“extraordinarily special and unique” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Charlotte Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Edgartown
The Charlotte Inn
You added The Charlotte Inn to your Saves list
27 South Summer St, PO Box 1056, Edgartown, Martha's Vineyard, MA 02539   |
Ranked #1 of 11 Edgartown B&B and Inns
“extraordinarily special and unique”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

I have visited The Charlotte Inn many times over the years, and it remains our favorite romantic destination. The stunningly restored architecture, impeccable period decor, and meticulously maintained grounds have historic character that put the inn in a class by itself. The service is warm and personal, and yet gracious and refined. I cannot imagine what a labor of love it must have been to create this masterpiece of a setting, down to every elegant and authentic detail.

I am amazed by how flawlessly maintained the property is: gleaming brass and chrome, glossy paint, spotless walls and floors: how do they do it?

And the location is unsurpassed, on a quiet street but right in town and just a few steps to the shops, restaurants, galleries, and harbor.

All the staff, from the owners to the housekeepers, are so warm and helpful; I really have the sense that it is their pleasure to be of service. And the resident golden retrievers, Barclay and Nikki, wearing a necktie and bow respectively, are so sweet and well- trained.

It's a small thing, but I do love the Bulgari "green tea" toiletries. I normally don't use scented products, but there is something about the fragrance of these that transports me into heaven.

I also appreciate all the ways the staff go out of their way to guide us to the experiences we want to have on the island, including making available such a deluxe fitness center and spa. We loved relaxing and playing bocci and shuffleboard with our friends.

The inn is a peaceful, relaxing, luxurious refuge where I feel completely pampered and transported a million miles away from the hustle and worries of everyday life. Much gratitude to the innkeepers and staff for their creativity and dedication. I look forward to the next enchanting visit.

Room Tip: Each room is unique. I love the Coach House!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

Excellent experience here. The gracefully executed details are what make The Charlotte Inn so special...a hand-written reservation confirmation, a hand-written "welcome" note left in my room, beautifully decorated common areas, and a myriad of little nooks/sitting areas all over the property.

I only ate at the restaurant for a quick breakfast, but the food and service were still both excellent.

I look forward to recommending this property to friends and family and also look forward to returning in the future.

Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Paula C, Owner at The Charlotte Inn, responded to this review, May 15, 2014
We're so pleased you enjoyed your stay, and took time to relax in some of the special nooks and sitting areas around the property. We hope to see you again soon!
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

We purchased our weekend at the inn at a benefit, so hasn't selected a room . We were greeted warmly, and shown a room which, while lovely, was a bit smaller than we like. When I went to the desk to ask for a larger room, and offered to pay for the upgrade, we promptly got a bigger room for no charge. That set the tone for our whole visit. They couldn't do enough to make us happy, but with a friendly informality rather than the stuffiness one finds at some fine inns.

The decor is outstanding. Everything glistens and is very tasteful. Having a first class restaurant and beautiful gardens didn't hurt either.

This place is everything a fine inn should be.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Paula C, Owner at The Charlotte Inn, responded to this review, May 15, 2014
It was our pleasure to welcome you to The Charlotte Inn, and we're glad you experienced Chef Justin's magic at the Terrace restaurant while you were here. We hope to see you again soon.
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

This was the 5th or 6th time we have stayed at the Charlotte Inn. Architecture is typical of the grand Edgartown "sea captains' houses" but the Inn goes well beyond typical in the attention that has been given to the decor, the details, and the maintenance of multiple buildings and grounds. The original owners are on the property every day and nothing has ever been allowed to fall below their lofty expectations. If you have ever been to (and admired) the flagship Ralph Lauren store on Madison Ave, this is your chance to spend a few days in that placid grandeur (but Charlotte Inn was doing it this before that flagship store was opened, so who copied whom?) You really do feel like you are in a different and more genteel world when here, even though Edgartown's main streets are a half-block away. We have stayed in four different rooms here, from very small to the largest, all are exquisitely furnished and maintained, not just the large furnishings, but the details down to the bathroom fixtures or the dressing table sets that might grace a table or dresser in your room. This is truly a special place to stay, romantic, quiet, with plenty of places to sit and read or converse, and the restaurant is excellent, among the very best in MV. It's expensive but I guarantee that you can see just how much money continues to be invested in the property to keep up the high standards.

Room Tip: Rooms vary greatly in size; the front desk can be helpful with more information as to each room'...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Paula C, Owner at The Charlotte Inn, responded to this review, May 15, 2014
We're so glad you enjoy all the period details at the Inn—the dresser sets are some of our favorite touches. We look forward to your next visit!
Newton, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014 via mobile

A friend of mine and I went for a getaway weekend. My friend had been at the Inn before but it was my first visit. What a gem. The staff could not have been nicer, our room was neat and clean and very charming. We ate in the dining room our first night and the food/service was outstanding. I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed December 2013
Paula C, Owner at The Charlotte Inn, responded to this review, May 15, 2014
We're so glad you and your friend enjoyed your stay and your dinner at the Terrace. Till the next time!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

