“A little piece of Heaven” 5 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Harborside Inn to your Saves list
and 1 more site!
Harborside Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3 South Water St, Edgartown, Martha's Vineyard, MA 02539   |
Ranked #4 of 5 hotels in Edgartown
East Hampstead, New Hampshire
“A little piece of Heaven”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2011

The Harborside Inn is a beautiful place to stay on the Vineyard. Visited Martha's Vineyard several years ago and stayed at the Harborside Inn. Immediately went to the front desk and asked for a list of units available to purchase. When we went home we were able to purchase one. We go back every year during the 39th week. This time of year is a much quieter time but the restaurants are still open and the stores also.
The Harborside Inn is a very beautiful place. It is so very well taken care of by the loving hands of the staff. There isn't a thing that they won't go out of their way to do for you. From the first minute when you walk into the entry way you are greeted with a smile and treated wonderfully. The staff always looks out for you and will do everything possible to make your stay at the facility a happy one. The manager is a great guy and very low key. He assists all of the owners and the guests with total respect and goes out of his way to make sure that your stay is a happy one.
Harborside is located right on the harbor and you look over to Chappaquidick island. It is a beautiful location right in the center of Edgartown and the shops and restaurants are within walking distance. There is an outdoor heated pool, a hot tub and other amenities for the guests. Many of the rooms are in old homes that hold a lot of history, but the rooms have been renovated beautifully and are clean, comfortable and beautifully appointed. As I titled this piece it is a little piece of heaven on the Vineyard.

Upon reading the other reviews, I have to laugh at the negative ones. It appears that some people don't like to follow rules. Yes, absolutely The Harborside Inn has rules and yes they need to be followed for the safety of everyone. What is the problem with that? Absolutely nothing.
If you want to enjoy a great time on Martha's Vineyard stay at the Harborside Inn in Edgartown and you will not want to leave and just cannot wait for the next time you can come back to visit.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family

77 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Denver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2011

We stayed at The Harborside Inn, which is in the midst of things in Edgartown. It sits on the edge of a gorgeous residential neighborhood which is fun to wander and look at the beautiful homes and gardens. The Harborside is a very nice place, especially if you can reserve a balcony room with a full-on view of the harbor. The lodging we had was in one of three historic whaling captains' homes, which are very well-maintained and charming.

Our room was good-sized, with a relatively new bathroom. The ceiling fan and A/C kept it cool, plus its beautiful little private balcony provided extra space. We were extremely pleased with it, having read a negative review on TripAdvisor that the hotel was dated and rooms extremely small, which was NOT our experience.

Room Tip: Reserve ahead, to get a balcony center room.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Sunset Beach, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2011

Have visited several times and love the location. Right in the middle of Edgartown and our room (355) had a great view of the harbor. All of the shopping and places to eat are within walking distance. Were there for July 4th and watched town fireworks from our balcony. Staff was great. Room has been updated recently and is much improved from past visits. Since this is also a timeshare, it is a family friendly resort. You don't need a car as the bus service is great and covers the entire island.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2011

Read earlier review from 2004 for additional perspective from another person - this is the same guy and I have had issues with this same gentleman (I use the term lightly here) each of my three years staying at this Hotel (@$400+ night) and it seems to get worse each year. Also note that the GM's response in 2004 (albeit appreciated that there was an actual response) is bunk, since it is this same security guard and his warped sense of self-importance and condensing attitude toward those of us out having a good time that fills out the "security log" he referrers to. This guy thinks anyone out past dark enjoying a couple of cocktails is "trouble". This is Martha's Vineyard in July for pete’s sake.

Three years ago, one of my friends rode his bike slowly down the path to visit me at my room, there is a sign at the top that asks people to walk their bikes. This self-delusional jerk comes running after him literally yelling that he ignored his "orders" and he had the "power" to evict me, blah, blah, blah and actually got into my friends face because he did not immediately beg for his mercy (I am only slightly exaggerating here folks)....again for slowly riding a bike on the path...there are certainly better ways to handle this. In the end he admitted that he was mad because he "felt disrespected", I mean again, get over yourself.

Two years ago, the person with whom I was sharing my room had his key no longer work late at night (due to a hotel error not his). Apparently this guy had to come (from home)and let him in but not without huge attitude because my friend had a few drinks in him - this was vacation on Martha's Vineyard after all (this was told to me 2nd hand so I wasn't there but I believe my friend especially given my previous experience).

