A friend & I recently went up for an early fall weekend getaway and stayed at the quaint Jonathan Monroe House. Such a fun trip & such a great place to stay!
Amber (the manager) was an amazing hostess with great suggestions for restaurants/coffee shops, where to get the best ice cream or the most delish lobster roll and ideas for exploring the island (even beyond Edgartown). She was super easy to talk to and made you feel instantly at home & welcome (she's also a yoga instructor and teaches at several locations on the island). On her recommendation, we walked out to lighthouse beach - amazingly clear and clean water & just a beautiful place to relax for a while. Its such a quick trip and a must if you stay here!
The location could not be beat, right on Main street across from the Whaling Church (felt VERY New England & authentic!) and just blocks from nice restaurants, fun bars with live music & dancing - which made for great people watching on a Saturday night, and tons of cute little island shops. And, its also really close to the beach!
My room (#1) was very tidy with a big comfy bed, a nice white comforter & cozy fireplace. The arrangement of dahlias fresh from a local farmer's market was a really nice touch! I must admit I was a little apprehensive about being on the ground floor since I do like to sleep in a bit, but I was not disturbed at all by anyone else coming or going and managed to get some much needed rest while we were there.
I definitely plan to go back in the summer and intend to take full advantage of all the high season on Martha's Vineyard has to offer, would absolutely stay at Jonathan Monroe House again.
- Also Known As:
- Jonathan Munroe House Hotel Edgartown
- Jonathan Munroe House Hotel
- Jonathan Munroe House Edgartown, MA - Martha's Vineyard
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome! Entering the Jonathan Munroe House is like stepping into the 18th century just as this wonderful home was being completed. Everything but the original charm has been replaced or updated to meet your 20th-century expectations. Six rooms in all, each with its own private bath and each with its own history alluding to the past, when Jonathan Munroe and his family lived and entertained in grand fashion. Proudly located in the heart of Edgartown Village, the Jonathan Munroe House provides its own entertainment by allowing guests to stroll to the bustling harbor front activities, the Lighthouse Beach, the Island's finest restaurants and shops, four churches and the (not-to-be-missed) Vineyard Museum just a block away. Your innkeepers and staff promise you a comfortable and memorable stay on the Vineyard and we're confident the Jonathan Munroe House will be your destination on future visits. ... more less