“Good hotel, good location and helpful staff” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Clarion Inn Martha's Vineyard

Save Saved
You added Clarion Inn Martha's Vineyard to your Saves list
Clarion Inn Martha's Vineyard
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   227 Upper Main St, Edgartown, Martha's Vineyard, MA 02539   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #5 of 5 hotels in Edgartown
San Diego, California
“Good hotel, good location and helpful staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2011

Booked a large room with two Queen beds and was not disappointed. It was a bit pricey but overall good value. Room was clean, quiet and everything in working condition. The wifi is definitely a great plus! Location was good. There is a grocery store next door and a DQ across the street. It is a 15-minute easy walk to downtown. From the hotel and facing Main Street, you want to make a left to go to downtown. Staff was helpful with local information.

Please note that there is no elevator at this hotel. There is a safe in the room. There is no gym. A walk to downtown and back is about 1.5miles.

Transportation around town/island: Island's complimentary bus service (#11) stops outside the hotel (just about anywhere you needed it). It is a loop service between downtown Edgartown and just pass the Post Office square. Really convenient and seems to run every 10 min. Bus #1 and 13 stops just pass the grocery store (towards Vineyard Havens/Oak Bluff). Fare is between $1/pp and $2/pp depending on destination. Fare to Oak Bluff was $2/pp. Bus was convenient. We bought a day pass for $7/pp and went around the whole island! If you come in from Oak Bluffs, you can take the #13 bus and it will take you in front of the hotel. Just let the driver know and s/he will be more than happy to drop you off as close to it as possible. You can also take this bus to the "Jump the Bridge" bridge. Kids seem to have fun jumping off the bridge.

Food: Ate at Seafood Shanty (kind of pricey but expected. Good food. Service was a bit slow but we weren't in a hurry and got a table with a nice view of the harbor. At this meal, I learned that just because the lobster is bigger (2lb or more) doesn't mean there is more to eat...just a bigger head which is not edible by most and more expensive!. Go for the smaller one. Also ate at The Wharf on Main the next night which was good. The best meal we had was at the Edgartown Seafood. It's not a restaurant. It's seafood market but they can cook for you. Everything we ordered was cooked to perfection and super fresh. We took our food back to the hotel and ate at the dining. We had the best lobster - quarters ($9/lb) and fried sea scallops (comes in small/medium/large order sizes). We had the medium size (about 10 large scallops) and it was the best we have ever had. We were hoping to go back for dinner but we missed it by 10 min.

We visited Oak Bluffs which appears to be a little bit more touristic than Edgartown. And they don't have a Edgartown Seafood so I will have to stay in Edgartown next time.

We visited Aquinnah via the bus service. We had to change bus three times but it was easy and economical (used my $7 day pass)! In Aquinnah, we visited the light house and the beach. The view from the light house was awesome. The beach is great.

If I were to visit Aquinnah again, I'd definitely go to Memensha which is only 5-10min bus ride from Chilmark. You change to the #4 bus at the Chilmark Store (Vineyard Havens via Memensha). I had hoped to go to Larsen's Seafood Market after reading great reviews on Tripadvisor.

We stayed in MV for a day and half which was a bit short but gave us a taste of what it is like. Next time we will stay longer and definitely in Edgartown. I think it has better downtown with more shops and restaurants.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

83 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
North Hampton, New Hampshire, USA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

My daughter, age 6 and me decided to do an over-night bike trip to the Vineyard. We arrived in Oaks Bluff on Thursday and biked to the Clarion (about 5-6 miles). All we had was our bikes, backpacks and our reservation for a one-night stay. We checked into the hotel and put our bikes on their bike rack. I mentioned to the gentleman at the desk that we had our bikes and did not have a lock. He told me that the bikes should be safe on their bike rack. There were other bikes on the bike rack some locked, some not locked. On Friday morning when my daughter and I went out to get ready to leave, I noticed that my bike was gone. When I went into the hotel the women at the front desk were not helpful and could care less that I and my 6 year old would have difficulty in making it to the ferry. They didn't even want to call the police for me until I asked them to call the police. They offered nothing to help me in my situation. I asked for the manager and he was just as lame as the ladies. I was extremely frustrated and a bit bewildered at how I was going to get myself and my daugher and my daughter's bike back to the Ferry. After going back to our room, we got a call from the front desk offering a bus ticket. Nice :-) Two backpacks a bike and a 6 year-old. I proceeded to call a van. The total cost of the van was $20. In my confusion about my bike, to make matters worse I left my cell phone plugged into the charger in the room. The hotel again offered absolutely no help or assitance. It cost me $40 to get the phone. Not only did I loose a bike worth about $1200 but the hotel room cost me an additional $60. If the staff was more helpful and cared about my loss I would not have taken the time to write this, but I can tell you - lock your bike no matter what they say and if you need anything... don't bother the front desk cause they could care less if you need help.

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel....
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2011

I cancelled my reservation with this hotel about a month prior to the stay date. I, unfortunately, did not keep my confirmation number and I have since found out that they didn't put me into their system. They will not honor my cancellation and refuse to remove the one night charge. I am horrified at their refusal to do the right thing (and how they questioned my integrity) and will NEVER stay at their hotel. I was very disappointed at their EXTREMELY POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE. I have learned a lesson to ALWAYS keep your confirmation number. I hope anyone reading this takes note and decides to stay at a different hotel -- there are plenty of them to choose from on this beautiful island. Just don't stay at this hotel. I have learned my lesson.

Stayed April 2011
New York, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2010

The Clarion was a good hotel - nothing too fancy but it was costly (then again most hotels in Martha's Vineyard are costly)
The location couldn't have been greater though and the breakfast in the morning was ok - nothing special but good enough.
I would definitely go back again!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Cliffside Park, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2010

We had a pleasant 3-day stay at the Clarion in Edgartown, at the height of tourist season. Management accommodated my request to be on the first floor. The rooms were very large and pleasantly decorated. The continental breakfast was simple but sufficient. It was a fairly quiet hotel and it really made the trip a pleasure!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Glasgow
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2010

We chose this hotel based on previous reviews and were not disappointed.
A perfect location, a short walk from town and on the main road into Edgartown.
We found the staff pleasant and helpful.
The restaurant next door (The Grill) is worth a visit.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Wooster, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2010

After canceling a lease at a dumpty cottage we were fortunate to get a room for three nights at the Clarion. While a bit pricing the room was immaculate and the beds were comfortable. We then moved into town to the Kelley House which was in a better location but also a bit more expensive. Can't go wrong staying at the Clarion.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Been to Clarion Inn Martha's Vineyard? Share your experiences!