We are personally offended by this one seemingly "hatred generated" review of the Charlotte Inn.
We have been guests at the Inn on repeated occasions since 2005. If you find yourself in a setting of elegance and finery -embrace it accordingly. in July ( busy MV tourist season) or September (off season) the Charlotte Inn is refined. ( Refined with a capital "R"). As soon as one reaches the main entrance a "please no cell phone use on the premises" is clearly visible. A bit of very tasteful peace and quiet. The attendants-responsible for luggage....are "shy" (?)....seemingly "afraid"....I would say careful-reserved-their behavior(s) completely in keeping with the overall "essence" that is the Charlotte Inn. ( Honestly- I have no problem handling my own 2 night "baggage" on my own). The grounds are immaculately maintained-there are no muddy spots where anyone's belongings would be left to sit.
At this point I'll say I am Jewish-antisemitism is still rampant worldwide- Maybe most "Yankee" places hate anyone Jewish....Point taken....If you approach life experiences, travel, overnights, inn adventures---with a chip on your shoulder--there will always be room for unfounded, unreasonable criticism.
Dining peacefully by a fireplace in this setting- we do not expect an game of monopoly-or cards
nearby- ( maybe at a Holiday or Hampton Inn- but never here )....and we do take care walking stairways, in our beautiful room laden with antique decanters, boudoir sets of combs, brushes and bottles---to not accidentally break anything----these accoutrements are part of the overall Charlotte Inn mystique- not to be construed as a message of "you're not welcome."
The very negative review truly feels like someone's personal vendetta/bad day- really unfortunate for those of us that returned to this uniquely special place year after year, having experiencing kid glove treatment and the finest in care and service.

Room Tip: We love Room #18 as well as the Carriage House
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Paula C, Owner at The Charlotte Inn, responded to this review, May 15, 2014
We are so glad you enjoy the relaxing atmosphere and the Charlotte Inn "mystique"; we look forward to seeing you on your next visit.
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

After given time to reflect on this, I apologize for bringing Eliot and his wife into this conversation. That was not my intention. I definitely am not the writer that Eliot and his wife are.

This review reflects me alone. I have attempted to remove the previous review, but the current rules don't allow removal of a previous post. So consider this review my replacement.

You're right. I felt I was treated very differently than many others at the inn. My fiance saw it also. I can't tell if it's because I was perceived as a different race, a younger age (33 y/o), a different gender, a less refined person, a poorer person, etc. I definitely work 60-80 weeks as a physician and don't have the luxury that others do to take super fancy trips without a care in the world.

I can say that I haven't felt this way since being in Mississippi. I generally get along very well in my role as a Boston physician managing large groups of people in new and different situations daily--from life threatening, to sad, to crying, to fearful, to consoling. I'm often told that I have more empathy than most. And perhaps in a very academic and diverse environment which respects people for their knowledge and insight, I got used to being respected as a person.

I arrived with two other friends (who just happen to not be white). My fiance and Eliot and his wife arrived at a later time.

As opposed to Eliot's arrival, we were not greeted curbside. We carried our heavy luggage up the walkway to the front door where we were met with confusion. We advised the woman that we had reservations. We were advised to leave our luggage on the dirt and gravel bed next to the walkway OUTSIDE of the house and then were allowed to go up the stairs and enter the building. There was no one attending our luggage as it sat in the front yard for 15-20 minutes.

When we were shown around the inn, we passed a brandy decanter with clean glasses that looked like it was set up for guests to enjoy in the sitting room. I specifically asked if this was complimentary. I specifically was told in a very loud and direct voice that drinks could be PURCHASED and were NOT complimentary. I specifically noted white guests drinking from the free standing decanter that night and during the entire stay.

When the receptionist showed us to our rooms, the receptionist assumed that we would soil or knock over the ornate pictures on the wall next to the stairs. We are not large people. We all have a BMI around 22, significantly less than other guests. We were surprisingly asked to move our small purses from the right shoulder to the left when ascending the stairs. I was then asked to move my purse from the right shoulder to the left when descending the stairs. None of the other guests were asked to do this. I specifically brought this to the attention of the owners, and they had no good answer why we were chosen to move our purses.

When I arrived at my room, the man helping me with my bags was super nice, but appeared fearful that he was not allowed to talk (he was not white). So he whispered like a scared mouse, "I hope you enjoy your stay." That was odd.

During the second evening, we did have a disagreement about the ability to play cards in the common room downstairs. We were allowed to do that the first evening. The next evening, we were told this was not possible without explanation. Perhaps we were louder than a retired 65+ crowd not worried about Medicare changes, but we were NOT crazy by any means. We were not dancing. We were not playing music. We were playing cards. (In fact, we were hoping to play monopoly since the inn promised us they had it. But alas, they were missing critical pieces of their game.) If I wanted to lounge lazily in front of a fire and sleep, then I would have stayed at home with my iPad and large soaking tub.

When I complained about internet not working (My patients expect to communicate with me by internet regularly. I don't have the luxury of tuning out the world when I want to.), I was simply told that "it was working." In fact, the internet did not work the entire time in the extra $100 a night summer house room. If you look in previous reviews, this same complaint has been vocalized and not addressed.

When we were checking out of the inn, the owner almost tripped over himself trying to get to my fiance who is a very good-looking older white male. Then the owner talked to him for 30+ minutes. Not knowing that I was with my fiance (because we had arrived separately), the owner walked by me 2-3 times with barely a nod (and he was like 1 foot away).

I am happy to discuss this with the owners, but they are not receptive.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Paula C, Owner at The Charlotte Inn, responded to this review, May 15, 2014
We strive to provide a warm welcome for all our guests, and we're sorry your stay didn't leave you feeling welcome and valued. We're disappointed when we don't succeed at our intention.

We suggest that travelers read the review by Elliot below, "Excellent service, fantastic food, important clarification" for another perspective on some of the same events.

Been to The Charlotte Inn? Share your experiences!