The final straw (I will NEVER stay here again) this year was when we were coming back into the hotel from Main Street after the bars closed and our man was not right on his post (where he should have been if he was so concerned) so my friend walked throught the open walkway. This guy started yelling at and chasing after my friend to come back as he was already quite a way down the walkway before this guy got back, I stated that he was with me and I had my key out to prove that we were guests (I understand this is necessary at the time to keep the randoms out), but that wasn't good enough for him because again, he felt disrespected that my friend kept walking. Once I showed my proof that I was staying there, his job there was over, again, get over yourself. You don't need to make "your point" and I certainly don't have to listen to it. He actually told me to stop yelling at him when I was clearly just talking to him (which he admitted) after I said what yelling I am trying to have a conversation.

It is too bad because the grounds are beautiful and all other staff members that I dealt with were great and seemed to understand that they were working in a customer service business.

Like I said this was the final straw, I will never stay here again and come to the Vineyard every year (lived there for 8 summers and a couple of falls). A lot of people ask me about places to stay and eat on the Vineyard and I was always a big supporter of the Harborside (even after the year 1 & 2 crap) but no more.

Ruined a great place for me (an others from the sounds of some of the reviews) but I guess would be fine if you plan on being tucked into bed by 9.

I will echo that this resort is owner-centric (and many of the owners make sure you know they are owners) but I have no issue with that as the amenities provided for owners only are not advertised as for use by the guests.

Again, it’s a shame that one guy can shed such a poor light on this place.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Albany, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for 6 days in May. The rooms were clean with exceptional maid service. The grounds and pool area are meticulously cared for. We enoyed exploring the island. One of my favorite stops is the Chillmark Chocolate factory. My husband caught a 31" striper off the jetty in Menemsha. The clam chowder there is amazing. Edgartown is a great town for bikes. The cooking facilities at this resort are top notch. We will definitely return.

Room Tip: Get a balcony or Harborview
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Manahawkin, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2010

This was a Bidding for Good Auction purchase of a timeshare for one week. My husband and I wanted to see Martha's Vineyard again after a 36 year time period. This was a lucky buy and served our purposes of a base to sight see and go down memory lane. The motel room type unit housed in a converted classic Edgartown house was attractively decorated, comfortable, well furnished but right on Water St. The units have a refrigerator and adequate storage for a weeks stay. We stayed only 3 nights although we were entitled to a week, not a reflection on the hotel, but an indication of the time we wanted to spend touring the island again. It was quiet off season despite being on one the main streets. The Inn offers a heated pool, and inside hot tub, and kitchens for the use of the timeshare owners and their renters/guests. I did use the hot tub but the pool was covered primarily due to the weather I think. It is a heated pool and I was told it was open but it was not. There is a large lounge and deck overlooking the harbor, and a large well furnished room with game tables, and computer free to guests. The gardens were still lovely, and the Inn is beautifully decorated.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2010

This is primarily a timeshare, although I understand some use it as a hotel. We were RCI exchange guests, and as such (and this is the norm when you exchange your "home" timeshare with another one), we had a very small room compared with the actual "owners." (see photo). But it was very clean, comfortable, and well maintained. As it turned out, we spent less time in our room here than at any other timeshare we've been to. The reason we liked this place so well was because of the communal kitchen/dining area. There are approx 6 complete kitchens and maybe 15 or so refrigerators. It was thoroughly cleaned daily by the resort staff. The people who had that timeshare week (week 39) were absolutely the nicest people you could ask for. We got to know several that we still keep in touch with. The venue is perfect, right on the harbor and in the very midst of all the shopping and restaurants, and not far, within walking distance, of the bus stop where you can catch the VTA buses to every other town on the island (we left our car in Cape Cod due to the expensive ferry fee to bring it over). The Inn's staff was very helpful, particularly Mike, who often works the evening shift. There is a hair dryer, iron & ironing board, and flat screen TV in each room. You can get a DVD player from the desk staff at no charge. October is a wonderful month to visit: no crowds, although a few shops were closed, and no ferry from MV to Nantucket.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Harborside Inn? Share your experiences!