window. Otherwise, this was a good place to stay!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Boston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

We stayed at this hotel as we travelled through New England. It was clean and comfortable and certainly worth commenting on. We did not eat here at night though as we hopped into town instead. The grocery store was well placed.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Fuquay-Varina, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013 via mobile

After reading varied reviews of the B&Bs, chose the consistency of a chain hotel. Was pleasantly surprised, as the rom were much better than the reviews I read. Hotel close to town and the staff very friendly. Would definitely stay there again. Grocery store across parking lot and the restaurant was excellent

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Delray Beach, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

I have traveled quite a bit in my lifetime and do choose quality hotels in which to stay.

I booked a flight on line and hit what I thought was the Clarion site to book my stay. It was more expensive than a Residence( Marriott) in Boca Raton, FL we stayed at last year during their season.

The Clarion is old. The sink was cracked. The toilet leaked. The ceilings sound like they are made of paper. One night, the person upstairs must have been an insomniac, as I could hear the bed seek from his tossing and turning all night. I did not fall asleep until 2AM and was awoken again by upstairs person at 4 . I recorded it. I when I mentioned this to the front desk, she was very cold and indifferent. All she kept saying was, I booked through a third party, there is nothing she can do. ?????? I thought I booked direct, I had no idea. But to be treated with such disdain was unacceptable.

An isolated occurrence? No. The night before leaving, I made a land line call. Since I had to get up very early, when I went to the front desk to pay cash for the call....same indifference because I paid through a third party. ??????? It was a different person, and he did figure out how I could pay for the call in cash and actually gave me a receipt.

Yes, they offer breakfast....for these prices they darn well should. Anyway...the first morning I was there was a rainy cold day...And they had 2 windows open for my " enjoyment" .

The attitude of the staff leaves much to be desired, as does the condition of the hotel. I tripped 3 times walking in the front door...the steps were not marked properly.

Room Tip: Get a different hotel
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Been to Clarion Inn Martha's Vineyard? Share your experiences!