“Come for the Quiet, Stay for the Scones” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
New Year's Island Special
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Edgartown
A TripAdvisor Member
“Come for the Quiet, Stay for the Scones”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2006

We three friends indulged in a post Christmas visit to the Vineyard and stayed at the Hob Knob Inn. Perhaps it was the glow of the holiday or the fact that it's a quiet time of year on Isand, but the staff couldn't have been more accomodating. There wasn't a snob in sight!

Nicely decorated with trees and other festive touches, the public rooms on the first floor were comfy and tea by the fireside was lovely. Our room was utterly spotless and the luxury touches like the down comforters and Bose clock radio were just what three overscheduled and exhausted women needed. The inn arranged for us to have massages in a room on the basement level and the skill and care of the massuse was excellent.

What brings this rather late-in-the-game review are the Hob Knob Inn scones. I asked for, and they kindly gave me, the recipe to make them at home. When I finally got around to making them for Easter, the directions were a little vague so I emailed for clarification. What came by return post was a kind note and answers to all my questions. Is this a big deal? Not really, but it was a generous one that makes me think we'll return when the crowds are gone and the quiet descends back on the Island.

• Stayed December 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2006

We have stayed at the Hob Knob twice on short trips to the Vineyard. The first time we stayed, the inn was being extensively renovated which spoiled the experience somewhat.

Both times we stayed during the Easter Break and it was out of season on the Vineyard so the hotel was relatively quiet. Don't chose a room on the ground floor as they can be quite noisy due to the fact that they are near the entrance and I would imagine during peak season there is a lot of through traffic and they would not be very restful.

The Inn is beautiful but I totally agree with several of the other negative reviews, Maggie the owner can be rather unfriendly and aloof, in fact on one visit we found her down right hostile. You get the impression she is doing you a huge favour by allowing you to pay through the nose to stay at her Inn. There is a pervasive feeling of nothing getting in the way of making a buck at this establishment. Maggie herself checked us in and out on one of the visits and it was impossible to elicit a smile from her, this is not good business practice in my opinion. If the Inn was not so charming she would have to work a lot harder to attract guests. I did notice she was slightly less chilly towards her American guests. On the other hand, she had no problem allowing me to look at several rooms before checking in. The overall impression given in my opinion is that if you are wearing Nautica clothes and a Rolex and look like you are filthy rich, the owner approves of you but if you have less than 1.5 mill in the bank, you are there on sufference.

However, our first visit was somewhat coloured by the renovation work going on, I would have thought that the rates could have been reduced slightly to compensate for the inconvenience and noise.

On a more positive note, the room was spotlessly clean
(even the price tags on every article which extends even to the bathroom were pristine!). The bed was comfortable and as our room looked out onto the rear of the Inn, was quiet and peaceful. The room and the bathroom were spacious and clean. Breakfast was delicious (although it is slightly disconcerting that you have to pay for any small extra or deviation from the items listed on the menu). The general ambiance was good, the staff adequate but there is a general feeling at the Inn that it's staff are full of their own importance.

However, we picked the Hob Knob because we had looked at a couple of other B&B's and it was the best of the few we had seen in decor and comfort. Could be a little more friendly and less mercenary. Some of the other inns that are not so expensively decorated or appointed probably have much friendlier and less snooty staff so it is swings and roundabouts.

Edgartown is lovely although I don't think I would like to visit the Vineyard at the height of the summer season. There is a great little diner on Main Street possibly called the Main Street Diner, it is a little set back in a shopfront but you can get a fairly decent lunch there. There are a variety of Antique shops and gift shops which are fun to browse. Oak Bluffs is worth a visit, very old fashioned and Vineyard Haven has some nice shops where you can purchase Tees and Sweatshirts with a variety of MV logos. Make sure you visit Menemsha to see the Gay Head Lighthouse, on an overcast day it is very atmospheric. All in all the Vineyard is one of our favourite places although if we visit again we will probably visit a few more B&Bs before selecting the Hob Knob again.

• Stayed April 2005
bergen county njn
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2005

Or should I say HOT, my friend and I stayed on the first floor in a very stuffy, hot room. It took one and a half day to get the ac turned on. The first floor has only one ac control so if the other rooms are not asking for the ac to be turned on, you are out of luck. The inn is beautiful and very clean. It would have been nice if the owner was more accomadating, when we arrived she actually walked ahead of us and did not even hold the door while we struggled with our luggage. I think there is too much focus on her other businesses (construction, real estate) and the inn's service is suffering. Work on your smiles and basic manners of you could change the name to "The Hob Snob"

• Stayed June 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2005

I just have to say that I can not understand the bad reviews I have read about this place, except to say that they are isolated. I guess you can always find bad reviews for any place. I have been here twice - first in 2000 with 3 girlfriends, and then in 2004, came back with my husband b/c I loved it so much. I was not disappointed on either visit. From the comfortable beds, linens, sheets, pillows, & bathrooms to the outstanding breakfasts with homemade scones (which I found just delicious) and a full choice breakfast menu to the afternoon tea/freshly-baked snacks - I would be hard pressed to "look for" something wrong with this place. I always felt pampered and my needs/questions always attended to in a friendly and prompt manner - professional. It may be true that Maggie (the proprietor) does not live on the premises - she actually lives 2 houses away! But on both my visits I met her, saw her working in the kitchen (which I may add is spotless) and at the front desk. This place is decorated so lovely - it just draws you in. I really could not find anything wrong with my visit here - except that I did not have the time to stay longer.

• Stayed August 2004
east greenville, pa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2005

Last month, I surprised my husband with a trip to The Hob Knob in Martha's Vineyard. We had a fabulous time. The people there, and I mean everyone of them, were top notch and took care of us from the moment we walked through the door. The Inn was warm and inviting full of little details. Every night we sat on two chairs nestled by a warm fire with either a cup of hot tea or a glass of sherry and freshly baked cookies compliments of The Hob Knob. The worst part of our stay was the day we had to leave. We will definitely be back!!!

alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2005

I can't say enough about the attention to detail and the service at the Hob Knob Inn. The staff were so friendly and helpful. We were traveling with our two young girls and the staff went out of their way to see that they were comfortable and had a wonderful time. The rooms are nice with very comfortable beds. We had two rooms, and they were both nicely furnished and clean. The afternoon tea and cookies are wonderful as is the morning breakfast. The breakfast is a very hearty meal not a buffet of pastries and fruits. The inn itself is very beautiful yet relaxed and comfortable. Their is nothing stuffy about this place. We will return.

• Stayed October 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2005

Having just spent a blissful few days at the Hob Knob Inn in Edgartown, we would like to recommend this treasure to anyone who may be traveling to Martha’s Vineyard. It is a small, casual but sophisticated, luxury hotel, only blocks from the center of this lovely town – we walked to everything. The Inn is bright and beautifully appointed, and every detail is top-of-the-line. The pictures on the website are completely representative of the whole place. The bed was the most comfortable I’d ever slept in! The staff is friendly and professional and quickly responded to our every need. Breakfast was scrumptious, and afternoon tea had an amazing variety of sweets, which we enjoyed out on the porch. The staff is happy to give out the recipes, and we are still trying to duplicate those yummy scones…. A gracious, hospitable, and plush destination – we came home completely re-charged and looking forward to a return visit.

Been to The Hob Knob? Share your experiences!