“Unbeatable Dining in Edgartown.” 5 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 56 Restaurants in Edgartown
Cuisines: American, French, Contemporary
Good for: Romance, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Oak Bluffs, Massachusetts
“Unbeatable Dining in Edgartown.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

My husband is a chef (we own a restaurant in the neighboring town) and when he's not working, he loves to be pampered and well fed- needless to say L'etoile is our go-to spot whenever we have a rare night off.
The staff is friendly and attentive, great selection of wines, interesting fun cocktails, and the food.... well... where do I start? I think we've had just about everything on the menu and it's all completely amazing- so I'll mention some highlights:
They do oysters 2 ways- one is chilled with an incredible mignonette. The other is bathed in a warm rose Champagne burre blanc and is absolutely to die for... we get at least a dozen each visit- I've never had anything so incredible.
Their Scallop Ceviche is a gorgeous presentation of thinly sliced sea scallops with light citrus, radish slivers, and these incredible pink grapefruit pearls. another thing we always get. Braised Short Ribs Tony Meyer's style are melt in your mouth amazing, and the Coconut oil poached Halibut is everything I love about Halibut plus everything I love about cooking with coconut oil- just the faintest suggestion of coconut in each bite. It's served on Flavorful but not overwhelming carrot-ginger risotto- delightful summer entree. The Long Island Duck is also amazing- with black truffle, foie gras, and fresh pistachio ravioli- it's impossible not to love.
The desserts at L'etoile are also our of this world- my recent favorite is the Bruleed Apricot on Angel food cake- holy yum!
The atmosphere here is hard to beat- the indoor dining room is comfortable and tastefully decorated, and the outdoor dining area is wonderful on a pleasant night- lots of greenery and lights that twinkle making you feel like you're under the stars.
I guess I ought to add a little disclaimer that I count a few of their staff as friends- but no one asked me to write this review, and I honestly wouldn't waste my time (or my husband's, which is far more precious when our own restaurant is open) dining somewhere that I wasn't 100% sure we'd have a great time and outstanding food.
I give L'etoile my highest recommendation and I can't wait to go back!

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

New York City, New York
“Charming Perfection”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

This has become our favorite restaurant in Edgartown. The staff is friendly and attentive and every morsel of food that was served was devoured and enjoyed thoroughly. A lovely restaurant in a lovely town.

Visited July 2013
Palm Springs, California
“A simple fan would suffice!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

I have had a few meals at L'etoile over the past couple of years. My aunt is a regular. It's amazing the difference in service when you know someone. On this occasion dining on with my spouse, we were treated more like your average tourist (primarily by the host). Not so good when your paying the $$ they ask for. The setting is charming. A gorgeous old house plunked in the middle of a Norman Rockwell Painting. Picture perfect. The food is creative but not too try hard. A good selection of wine. On this night we had the Chefs tasting menu. ($99/pp +$32 w/ wine). We were seated outside in a covered courtyard. Lovely if it wasn't 85 degrees and 90% humidity! It was like a sauna! No fans! No air! It really took away from the meal. Granted, I'm from CA where it's dryer, but nonetheless, a restaurant like this, in this climate, should at least have a few fans for nights like this. When you make a reservation, be sure to sit inside!

• Visited July 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Edgartown, Massachusetts
“Two strikes.....you're out”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

Last year we had a horrible experience at L'etoile. Since we always love the food, we gave it another chance tonight. unfortunately, tonight was a worse experience and we will never go back again. We waited one hour for our main course. When the dishes finally arrives, my fois gras was cold and my husbands steak was raw, When i asked for a manager, the employees didnt who the manager was. The chef/owner refused to come out and apologize plus he insisted we pay for our glasses of wine. We ended up leaving without dinner. Dont risk this restaurant. It is too expensive for this treatment,

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Norwalk, California
“2012 Annual Meeting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

Our group had the Annual Dinner at l'etoile, it was a great experience, the food and the friendly service was out of this world. Dinner started with the welcome reception, they enjoyed the drinks including the Startini a delicious drink created by l'etoile then it was time for dinner which began with a signature Oyster served hot and cold then a asparagus soup served with crab then a warm baby spinach salad then came time for the entree; I chose the surf and turf which was DELICIOUS!! I also want to thank the friendly staff and the wonderful Chef/Owner Michael Brisson who made this experience unique!

Thank you so very much!